It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 14:46
I had to leave work after I hit my 3 year work experience mark due to personal matters. Now that everything is better, I realize it's last minute but I want to pursue an MBA starting next Fall instead of trying to find a new job.

This would require me taking the GMAT in the next 2 months, and applying for Round 3 for most schools.

Do you think I stand a chance with my profile or should I forget it? What is a safe GMAT Score - think I can do decently within 1-2 months of studying not working?

I'm really hoping to go to Berkeley ideally; Columbia and Northwestern were my dream but I realize that's a reach at this point; NYU Stern might be a possible option since I was a decent student there during my undergraduate.

Profile:
International Singaporean
Work Experience: 3 years in consulting at PwC U.S. - half in transaction advisory and half in Management Consulting
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Undergrad Degree: NYU Stern - B.S. in Business - major in Accounting and Management & Organizational Behavior
Graduate Degree: Dual-degree at NYU Stern with an M.S. in Accounting
Certification: CPA in State of NY
Leadership in University:
- President of one of the Business Societies
- Resident Assistant (RA) for 2 years
- Other smaller leadership roles, but not as significant as above two
Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 08:58
mbaprospect123 wrote:
Hi @MBAprospect123, thanks for reaching out- let me answer your questions below.I had to leave work after I hit my 3 year work experience mark due to personal matters. Now that everything is better, I realize it's last minute but I want to pursue an MBA starting next Fall instead of trying to find a new job.
I think you should do both-- try to find some kind of internship where you are still getting experience for the next 8 months- as you will appear "off the market" if you have not been doing anything professionally for this whole year- and yet I get that you don't want to start a new job when you plan to leave- so do unpaid consulting, or do an internship-- but DO SOME PROFESSIONAL work while you ALSO take the GMAT and get ready!
This would require me taking the GMAT in the next 2 months, and applying for Round 3 for most schools. Ok- my prior comment assumed you would do R1 in Fall 2018- but if you go for R3 now- then maybe just take the GMAT now- but recognize your odds are lower in R3- to have the best shot your GMAT should be significantly higher than the average- as that may help you break through.

Do you think I stand a chance with my profile or should I forget it? What is a safe GMAT Score - think I can do decently within 1-2 months of studying not working? A safe score depends on your target school- if you are looking at some of the lower end of the top 30 then maybe anything over 710 will get you some good attention. Haas you will need a better GMAT score- same for Columbia and Kellogg-- and likely same for NYU. If these are your targets-
I suggest you really study for GMAT and get a 730+ and ALSO do some kind of professional work- even an internship that further prepares you for post MBA goal is fine- and then APPLY EARLY- for Columbia and apply R1 for Haas and Kellogg. If you want to work with us to help you really do a great job on applications- reach out to us here for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

I'm really hoping to go to Berkeley ideally; Columbia and Northwestern were my dream but I realize that's a reach at this point; NYU Stern might be a possible option since I was a decent student there during my undergraduate.

Profile:
International Singaporean
Work Experience: 3 years in consulting at PwC U.S. - half in transaction advisory and half in Management Consulting
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Undergrad Degree: NYU Stern - B.S. in Business - major in Accounting and Management & Organizational Behavior
Graduate Degree: Dual-degree at NYU Stern with an M.S. in Accounting
Certification: CPA in State of NY
Leadership in University:
- President of one of the Business Societies
- Resident Assistant (RA) for 2 years
- Other smaller leadership roles, but not as significant as above two

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Re: Profile Request   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 08:58

Profile Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap