GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request - Newcomer

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation Request - Newcomer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 13:12
First, thanks in advance for taking a look at this profile. I'm a relative newcomer to this entire process, and am really just trying to figure out how practical my candidacy is and what range of schools is realistic for me.

High Level:
26 years old, Caucasian male, US citizen
Education: Elite US University (Top 8), Double Major in Biology and History, minor in Chemistry

Stats:
GPA: 3.25
GMAT: 750

Work Experience:
- 5 years working for a consulting/business process management firm that supports public sector health and human services programs around the world. The firm played a large role in helping to implement health care reform in the US when that first came down the pike a few years ago (right around when I started working) and supports state and federal clients that administer large public insurance and other entitlement programs
- Have been promoted twice and served in a number of different roles. Started out in the operations/consulting unit, working with individual clients to address their operational issues or stand up new programs. Have also served as a product manager and solution architect for the firms pursuit of individual new business opportunities. Upon last promotion was selected to lead own team (though now only two people in reality) focused on identifying adjacent markets and new strategic partnerships for the firm's business in the domestic (US) health space
- Have had a number of key accomplishments, including proposing the acquisition of a competitor, pitching the idea to executives at my company, and helping lead the due diligence and integration process once the deal was approved. I received a corporate award for this that's only given to around 15 people a year worldwide out of a total of 18,000 employees

Extracurriculars - was drum major of the marching band at fairly large school (>100 members in band) and also led pep band for all men's and women's basketball games. Was also active in a fraternity, with a couple of minor leadership roles. Currently on alumni board for the group

Philanthropy - was philanthropy chair of my fraternity for a year, and worked for a summer for an environmental protection-focused not-for-profit. After graduation I work with the corporate foundation my company runs, meeting community groups and attending dinners/events to present.

Essays/Recs - this post nonwithstanding I think I can pull together excellent essays, and plan to start writing as soon as applications are available. I also believe that my recommendations will be excellent, based on their feedback on my performance/a draft that one of them let me read.

MBA Goals - move into strategy and operations consulting for the health care sector, particularly for clients/companies that interact with the programs that I've supported in the past (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)

I imagine my GPA will be a big stumbling block, as I was below the mean at my university (though I suppose the hard science degree might help a bit). I don't have a great way of explaining it away unfortunately, though I do think my strong job performance and recommendations will get across that I can handle the work. Any help at all would be much appreciated - thank you in advance for your time and for taking a look at this
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Boston U '20 (A)
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Newcomer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 06:40
Hello everyone,
Please help me evaluate my profile for Fall 2018 R1 applications.

Demographic: 26 years old, male, Indian

Academic background:
BTech: 6.4/10
GRE: 319
GMAT 1st attempt: 650
Planning to retake and get a score of 720 in next 3 months.

Work Experience: 5 years (as of April 2017)
Assistant Manager-Community development at CIL (16 months,1 promotion, currently working here)
Business Analyst at Cognizant Technology Solutions (37 months, 2 promotions)
Chief moderator at ChessCube India ( 7 months)

Extra-curricular:
National level chess player and online chess coach at chess.com
Lots of CSR initiatives both at my workplace and outside.
Involved in lots of Chess seminars where I sold my chess books and video tutorials.

Future goal: IT consulting

Please suggest me some B schools in US and Canada where I have decent chances of an admit.
I appreciate any comments or tips as to how I can improve my profile further. Thanking everyone in advance!

Best Regards,
Vivek

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 18:20
Hi ivracd23 -

Apologies for the slow response - we didn't realize that someone else accidentally posted on your same thread so we didn't see it. Anyway, I think you have a great profile for the top programs! Your GPA is the easiest thing to mitigate - take an online class, point to your GMAT, point to your work experience etc. I wrote a blog about this the other week that may help: https://www.vantagepointadmissions.com/ ... plications.

You mentioned a lot of extracurriculars in college but have you had many since then? Even if it was through work, that's ok. Your career is very interesting, but please make sure it's clear why you need an MBA for this work (vs. an MPP), what you'll be doing differently in a healthcare consulting company versus what you do now (the adcom will not know the nitty gritty of your sector so please clear and high level here), and of course how YOU plan to make a positive impact on the sector. Healthcare is one of those sectors where they expect a very strong "why" behind your goals. Be sure to outline your observations are part of the ACA implementation, what you think could be better, and how you would help with that (with your MBA of course). That aspect of your app is the one I'd be the most focused on as I think it will likely come down to that as the rest of your profile is in the wheel house of the top programs.

Hope this helps! Always happy to chat more if you have other questions. I work with a lot of healthcare folks every year so have a good sense for the path.

Kindly,
Meredith

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 18:20
Vivek - just letting you know that we aren't ignoring your post here - we responded to the other thread you posted in our forum.

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Newcomer &nbs [#permalink] 16 May 2017, 18:20

Profile Evaluation Request - Newcomer

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap