It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation(Target: Canadian B- Schools) - Female 24 Years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Profile Evaluation(Target: Canadian B- Schools) - Female 24 Years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 22:52
Hi,

My name is Shreya and I am going to apply for B-schools in Canada.Kindly evaluate my profile and whether B-schools that I have identified would be best fit.
Profile:

Indian Female
GMAT: 710(91 percentile) Q:50,V:35.IR:7/8
Ielts: 7.5 overall(R:8.5,W:6.5,L:8.5,S:6)
Undergrad: NIT Jalandhar,Electronics and Communication Engineering(CGPA 8.05/10)

Work Experience: Total work experience of 24 months: 6 months as Senior Business Analyst and 18 months as Business Analyst at EXL Analytics.( By September 2018, would have gained 3 years of experience)

Extra Curricular Activities:
Won A marketing and strategy Event in Cultural Fest in college
Managed a team of 22 members for an event in Cultural fest
Compered at department farewell organised in College
Won NASA Space Settlement Contest in 2008

Volunteer Activities: formed a small teaching unit in society and currently mentoring underprivileged kids of maids
Active Member of Music and Dramatics society in college

Future Goal: Management Consulting/Analytics Industry

Please guide which Canadian universities would best fit my profile and provide opportunity for scholarships:
1. University of British Columbia
2. Rotman
3. MCGill
4. McMaster
5. Ryerson
6. University of Alberta
7. Simon Fraser University
8. University of Calgary
or any other reputed university?
Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks :-)

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Re: Profile Evaluation(Target: Canadian B- Schools) - Female 24 Years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 23:19
700ABOVE wrote:
Hi,

My name is Shreya and I am going to apply for B-schools in Canada.Kindly evaluate my profile and whether B-schools that I have identified would be best fit.
Profile:

Indian Female
GMAT: 710(91 percentile) Q:50,V:35.IR:7/8
Ielts: 7.5 overall(R:8.5,W:6.5,L:8.5,S:6)
Undergrad: NIT Jalandhar,Electronics and Communication Engineering(CGPA 8.05/10)

Work Experience: Total work experience of 24 months: 6 months as Senior Business Analyst and 18 months as Business Analyst at EXL Analytics.( By September 2018, would have gained 3 years of experience)

Extra Curricular Activities:
Won A marketing and strategy Event in Cultural Fest in college
Managed a team of 22 members for an event in Cultural fest
Compered at department farewell organised in College
Won NASA Space Settlement Contest in 2008

Volunteer Activities: formed a small teaching unit in society and currently mentoring underprivileged kids of maids
Active Member of Music and Dramatics society in college

Future Goal: Management Consulting/Analytics Industry

Please guide which Canadian universities would best fit my profile and provide opportunity for scholarships:
1. University of British Columbia
2. Rotman
3. MCGill
4. McMaster
5. Ryerson
6. University of Alberta
7. Simon Fraser University
8. University of Calgary
or any other reputed university?
Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks :-)

Hi Shreya,

Thanks for the details. However, you missed out important elements of your professional profile. What are your work related achievements? what kind of impact have you made? How is your performance rated compared to your peers? As an applicant with relatively lesser work experience compared to class average, these questions will hold significant importance, as b-schools would want to make sure you can contribute in class.

Regarding your b-school choice, I think you have too many b-schools on that list. My strategy is always to apply to the best program where you will gain admission. So if I had to curate your list, I'd keep the top 3 and add Schulich to it. Queen's could be another option, but their new application will open only next year).

The job opportunities you get after MBA are likely to be in the area around your b-school, so you should factor the b-school location into your research. Therefore resaearch the employment stats of every program.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Profile Evaluation(Target: Canadian B- Schools) - Female 24 Years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 00:14
Thank you for an immediate response!

Following is a brief of my Work related achievements:
Trained a team of 12 people on project implementation
Developed an automation and reduced manual effort by 80%
Presented insights/projects to key stakeholders, receiving appreciations for the same
Have volunteered for developing in-house applications to optimise team productivity
Managed communication channels between offshore team and client
Designed project timelines and plan of execution
Improved operational efficiency by 10% by designing dashboard

I had included a list of universities because the top universities are a bit expensive for my budget. Could you please guide 1) whether the top universities also offer substantial scholarship for students and 2) should just focus on top ones Or should I also apply for less expensive universities considering the fees structure in mind.

Also,I appreciate your point of considering location. I’ll surely start researching on employment status of programs.

Awaiting your response! :-)

Regards,
Shreya

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 02:01
700ABOVE wrote:
Thank you for an immediate response!

Following is a brief of my Work related achievements:
Trained a team of 12 people on project implementation
Developed an automation and reduced manual effort by 80%
Presented insights/projects to key stakeholders, receiving appreciations for the same
Have volunteered for developing in-house applications to optimise team productivity
Managed communication channels between offshore team and client
Designed project timelines and plan of execution
Improved operational efficiency by 10% by designing dashboard

I had included a list of universities because the top universities are a bit expensive for my budget. Could you please guide 1) whether the top universities also offer substantial scholarship for students and 2) should just focus on top ones Or should I also apply for less expensive universities considering the fees structure in mind.

Also,I appreciate your point of considering location. I’ll surely start researching on employment status of programs.

Awaiting your response! :-)

Regards,
Shreya

I am glad to help!

1. The top programs do offer scholarships. mostly every b-school looks at all rounded development and excellence for scholarships. For you, that translates to submitting top notch applications.

2. talk to current students and alumni of your target programs/ check their Linked in Profiles to figure out how their careers have progressed since graduating from b-school. If a better ranked college leads to a more conducive job, then it will also have a higher longer term value for you.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Re: Profile Evaluation(Target: Canadian B- Schools) - Female 24 Years   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 02:01

Profile Evaluation(Target: Canadian B- Schools) - Female 24 Years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap