GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 15:00
Hi there! I’m faced with a big decision and not a lot of time to make it! My decision is: relax and go to Marshall in the fall OR work in a new industry and focus on improving my application and try again for the class of 2021.

I’m currently debating whether to accept an MBA offer or go back to work in Financial Services at Ameriprise. Based on my non-traditional work experience (below) I feel that this could help me to beef up my application if I re-applied in October. However, I would really only have 5 more months to work between now and then.

I hope to work in a marketing capacity within media/entertainment/sports. Here is my shortlist. Of the 5, Marshall was my 5th choice. I would prefer to work on the east coast, but am willing to head west for the best opportunity.

Ross - Rejected R2
CBS - Didn’t apply, probably was a mistake
Stern - Rejected R2
Anderson - Rejected R2
Marshall - Accepted, negotiating scholarship

I realize that Ross is the odd man out, but recognize that you can do so much through its program/network. It’s also right down the street from where I grew up, and my mom, dad and sister all went to Michigan in some capacity. This is admittedly petty, but getting in would mean a lot to me, even if I didn’t attend.

Profile:

Current Location: Metro Detroit
Undergrad: Loyola University Chicago
Majors: Communications (B.A.), Psychology (B.S.)
Minors/Concentration: Bioethics/Pre-Med (wound up changing my mind)
GPA: 3.7
GMAT: 700, V38, Q47, AWA 5.5, IR 7
(can try to improve)

WE: Just over 4 years as an on-air television sports reporter in Fargo, ND and then Burlington, VT. I was acting as the sports department head for the last year before finally being offered the official, on paper promotion. When that promotion came with a pay cut, I decided not to re-sign at the end of September and refocus towards a new goal of becoming an MBA. I picked up some part-time work in the meantime helping out at other TV stations behind the scenes. However, that work feels like a demotion on a resume.

Extracurriculars: Not much post-graduation, I was involved in CrossFit and spent what little free time I had at the gym. TV news was very close to a 24/7/365 gig. In undergrad I founded a student-run television program/club, worked in a research lab studying spina bifida, and was a founding father of a fraternity chapter.

Updates since R2 applications: I’ve just about finished Wharton’s Business Foundations online Coursera course (Intro Marketing, Accounting, Social/Human Capital, Corporate Finance, Operations, and a capstone). Other than this, I really have no prior business experience. I’ve also begun volunteering at Class Community Social Services in Detroit.

So Marshall or Ameriprise? Thanks in advance for any ideas/tips!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 16:28
Congrats!! That's awesome you got into Marshall.

I think the answer to your question would depend on what you want to do with your future career.

1. Can you get into your desired field without a MBA or through AmeriPrise? (Don't go to MBA)
2. Can you get into your desired field with a MBA from Marshall? (Go to Marshall, evaluate your $$ as well)
3. Can you get into your desired field with a MBA from specific schools only? (reapply this fall in R1)

For me, I was a firm believer in FT to look into consulting opportunities, but now I am considering doing a part-time MBA to grow my career at the current company (need to improve my GMAT first :/). Money is also a factor for me. People say MBA is a long-term investment (I truly believe that), but I do not want a MBA to hinder my life plans down the road due to student debt and I've seen people struggling with financial debt from the top MBA programs.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 11:11
smanney wrote:
Hi there! I’m faced with a big decision and not a lot of time to make it! My decision is: relax and go to Marshall in the fall OR work in a new industry and focus on improving my application and try again for the class of 2021.
Congratulations @Smanney on your Marshall admit. Given that you want to work in sports/media/entertainment/sports post MBA-- somewhat of a natural progression of your sports work pre MBA-- I think that Marshall's location in LA gives you access to many opportunities. I see the Ameriprise road as a bit of a detour-- and somewhat weakens your unique profile. There are not too many MBA programs with great contacts in the sports/media world--and I would say the schools on the coasts-- so UCLA, USC, NYU Stern and Columbia might be your best shots with also some potential at Kellogg and maybe even Wharton with the Annenberg school of Communication. Also potentially Syracuse with their connections to ESPN. So if you have a decent scholarship at USC, I'd be inclined to take it because I think it will help you get where you want to go-- and give you some great access to the LA market. I think a lot of this is going to be up to you to leverage your past contacts and find the right opportunity post MBA. I think the sooner you get started on this the better. I don't really think you need the Ameriprise route unless at some point you want to go into money management for athletes.
I’m currently debating whether to accept an MBA offer or go back to work in Financial Services at Ameriprise. Based on my non-traditional work experience (below) I feel that this could help me to beef up my application if I re-applied in October. However, I would really only have 5 more months to work between now and then.

I hope to work in a marketing capacity within media/entertainment/sports. Here is my shortlist. Of the 5, Marshall was my 5th choice. I would prefer to work on the east coast, but am willing to head west for the best opportunity.

Ross - Rejected R2
CBS - Didn’t apply, probably was a mistake
Stern - Rejected R2
Anderson - Rejected R2
Marshall - Accepted, negotiating scholarship

I realize that Ross is the odd man out, but recognize that you can do so much through its program/network. It’s also right down the street from where I grew up, and my mom, dad and sister all went to Michigan in some capacity. This is admittedly petty, but getting in would mean a lot to me, even if I didn’t attend.

Profile:

Current Location: Metro Detroit
Undergrad: Loyola University Chicago
Majors: Communications (B.A.), Psychology (B.S.)
Minors/Concentration: Bioethics/Pre-Med (wound up changing my mind)
GPA: 3.7
GMAT: 700, V38, Q47, AWA 5.5, IR 7
(can try to improve)

WE: Just over 4 years as an on-air television sports reporter in Fargo, ND and then Burlington, VT. I was acting as the sports department head for the last year before finally being offered the official, on paper promotion. When that promotion came with a pay cut, I decided not to re-sign at the end of September and refocus towards a new goal of becoming an MBA. I picked up some part-time work in the meantime helping out at other TV stations behind the scenes. However, that work feels like a demotion on a resume.

Extracurriculars: Not much post-graduation, I was involved in CrossFit and spent what little free time I had at the gym. TV news was very close to a 24/7/365 gig. In undergrad I founded a student-run television program/club, worked in a research lab studying spina bifida, and was a founding father of a fraternity chapter.

Updates since R2 applications: I’ve just about finished Wharton’s Business Foundations online Coursera course (Intro Marketing, Accounting, Social/Human Capital, Corporate Finance, Operations, and a capstone). Other than this, I really have no prior business experience. I’ve also begun volunteering at Class Community Social Services in Detroit.

So Marshall or Ameriprise? Thanks in advance for any ideas/tips!

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 12:34
Thank you Stratus! So even if I were to stay in television, you don't think it would be worthwhile to go for CBS, Stern or Anderson in R1? Starting to realize from a couple sources that finance isn't a great plan.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work &nbs [#permalink] 17 Apr 2018, 12:34

Profile Evaluation Request - Marshall or Back to Work

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap