GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review for Deferred Programs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review for Deferred Programs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 13:09
Background

Work experience:

Internship at largest semiconductor fab in country in process engineering (Samsung)

Internship at medium sized supplier to semiconductor industry in R&D (JSR)

Extra curricular:

Vice President of American Institute of Chemical Engineers Usc (2 yrs)

Tutor for engineering classes

On campus research in photonics lab co-authored one published paper (fresh/soph year)

Research in materials engineering lab (junior/senior year)

Volunteering at neighborhood school in South Central to teach elementary kids math (Freshman year), stopped this because my schedule was killer in regards to research and tutoring obligations

Undergrad school/major: USC (got in all by myself lol, on scholarship) /Chemical Engineering (graduate May 2020)

Other education/coursework: On track to graduate with an M.S. in Materials Engineering (December 2020)

Race/nationality: Indian/American Citizen

Sex: M

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 730 (49Q/41V)

Undergrad GPA: 3.69 (won't change too much, only have 3 classes left in undergrad)

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: I feel like engineering has a somewhat limited impact, particularly in the semiconductor and materials engineering world, where I'd like to become an exec one day. As we hit a wall in terms of advancing Moore's law, we're going to constantly need new materials, meaning new supply chains and I want to be in charge of developing and managing those operations. In the short term, I'd love to be a product manager for a biotech or semiconductor firm. I'm going to be prepared on the materials engineering side of it from internships and a presumable job in the industry next year, but I feel like I need an MBA to develop the skills necessary on the other end.

Target schools: Columbia Deferred, MIT Sloan Deferred, HBS 2+2,Chicago Booth Scholars, Stanford GSB Deferred, UVa Darden Future Years Scholars
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Review for Deferred Programs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 06:26
Hi kutagull,

Thank you for your post. I think you've got a nice base, and were you applying for normal matriculation with a 730 GMAT and 3.7 GPA (in engineering, on a scholarship), I'd generally like your academic starting point, with two small caveats. First, if you ended up applying to this particular slate of schools (i.e., a super-competitive slate) and felt like you still had a little more room to run on the GMAT (e.g., another 20 or 30 points), then I'd probably pursue that because it would mean potentially moving from the "average GMAT range" to the "premium GMAT range." Second -- and this depends hugely on what kind of job(s) you have between school and applying -- I'll be curious where your business foundation comes from. That may come in spades via future jobs, but if it doesn't, you might later need to consider taking core business courses (unless you've taken business electives not listed above).

Regarding your more immediate plans, there is no getting around the fact that this is about as competitive a slate of schools and deferred programs and such as you can muster. Again, you've got some nice things going for you (the leadership and community elements as well), but when I see people find success with what you're looking to do, there are often several elements of the profile that scream super-duper-mega-unique. Even down the line -- and again, this hinges on what job(s) you end up over the next half-decade -- this would be a very top-heavy list of schools (again hugely contingent on your jobs and experiences between now and then). Nevertheless, if you feel energized about "going for it" in the near-term, then by all means go for it. If you do apply, I'd encourage you to unpack and tell your story with as much passion and authenticity as you can, as it is more of a swing-for-the-fences scenario, and a flat, conventional application likely won't cut it.

(Also be sure to address your specific engineering-to-business plans, and how engineering enables whatever you very specifically want to come next on the business side, because on its face the upcoming engineering masters puts you deeper down that road, and here you're trying to convince MBA programs to accept you now after two years of work in.... what.... engineering? Please be sure to articulate all of that very clearly and specifically. You may wish to read through this blog post for more prompts and questions to ask yourself: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process)

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review for Deferred Programs   [#permalink] 27 May 2019, 06:26

Profile Review for Deferred Programs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep