Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 10:58 It is currently 03 May 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello AshC4321,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your profile looks good on the surface. To begin with, your law degree from the National University of Singapore with a second upper classification is a strong academic foundation. While it's not in a business-related field, it still demonstrates your ability to handle complex legal concepts and analytical thinking. Your GMAT score of 420 is significantly below the average GMAT scores for top MBA programs, including Kellogg. This score may raise concerns for admissions committees and could potentially limit your chances of being admitted to competitive schools.

Speaking about your work experience, your work experience as a legal counsel in a niche global streaming service, where you lead the marketing and HR departments, demonstrates your involvement in the commercial and legal aspects of running a business. Your exposure to the tech, media, and entertainment industry is relevant and could add value to your MBA application. Additionally, your previous experience in a top local law firm, working on major transactions and leading negotiations, showcases your professional growth and expertise.

Coming to your ECs, your involvement in volunteer work, such as interacting with residents and feedback initiatives, volunteering as a lawyer in legal clinics, and establishing an alumni band, demonstrates your commitment to serving the community and your ability to work with diverse groups of people. These experiences can showcase your leadership skills and passion for making a positive impact.

Your post-MBA goal of working in consulting, particularly in the sustainability field, is aligned with the current trends and demands in the business world. Your goal demonstrates a clear focus and a desire to contribute to a specific industry, which can be an asset in your application.

Considering the above evaluation, retaking the GMAT to improve your score would likely strengthen your application, especially for competitive schools like Kellogg. A higher GMAT score can help demonstrate your quantitative abilities and increase your competitiveness among other applicants. Aim for a score that aligns with the average or above-average GMAT scores of admitted students at your target schools.

Alongside retaking the GMAT, continue to leverage your strong work experience, emphasize your leadership roles and achievements, and highlight your extracurricular activities that showcase your passion for community engagement. Admissions committees also value diversity, and as a Singaporean female, you bring a unique perspective and cultural background to the table.

Lastly, ensure that your application essays effectively convey your motivations, goals and fit with each target school. Tailor your essays to demonstrate how your experiences, skills, and aspirations align with the specific programs and values of each school. Remember that while GMAT scores are important, they are just one component of your overall application. Strengthening other aspects of your profile, such as your work experience, extracurricular activities, and essays, can also significantly enhance your chances of admission.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!
Good luck with your application process!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

AshC4321 wrote:
Hi there, could I please have my profile below evaluated? Specifically, it would be really helpful if I could have views on whether its worth retaking my GMAT to get into my reach school (Kellogg). Thank you in advance!

Background: Singaporean, female

Education: Law degree from National University of Singapore, Second Upper

GMAT: 420 48Q|41V

Work experience (4.5 years):
I am currently working as a legal counsel in a niche global streaming service where I am the lead for the marketing and HR departments. I advise on commercial and legal risk and am heavily involved advising on the operational aspects of running a business in the tech, media and entertainment industry. I moved to this role to have more exposure on the commercial aspect of legal work and how businesses are run and the opportunity to work in an international environment.
I was previously working as a lawyer in one of the top local firms in the tech and media practice. I completed multiple major transactions and had the chance to lead a negotiation as a junior lawyer. I was also heavily involved in running a multinational study on tech-related issues which culminated in a report advising the government on legislative and infrastructural changes.

Extra Curricular:
Currently a volunteer for a government initiative where I interact with residents and feedback their issues to their elected member of parliament for further action
Was a volunteer lawyer in legal clinics and had received a certificate of appreciation in recognition of the frequency of my volunteering.
Helped to grow an online platform which sought to connect individuals interested in donating or collecting food scraps for composting
Established the alumni band for my high school

Goals
I would like to work in consulting post-MBA, preferably in the sustainability field.

Target schools: LBS, Tuck, SOM, Kellogg
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]