Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request : PhD Marketing (3Yrs WE, Hold Masters) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jegan2388 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey Jegan,
Well, to start off you seem to have a good career in the right industry, and good grades in both your degrees so far. You are probably right that the top 10-15 programs will be tough since you didn't attend top schools. But don't sell yourself short! You HAVE done well!

Now, are you good for a Phd? And where? Getting a better GMAT will always help, but the first question these schools will ask themselves is: What do we believe is his capacity to produce useful research? So, do you have any sort of experience with research or publication? What is your proposed areas of study? And your proposed thesis? What about teaching experience? This can be a nice bonus for a PhD program.

And all this stuff will need to go, of course, in your personal statement, with everything all tied together.

Best,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response.
As for your questions you asked of me, I do not have any publication as such. The only academic research I have conducted is the Post-Graduate dissertation I had in my Masters, in which I achieved distinction. And yes, I have zero teaching experience.
My proposed area of studies is in Social Media Marketing, it's influence on Consumer Behaviour and Customer Loyalty. I have an expanded idea of this, which will go into my SOP.

Based on these inputs, anything else that you believe will help me with my applications? What is the ideal set of schools I should be targeting?

Cheers
Jegan

Hey Jegan,
Well the main thing to keep in mind is that even if practical work is very useful, especially in a field like marketing, that a PhD is fundamentally and primarily an academic degree. So you don't have teaching or publication? Okay, things will work out anyway, but you WILL need to show POTENTIAL to do both well. Just like you WILL need to write a SPECIFIC proposal for your area of research and your thesis (even if you of course may change it later).

I hope this helps!!!!
Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request : PhD Marketing (3Yrs WE, Hold Masters) [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey Jegan,
Well the main thing to keep in mind is that even if practical work is very useful, especially in a field like marketing, that a PhD is fundamentally and primarily an academic degree. So you don't have teaching or publication? Okay, things will work out anyway, but you WILL need to show POTENTIAL to do both well. Just like you WILL need to write a SPECIFIC proposal for your area of research and your thesis (even if you of course may change it later).

I hope this helps!!!!
Best,
Jon

Thanks Jon.

Apologies if this comes across as a repeat question, but I have 2 more queries -

1) You say that I need to write a specific proposal for my area of research. I am to understand from the applications that, none of the schools require a proper research proposal document as such. So, you meant to say I need to have a clear idea and direction for it, mentioned in my SOP, right?

2) Applications for all schools ask for a CV? Will this cv be the same as I use for my professional job applications, or do I have to change it a bit and adhere to a format that is usually used by PhD applicants.

Your assistance shall be deeply appreciated :)

Cheers
Jegan
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
jegan2388 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey Jegan,

I hope this helps!!!!
Best,
Jon

Thanks Jon.

Apologies if this comes across as a repeat question, but I have 2 more queries -

1) You say that I need to write a specific proposal for my area of research. I am to understand from the applications that, none of the schools require a proper research proposal document as such. So, you meant to say I need to have a clear idea and direction for it, mentioned in my SOP, right?

2) Applications for all schools ask for a CV? Will this cv be the same as I use for my professional job applications, or do I have to change it a bit and adhere to a format that is usually used by PhD applicants.

Your assistance shall be deeply appreciated :)

Cheers
Jegan

Jegan
1) Some schools will ask for a proposal. If they do not, then yes, it's a pretty good idea to let them know your areas of interest and expertise...

2) Yep! Pretty much all schools. This CV should probably be tweaked from the one you use professionally, since it is designed to serve a different purpose. Not just in format, but also the content should be changed to fit their needs.

Hope this helps!
Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts