Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 18:23 It is currently 15 May 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1591 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Review [#permalink]
PSUTOPRIVATE wrote:
Arvind89 wrote:
I am currently working as manager in a Public Sector Bank with 4 yrs of experience. But I have a gap of 5 years after my graduation. Was preparing for some Govt exams. Now I am starting my GMAT preparation , but I am having doubt that is it possible to get into a Good B-School in India with a good gmat score of 720+ or this 5 year gap would hinder that even with any Gmat score. My Gmat preparation depends on this. Wether I should go with gmat or not. Please put some clarity.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Arvind,

Thanks for sharing your profile. You should not worry about the education/career gap. 690-700 is a decent enough score to get admitted into good Indian B schools.

You will be surprised to know that majority of the PSU/Govt employees getting admitted into B-schools have break in their employment because of preparation of govt exams. One of the PSUTOPRIVATE candidates who got through ISB with scholarship this year had a four year gap of education. So there are number of such examples. Particularly for Indian colleges, the admission committee is aware of the situation of the govt exams and they consider this as a genuine reason. The career gap may be difficult to address in foreign colleges.

So, dont worry. Concentrate on getting a 700+ score and you are good to go.

In case you require any help, dont hesitate to register for free session on our website. Best Wishes!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much

Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
Arvind89 wrote:
I am currently working as manager in a Public Sector Bank with 4 yrs of experience. But I have a gap of 5 years after my graduation. Was preparing for some Govt exams. Now I am starting my GMAT preparation , but I am having doubt that is it possible to get into a Good B-School in India with a good gmat score of 720+ or this 5 year gap would hinder that even with any Gmat score. My Gmat preparation depends on this. Wether I should go with gmat or not. Please put some clarity.

Hi Arvind89

If you have 4 years of experience now (i.e. post the gap), you should be fine, with a strong GMAT score. This is not to mean that the gap will not have any impact (you will ultimately need to explain it), but it can be tackled, especially in the case of Indian B-schools. There have been several cases of applicants who applied with significant career gaps (mostly because of preparing for the UPSC exams and not making it in the end). You should focus on first getting a strong GMAT score, and then highlighting your excellent public sector bank experience. Be positive, and you will do well. All the best.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arvind89 wrote:

Hello Arvind89,

Gaps in work experience can be difficult to navigate, and 5 years is a considerable amount of time. Ideally, you will have something that you can say you were working on in the interim. This extenuating circumstance should be covered in the optional essay section of your applications. Keep in mind with these essays that you should not offer long-winded excuses or any more information than is needed.

What business schools in India are you considering? I would cautiously advise you to select a wide range of schools because of your circumstances.

The good news is that you've been in your current position for quite some time now, and likely have acquired some solid leadership skills as a manager (which, naturally, all business schools seek).

Given this gap, however, it will be crucial that you secure a strong GMAT score and perfect all other components of your application. Take a look at Personal MBA Coach's comprehensive services to learn how we can help here.

We regularly work with candidates who have had less conventional career trajectories and would be happy to help provide guidance. Feel free to send a note to scott@personalmbacoach.com to learn more.

Best,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you

Intern
Intern