GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile review

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 11:17
I have appeared for GMAT and got 740. There are few doubts in my mind. I am really seeking for an informative answer. To start with, I am sharing certain details below.

Work experience - I have started working with my father in our business. We basically have a shop registered in India since 1989 where we provide photocopy, laminating, binding solutions and we also trade in office stationery goods. I am working here since 2012. Presently we have almost 3 million Indian rupees as our revenue figure.

Education - BCom honours with 1st class from University of Burdwan, India.Presently CFA LEVEL 3 candidate.

Query - Can I use the above mentioned work experience as a valid work experience to apply for MBA in global b-schools? And from where I need to get LORs? I think I can't get it from my father, who is my on job supervisor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton
Re: Profile review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 20:32
That looks valid work experience. You can’t get LoRs from family members for the obvious reasons. The options you can explore are customers or others in the supply chain who can comment on your work.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting

ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 19:26
You can definitely use that experience as work experience to apply for MBA. However, focus on your contribution to the business and your accomplishments. It would be great if you could link your contribution to an increase in revenues. For example, before 2012 500K indian rupees and now 3 million thanks to X, Y and Z.

Also, the admissions committee will wonder why you need an MBA. Is it to continue to run your family business? You need a compelling reason.

As for LORs, Anil is completely right. Try to use customers, vendors or any other party who can speak about you as a professional and leader. But never a family member.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:58
You can absolutely use that work experience in your application. Given the more entrepreneurial and family business nature of this business you will just need to explain your involvement and experience a bit more than is typical for my more traditional employers. I would focus on conveying two thins in particular

1)Impact/ results
-Most important aspect of how schools will evaluate your work experience, so this should be super clear. Given this is a family business schools will have their antennas up to make sure you have a track record of driving result and impact

2)Interpersonal Skill Development
-MBA programs are all about leadership and teamwork, and they are laser focused on your experiences in this regard pre-matriculation, so you need to highlight your best experiences in this regard

So if you can materially showcase this while describing your work experience you should be in good shape

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 00:32
Shubhamkesh wrote:
I have appeared for GMAT and got 740. There are few doubts in my mind. I am really seeking for an informative answer. To start with, I am sharing certain details below.

Work experience - I have started working with my father in our business. We basically have a shop registered in India since 1989 where we provide photocopy, laminating, binding solutions and we also trade in office stationery goods. I am working here since 2012. Presently we have almost 3 million Indian rupees as our revenue figure.

Education - BCom honours with 1st class from University of Burdwan, India.Presently CFA LEVEL 3 candidate.

Query - Can I use the above mentioned work experience as a valid work experience to apply for MBA in global b-schools? And from where I need to get LORs? I think I can't get it from my father, who is my on job supervisor.

Hi,
1) Your WE and other issues, articulated well, can really become your top strengths.
2) The way I see the main problem for you is to form your Post-MBA Goals and show the connection.

As already said, approach your big customers, preferably commercial enterprises for LORs. Is not as good as LORs from IBMs & Googles, but will nevertheless get you pass grade or better in that area.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Re: Profile review &nbs [#permalink] 23 Dec 2017, 00:32

Profile review

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap