It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - Indian / GMAT 710 / 5 Yrs Work Ex

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.66
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request - Indian / GMAT 710 / 5 Yrs Work Ex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 05:13
Hello Team,

A quick profile evaluation on what Schools could I realistically get into will help. I am looking at admission into European or Singapore Schools. I am okay with US schools too, if I get through with a scholarship.

Work Experience

- Currently working as Head of Digital Marketing with a Start-up in Chennai, India. Report directly to the CEO & a revenue growth of 4x achieved over the course of 2 Years.
- Worked with a Mid-sized IT firm for 3 years as "Associate - Market Research & Digital Marketing". Reported Directly to AVP - Sales & Director - Solutions & Strategy.
- No International Experience, barring 2 weeks in Dubai / Sri Lanka for Primary Research
- Ran a moderately successful start-up from 2013-14, an online t-shirt business. The venture was profitable but discontinued due to time management issues, as I had a full-time job alongside.

GMAT Score - 710 (Q48, V39)
Education -
B.E Computer Science & Engineering - Anna University - 68% (3.4 GPA equivalent)
MSc International Business - Birmingham Business School, UK - 3.6 GPA equivalent

Career Aspirations
- I wish to move towards Marketing Strategy & management consulting. I aspire to work with unicorns or late-stage start-ups (Ideally), but I am also open to working with the bigger consulting firms. I also intend to do consulting for start-ups to help them crack the market.

Extra Curricular
- Teaching volunteer with Speak - Out, the English speaking project of Bhumi (India's largest Volunteer run organization) from 2012 - 2015
- Was awarded Changemaker of the year by Bhumi - 2013
- One of the 40 finalists in the "Volunteer of the Year" national level award, by iVolunteer.
- Managed the PR activities for iCubed - 2014, a national level Social Entrepreneurship competition, organized by Bhumi
- Led a team of 15 in the rehabilitation of 120 families in Lakshmi Nagar, Chennai post the Floods of 2015.
- Organized a voluntary group “Feed the Strays” with friends. Vaccination & Sterilization of 156 stray dogs till date. (February 2017 onwards)
- Conceived & implemented “Shoot the Pirates” – A 24 Hour Talk Marathon for awareness against Piracy. Recognized as the “Longest Anti-Piracy Campaign” by Asia Book of Records & India Book of Records (Sept 2017)
- Freelance writer with Sportskeeda.com (Asia's biggest multi-sports website). Nominted twice as the "Best International Cricket Writer of the Year"

My Ideal Schools would be the top 10-20 in Europe / NTU or NUS in Singapore / Canada & US - Rotman, Ivey, HEC Montreal, Duke Fuqua, UCLA Anderson, Booth, UC-Berkley among others.

Look forward to your suggestion to if my profile would match the needs of the college I am aiming for. & if there's anything that I could do different.

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Indian / GMAT 710 / 5 Yrs Work Ex [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 18:47
Hi jegan2388!

Your work experience sounds really strong -- seems like you've had great exposure and leadership at your startup. I am impressed by your long list of extra curricular activities too! Though keep in mind that current ones, or ones where you've had a long history of involvement, will be given the most weight. Two things I noticed in your profile that you should consider...1) you already have an MS in international business, so make sure you have clear/logical reasons for why you need an MBA at this point, and perhaps write an optional essay about that. 2) For your goals, at least short-term (immediately post MBA), I would go with either in-house Marketing or Consulting, I think presenting both paths could be confusing. Though you could certainly present one as your short-term goal and the other as your long-term goal.

Otherwise, I think your profile is in line with what many of those schools you listed in Europe and Singapore are looking for. More international exposure would be nice, but I know that's a hard thing to add! I think some of the US schools you listed like Berkeley and Booth will be reaches with your GMAT score, and especially if you want to try to secure a scholarship.

Best of luck!
Kate

jegan2388 wrote:
Hello Team,

A quick profile evaluation on what Schools could I realistically get into will help. I am looking at admission into European or Singapore Schools. I am okay with US schools too, if I get through with a scholarship.

Work Experience

- Currently working as Head of Digital Marketing with a Start-up in Chennai, India. Report directly to the CEO & a revenue growth of 4x achieved over the course of 2 Years.
- Worked with a Mid-sized IT firm for 3 years as "Associate - Market Research & Digital Marketing". Reported Directly to AVP - Sales & Director - Solutions & Strategy.
- No International Experience, barring 2 weeks in Dubai / Sri Lanka for Primary Research
- Ran a moderately successful start-up from 2013-14, an online t-shirt business. The venture was profitable but discontinued due to time management issues, as I had a full-time job alongside.

Education -
MSc International Business - Birmingham Business School, UK - 3.6 GPA equivalent

Career Aspirations
- I wish to move towards Marketing Strategy & management consulting. I aspire to work with unicorns or late-stage start-ups (Ideally), but I am also open to working with the bigger consulting firms. I also intend to do consulting for start-ups to help them crack the market.

Extra Curricular
- Teaching volunteer with Speak - Out, the English speaking project of Bhumi (India's largest Volunteer run organization) from 2012 - 2015
- One of the 40 finalists in the "Volunteer of the Year" national level award, by iVolunteer.
- Managed the PR activities for iCubed - 2014, a national level Social Entrepreneurship competition, organized by Bhumi
- Led a team of 15 in the rehabilitation of 120 families in Lakshmi Nagar, Chennai post the Floods of 2015.
- Organized a voluntary group “Feed the Strays” with friends. Vaccination & Sterilization of 156 stray dogs till date. (February 2017 onwards)
- Conceived & implemented “Shoot the Pirates” – A 24 Hour Talk Marathon for awareness against Piracy. Recognized as the “Longest Anti-Piracy Campaign” by Asia Book of Records & India Book of Records (Sept 2017)
- Freelance writer with Sportskeeda.com (Asia's biggest multi-sports website). Nominted twice as the "Best International Cricket Writer of the Year"

My Ideal Schools would be the top 10-20 in Europe / NTU or NUS in Singapore / Canada & US - Rotman, Ivey, HEC Montreal, Duke Fuqua, UCLA Anderson, Booth, UC-Berkley among others.

Look forward to your suggestion to if my profile would match the needs of the college I am aiming for. & if there's anything that I could do different.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.66
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 23:40
Hi Kate,

Thanks a ton for your response. This helps, and frankly gives me a good boost to my confidence in applying to the universities I mentioned.

I understand that having already done an MSc in International Business could be tricky, and I am working on presenting it well in my applications.

Point taken on presenting my goals, as one among Marketing or Consulting.

Once again. Thanks

Cheers
Jegan

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi jegan2388!

Your work experience sounds really strong -- seems like you've had great exposure and leadership at your startup. I am impressed by your long list of extra curricular activities too! Though keep in mind that current ones, or ones where you've had a long history of involvement, will be given the most weight. Two things I noticed in your profile that you should consider...1) you already have an MS in international business, so make sure you have clear/logical reasons for why you need an MBA at this point, and perhaps write an optional essay about that. 2) For your goals, at least short-term (immediately post MBA), I would go with either in-house Marketing or Consulting, I think presenting both paths could be confusing. Though you could certainly present one as your short-term goal and the other as your long-term goal.

Otherwise, I think your profile is in line with what many of those schools you listed in Europe and Singapore are looking for. More international exposure would be nice, but I know that's a hard thing to add! I think some of the US schools you listed like Berkeley and Booth will be reaches with your GMAT score, and especially if you want to try to secure a scholarship.

Best of luck!
Kate

jegan2388 wrote:
Hello Team,

Work Experience

Education -

Career Aspirations

Extra Curricular

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 13:38
Hi Jegan, happy to help. Keep us posted if you need anything else.

jegan2388 wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thanks a ton for your response. This helps, and frankly gives me a good boost to my confidence in applying to the universities I mentioned.

I understand that having already done an MSc in International Business could be tricky, and I am working on presenting it well in my applications.

Point taken on presenting my goals, as one among Marketing or Consulting.

Once again. Thanks

Cheers
Jegan

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Profile Evaluation Request - Indian / GMAT 710 / 5 Yrs Work Ex

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap