GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 20:58
Hello Gmatclub community,

New here. Considering doing an MBA in fall of 2020 and looking for some guidance on realistic targets. Here is my profile:

- 28 years old, Indian-American (parents from India)
- 700 GMAT
- Went to IU Kelley (Honors) for UG, graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Worked at ATK for 4 years until Manager
- Left a few years back to start a real estate investment firm, raised about $4m from investors. Doing well. About 20-25% ROI.
- Started a construction / contracting company as well, generated $500k in revenues first year.
- Both doing well, but looking to ideally break more into 'hard' finance in same sectors, a la REPE or something similar.
- Essays and LOR's will probably be average

So, given my profile, what schools do you think are realistic?

Posted from my mobile device
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2019, 11:13
Hi GiorgiB123,

Thank you for your post. I could see you developing a school strategy that runs somewhere in the U.S. T10 to T30 range, assuming that you'd want to build a diverse strategy. That would mean including schools that are going to be hard (or really hard) to get into toward the top, schools with which you "align" in the middle, and schools where your scores and profile are solidly above average toward the back end of the range. (That doesn't mean, of course, that you'd get into those back-of-range schools; it means that if you get to know the schools super well, research and engage, make them feel your love, and deliver excellent applications / interviews, you'd have a higher chance of getting in and potentially even getting money.)

From what you've shared, your professional experience feels like it could be the strongest element of your profile. (Your GPA is good, too.) Proving yourself and advancing at ATK is a great proof point (i.e., that you have real experience and success in a demanding and well-regarded professional environment to which many of these programs deliver graduates), the real estate work is an interesting next step that could align well with your story and goals, and starting your own company (with very real revenues) shows a successful entrepreneurial streak and all of the skills, lessons, experiences, and qualities that go into that (and it too has synergistic connections with your real estate experiences, interests, and goals).

At present, your GMAT could (would) limit your upside, precluding you from really entertaining the T10 and likely making several schools in the T10 to 16 range quite difficult. In short, there are unfortunately many other applicants with similar profiles who have higher GMAT scores. That said, if you feel like you have another 20 points up your sleeve, you do have time to retake the exam. (I don't have insight into your leadership or extra-professional life, so can't comment much on that.)

Finally, I would encourage you to avoid writing off your essays and LORs are merely "average." You can control the quality of your essays, and even though your recommenders are the ones writing your LORs, your brainstorming -- and the degree to which you imbue upon your recommenders how thoughtful and specific they need to be -- can drastically improve the quality of what they ultimately submit. On the essay front, everyone has a unique story to tell, and you seem to have some really interesting work experience that you can unpack, along with really nice synergy toward your goals.

(I invite you to read more about how to think about your goals, schools, passions, and recommendations here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process)

If we connect by phone for a Free Consultation, I'm sure we could even begin to scratch the surface on what those interesting qualities, experiences, themes, anecdotes, and narrative threads could be. And we could talk more about specific schools within the range I described (with a more focused eye on your goals, which I'd love to learn more about). I'd also like to hear more about your other interests, extra-professional activities, and personal life to see what you might have cooking there. You can sign up for a Free Consultation here: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review   [#permalink] 30 May 2019, 11:13

Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep