GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 23:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request (Entrepreneur)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation Request (Entrepreneur)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 23:08
Thank you for taking the time out for evaluating my profile. I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying next year! I would like to know what school I would be a good fit for.

Profile:
GMAT: 650 (Q48, V31) I think I could get 680 by the time that I apply
Black/Male/24 years (26 at matriculation)
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Computer Engineering minor Business administration GPA: 3.00/4.00
Patents Owned: 1

LOW GPA:
My 3.00 GPA was due to a serious car accident the summer before my sophomore year in which my best friend and I were T-boned by a semi-truck. I was forced to drink through a straw for 25 days due to my several injuries. I became depressed which resulted in my poor academic performance. Luckily, I was able to focus my time away from sports and realize my passion for business. I consider my GPA recovery to be one of my greatest accomplishments because I proved to myself that I have the grit to overcome adversity.

EXPERIENCE:
I started two startups in college. The first business I competed in several pitch competition for. I won $6000 at a pitch competition at citywide event, place top 3 in South Carolina a won $10,000 in prizes, and place top 40 out of 25,000 globally. For the second business I went from winning the best engineering senior design project to being accepted into a startup incubator (3% acceptance rate). I raised $130,000 at over $1,000,000 valuation through the incubator, investors, and kickstarter. I also built my team to 7 people and have presented to President Jimmy Carter along with Fortune 100 and business executives.

Also shortly after I graduated I was a leader for Georgia's largest startup and helped 500 businesses get started all in one day. I trained, certified and oversaw 20+ consultants for the event. This was all ran through a nonprofit.

Currently I am being contracted by one of arms forces (Army, Navy or Air Force) to lead their product intuitive for 2 major releasing soon. I basically the final say on what features are implemented and make sure the project is on track. I also have a machine learning project that I am developing on the side that I think has real potential.

I also trade stocks in my spare time. This is how I helped pay off my student loans. I have turned $13,000 in $35,000 with probably around 600 trades. I plan to save to $70k to pay for grad school. I am not sure if schools will even care that I can do this at all.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
I mentor several people and help them with their startups. I have help people successfully raise capital and win pitch competitions.

I also taught a class to teach freshman how to adjust to college and mentored about 40 students over 2 years. This took about 15 hours a week.

LONG TERM GOAL:
Long term I would like start another company with someone I meet in business school and consult college students on startup as a way for me to give back. Then I would like to consult Fortune 500 companies for a few years while teaching 1-2 credit course on entrepreneurship at reputable college as a hobby. I really enjoy helping and teaching but I want to have a formal background on top of everything I have done on my own. I plan on starting a "gifted" high school in 15 or so years. Finally I would like to get into venture capital or at the very least be an angel investor.

I would like to apply to Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Duke & Yale. I can get great LOR, anywhere from a previous associate dean of MBA program at one of those 5 schools to my co-founder and several other mentors. I don’t know how well I fair against competition at these schools. Is my profile even unique? Can you let me know my chances at each? What else should I do to make me look better for the future since I still have time. Also please recommend other schools if you think that I could be a better fit for.

Thanks in advance!!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation Request (Entrepreneur)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 03:51
Thegmatman wrote:
Thank you for taking the time out for evaluating my profile. I really appreciate it!

I plan on applying next year! I would like to know what school I would be a good fit for.

Profile:
EDUCATION: Bachelors in Computer Engineering minor Business administration GPA: 3.00/4.00

LOW GPA:
My 3.00 GPA was due to a serious car accident the summer before my sophomore year in which my best friend and I were T-boned by a semi-truck. I was forced to drink through a straw for 25 days due to my several injuries. I became depressed which resulted in my poor academic performance. Luckily, I was able to focus my time away from sports and realize my passion for business. I consider my GPA recovery to be one of my greatest accomplishments because I proved to myself that I have the grit to overcome adversity.

EXPERIENCE:
I started two startups in college. The first business I competed in several pitch competition for. I won $6000 at a pitch competition at citywide event, place top 3 in South Carolina a won $10,000 in prizes, and place top 40 out of 25,000 globally. For the second business I went from winning the best engineering senior design project to being accepted into a startup incubator (3% acceptance rate). I raised $130,000 at over $1,000,000 valuation through the incubator, investors, and kickstarter. I also built my team to 7 people and have presented to President Jimmy Carter along with Fortune 100 and business executives.

Also shortly after I graduated I was a leader for Georgia's largest startup and helped 500 businesses get started all in one day. I trained, certified and oversaw 20+ consultants for the event. This was all ran through a nonprofit.

Currently I am being contracted by one of arms forces (Army, Navy or Air Force) to lead their product intuitive for 2 major releasing soon. I basically the final say on what features are implemented and make sure the project is on track. I also have a machine learning project that I am developing on the side that I think has real potential.

I also trade stocks in my spare time. This is how I helped pay off my student loans. I have turned $13,000 in $35,000 with probably around 600 trades. I plan to save to $70k to pay for grad school. I am not sure if schools will even care that I can do this at all.

EXTRA CURRICULAR:
I mentor several people and help them with their startups. I have help people successfully raise capital and win pitch competitions.

I also taught a class to teach freshman how to adjust to college and mentored about 40 students over 2 years. This took about 15 hours a week.

LONG TERM GOAL:
Long term I would like start another company with someone I meet in business school and consult college students on startup as a way for me to give back. Then I would like to consult Fortune 500 companies for a few years while teaching 1-2 credit course on entrepreneurship at reputable college as a hobby. I really enjoy helping and teaching but I want to have a formal background on top of everything I have done on my own. I plan on starting a "gifted" high school in 15 or so years. Finally I would like to get into venture capital or at the very least be an angel investor.

I would like to apply to Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Duke & Yale. I can get great LOR, anywhere from a previous associate dean of MBA program at one of those 5 schools to my co-founder and several other mentors. I don’t know how well I fair against competition at these schools. Is my profile even unique? Can you let me know my chances at each? What else should I do to make me look better for the future since I still have time. Also please recommend other schools if you think that I could be a better fit for.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Thegmatman

Nice nick.

Being black male, puts you in excellent position in terms of culture diversification.

So that alone is going to be your big advantage.

Don't worry about GPA you already explained that nicely, so I dont see a problem there.

Relax.

Your experience with start ups is a deal breaker, ad com's are going to love that !

Non profit side of the story makes it even better.

Machine learning project, awesome !

How's machine learning project fitting with trading stocks ? Have you tried to built automated trading system ?

I am just curious.

Of course they should care about your ability to turn $13,000 into $35,000 and your plan to save 70k.

It shows good judgment, that you have insight in finance/trading and strength of character to save and abstain from spending.

it also means that you have clear long terms goals and that you are willing to sacrifice for them.

They certainly should care.

I do :)

And I just gave you example how to spin that story, in case you need it.

Your long terms goal are great and admirable.

You certainly have a fair chance at your application list : Emory, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Duke & Yale.

Yale could be exception, but then again it doesn't have to be.

I am going to work with your reachable GMAT score of 680, although 650 is also fine, to provide you with some info.

Average GMAT scores of your desired ones :

Emory GMAT 678, with GMAT scores stretching from 620 to 740 in the 80% range

Cornell Median GMAT 700

Carnegie Mellon Median GMAT 690, GMAT Range 620-740

Duke average GMAT 702, Median GMAT 710, range 660-750

Yale Average GMAT 725, Median GMAT 730, GMAT Range 690-760

Since you asked for even more schools, I did extensive research of some of the best business schools in US and I am going to provide you with insight and recommendations, within your reach, based on average GMAT scores:

I am going to bold ones that I particularly recommend, although you may have different preferences, from any aspect (brand awareness, location, curriculum options etc. )

Washington Univ. (Olin) 695

McCombs (Texas-Austin) 694

Georgetown McDonough 692

Vanderbilt Owen 690

Foster (Washington) 688

Notre Dame Mendoza 682

Boston University 682

Florida (Hough) 681

Carlson (Minnesota) 680

Marshall (Southern California) 679

Scheller (Georgia Tech) 678

Rice Jones 676

BYU Marriott 674

Carey (Arizona State Univ) 672

Iowa (Tippie) 670

Wisconsin-Madison 669

Kelley (Indiana) 668

Simon (Rochester) 667

Broad (Michigan State) 664

Fisher (Ohio State) 664

Smith (Maryland) 658

SMU (Cox) 656

Merage (UC-Irvine) 656

Mays (Texas A&M) 654

Illinois 654

Georgia Terry 643

George Washington 642

Smeal (Penn State) 636

Purdue Krannert 635

Temple (Fox) 632

Katz (Pittsburgh) 607

Since it is all about entrepreneurship for you, there lies your passion :) , I looked in Financial Times, Top MBA and US News rankings for best entrepreneurship programs and find out that for instance Babson College (Olin) is particularly strong in that field, it is even placed as number 1 in US as per US News, or number 3. in the world as per FT.

You may want to look deeper in those lists/rankings, to find some other schools that have particularly strong departments in entrepreneurship or just to compare already mentioned ones, therefore I provide you with links below.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... rship-2017

https://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/spe ... reneurship

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... p-rankings

I hope this helps !

Good luck with your application, I am sure you will accomplish your (MBA) goals ! :)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request (Entrepreneur)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 12:48
Thegmatman wrote:

Profile:

LOW GPA:

EXPERIENCE:

EXTRA CURRICULAR:

LONG TERM GOAL:

Thanks in advance!!

I think with your strong GMAT Quant score there are many programs that you could be a strong candidate for-- so I would encourage you to think about programs where you could be a great fit. Of the programs you mention-- I think Emory, Carnegie Mellon are strong possibilities for you. I also think you could present well at Olin. Duke- I encourage you to apply early. I like Kenan-Flagler for you also. Yale and Cornell could be a little more difficult-- but still could be in reach. We can help you present a strong application if you want to learn more in a free consult I encourage you to reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request (Entrepreneur) &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 12:48

Profile Evaluation Request (Entrepreneur)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap