It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012
Profile evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 20:00
Hey Paul/Linda,

I would like to request an evaluation on my profile below.

Program: MBA(FT)
Area of interest in MBA : Strategy
Post MBA: Management Consulting (concentrating on technology firms)
GMAT: 770 V:50, Q:45
GPA: 3.7 GPA in MS in Computer Science from Top 40 state school. BEng (Comp. Engg) from Mumbai University (roughly translated to 3.4 GPA).
Work experience(WE): 3 years (by the time I start bschool) in tech division of top i-bank doing business analysis and and project management. My work experience includes leading technology teams in cross-division projects and working closely with business to solicit requirements, manage expectations and communicate progress. 4 years part-time experience working with management/tech/accounts of family manufacturing business during undergrad.
Nationality: Indian
Extra-curriculars/community: minor (photography, film, south asian n/w at work, mensa).

I plan to apply to the following schools:
HBS
Wharton
Kellogg
Booth
Tuck
Columbia
Ross

Additional questions:
1. Are there any other schools you recommend that I check with strengths in managment consulting placements in the big 3 firms?
2. Should I consider replacing one of the above schools with Sloan?
Agreed that there do not seem to be any real safety schools on this list. I'm targeting schools with strong placements in the big 3 firms.

Thanks,
Ezekiel2517

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 20:30
Ezekiel2517,

You are aiming too high given your profile (Indian male IT), which is common, and your weak extracurriculars. Michigan is your best bet on that list; HBS, Kellogg, and Columbia should not be on it IMO. Yes, MIT Sloan might be a good one to add as a reach school. In terms of other, more doable schools with strong placements in consulting, consider Duke, Virginia, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, and Georgetown.

Good luck to you,
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2009, 18:42
Hey Paul,

I really appreciate the quick feedback. I was wondering: does the fact that I'm an Indian male IT with limited EC's really kill my application that much? I guess I didn't fill in all that much about my career arc:
1. I started off with a bachelor's degree in computer engineering and simultaneously started working designing the technology systems of the family manufacturing business. As time went on, my interest in technology remained strong, though my desire to remain in a purely technical field (get my PhD. in CS) waned, and I began to take on more business oriented roles in the business, launching a few productive($$) initiatives and leading people which got me interested in people and project management.
2. During my master's degree I specialized in project management thus moving more towards the management of technology.
3. Although I work in the tech dept at the ibank, my role is that of a business analyst and project manager. As a BA, I work as a conduit between business and technology (frankly I don't know all that much about either. The tech platform used by the system is way outdated), but I am able to gather requirements and communicate effectively between them. I act as the spokesperson for the project. As a project manager, I am responsible for the project start to finish through the software lifecycle and lead cross-division teams to achieve that end. I do the same level of work as the other people in my team (who are 20-30 years older than me) and have titles like VP, and have been very successful with all the projects I've led. The two people I will be getting recommendations from are my enthusiastic mentors, give me excellent performance reviews, and should be giving me great recommendations.
4. My career path of getting into MC in the short term, specializing in the tech industry flows with my past experiences. My experience as a business analyst (interviewing clients/eliciting requirements/presenting to the clients) and a project manager (strategic thinking, people leadership) strongly echo the required skills in the field.

Apologies for the long post, but these are some of my thoughts in deciding to apply to bschool (I ranted this stuff out in about 5 minutes, so it may not be incredibly coherent). Does my background and lack of EC's still keep my out from the schools I plan to target?

Thanks again,
Ezekiel2517

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 12:06
ezekiel2517,

A lack of ECs is unfortunately a major issue at top U.S. schools, though less so at European schools. For that reason, I don't think HBS and Kellogg should be on your list. If you want to add Columbia as another long-shot I wouldn't protest too much. Unfortunately, you are seeking admission to the same top schools that everyone else is, so your 'blemishes' -- a very common profile demographically speaking and a lack of EC leadership -- hurts you.

Good luck,
Re: Profile evaluation request   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2009, 12:06

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap