Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Profile Review: 25M, 3.35 GPA, 720 GMAT, Fintech [#permalink]
Expert Reply
codipapo wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm planning to apply for my MBA in a year's time (R1 2020) to plug some holes in my profile and would appreciate any honest feedback on my target schools (given my inclination towards tech) and how to improve my profile further in the time I have before applying. Thank you!

Work Experience: (all in the Philippines, 4 years total by matriculation)
• 1 year at a local fintech wallet startup (similar to PayPal, Alipay, WeChat Pay) doing analytics - built the entire analytics and business intelligence capabilities of my vertical and helped source a sizeable investment
• 1+ years (will be 3 years by matriculation) at a global payments company (Visa, Mastercard) doing business planning and operations (more on ad hoc projects like partnership pitches, business/product proposals alongside some analytics work) and setting the overall country strategy

Extra Curriculars:
Postgrad:
I teach a management subject part-time at my alma mater

Undergrad:
Was president of my major's student organization and doubled our capital while organizing new projects related to corporate sustainability
Represented the school and won a few national competitions related to marketing and strategy

GMAT Score: 720 (V40/Q49); will retake just to see if I can score any higher

Undergrad school/major: Management Engineering major from a top 3 School in the Philippines
Undergrad GPA: 3.35 / 4.00
Race/nationality: Filipino (Asian)
Sex: Male

Goal post-MBA:
I've largely worked on analytics and ad hoc projects; I want to transition to a product manager role at a tech company where I can own, set the direction, and grow the product I handle in a more holistic manner.

Target schools:
Dream/Reach: Haas (Berkeley)
Target: Anderson (UCLA), Fuqua (Duke), Ross (Michigan), Stern (NYU), McCombs (Texas), Foster (Washington)

Hey codipapo,

On the surface, it looks like you've got everything in place! Good experience, a solid GMAT, and coherent post-MBA goals. Simply put, your story makes sense and is compelling.

A 740+ would certainly make you a more competitive applicant with Haas and maybe UCLA. But I don't think applying with a 720 is going to hold you back, especially with a 49 on quant. At this point, your success will be about executing on your applications and crafting a compelling story (for which I think you have the pieces). While on the surface, extra-cirriculars are a bit sparce, there may be other things in your background we could draw out.

So, your objectives in the next 2-3 months should be to re-take the GMAT (focus your study on verbal - as it is easier to go from a 40 to a 42-43 than it is to go from a 49Q to a 50-51), approach your potential recommenders, and start to think about how you will answer your essay questions. As an applicant from the Philippines, you won't face the same scrutiny as you would from China or India, but you still need to make sure there are no holes in your applications.

Feel free to reach out at scott@personalmbacoach.com to discuss your profile offline!

Regards,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review: 25M, 3.35 GPA, 720 GMAT, Fintech [#permalink]