GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review (GMAT 740 Q50 V41)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Review (GMAT 740 Q50 V41)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 05:15
Hi All!

I'm looking for a profile review:

GMAT: 740 Q50 V41

GPA: 3.44, CS, Biology

Undergrad: Large state school

Work Experience: 2 years US Peace Corps -> school -> 2 years Microsoft (Office group, WXP) - Product Management

Plans: Would not mind returning to product management, but I'd be open to consulting. I'm looking for some increased career optionality down the road, but I'd like to stay in the tech space.

Considering MBA applications to M7. Honestly, I'm not sure how competitive of an applicant I am, and I'm not sure if an MBA is an optimal path for my future. I would probably not consider any programs outside of M7. Thanks so much for helping out!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Review (GMAT 740 Q50 V41)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 11:40
Hi navin2125,

Thank you for your post. You have a very solid and unique foundation -- a strong GMAT score, solid enough GPA given your majors and GMAT score, and experience at two well regarded (if very different) organizations. I do believe you could field competitive applications to M7 programs; the real challenge (as for many applicants) will be telling your story, articulating your career path and what drives you, and tying together the whole "Peace Corps / Microsoft / Biology / Computer Science" background into an MBA.

On its face, the narrative doesn't seem super organic, but you've got a lot of great "raw material" to work with. So if you are able to to stitch it all together, you could do well. As I often share in forums, make sure you are extremely thoughtful and specific about your career goals and rationale for needing an MBA; really tell your story and what's shaped your personal and professional worldview (e.g., Peace Corps is an extremely rich experience, especially immediately post-HS if I'm reading that correctly); make sure you get to know the programs extremely well; consider how who you are and what you've done to this point PLUS the MBA equals or leads to your short- and long-term goals.

Consider what knowledge, skills, and experience you have that are already relevant; consider what knowledge, skills, and experience you're missing and therefore need to acquire via the MBA; consider how exactly you'd acquire them at each MBA program (courses, clubs, extracurriculars, etc.); consider how you'd uniquely contribute; consider what about a given program's culture, community, and career opportunities make it right for you; attend events, speak with current students and alumni, and visit if you can.

In short, career goal specificity, school specificity, and "telling your story" are all critical. Get to know the programs and try to determine which are right for you. Some of that will have to do with career aspirations (i.e., technology), but other factors like location, class size, teaching style, and community matter greatly, too. Within the M7, it's wise to consider HBS and Stanford in their own category (i.e., long shots for pretty much everyone). "M7 only" strategies are inherently aggressive (and should be understood as such), but with the right execution (per above), I do think you have a pretty fascinating and appealing combination of experiences and skills, so you should feel justified (even if "feeling justified" doesn't promise any results).

Berkeley-Haas might be another consideration for you given your social impact and technology background. Both resonate with Haas, and if you're interested in tech, there is definitely career and geographic alignment there, with little or no give-up relative to certain M7 programs (and arguably more value in Silicon Valley). It's a rather small program (with a correspondingly low acceptance rate that trails only HBS, Stanford, and MIT Sloan), so be careful with your overall risk profile, but it might be worth a look.

Hope this helps! I'd be happy to continue the conversation (and add some more nuance) if helpul: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

navin2125 wrote:
Hi All!

Work Experience: 2 years US Peace Corps -> school -> 2 years Microsoft (Office group, WXP) - Product Management

Plans: Would not mind returning to product management, but I'd be open to consulting. I'm looking for some increased career optionality down the road, but I'd like to stay in the tech space.

Considering MBA applications to M7. Honestly, I'm not sure how competitive of an applicant I am, and I'm not sure if an MBA is an optimal path for my future. I would probably not consider any programs outside of M7. Thanks so much for helping out!

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 21:23
Echoing some of the thoughts presented here navin2125:
  1. The basics of your profile look in the right ballpark - GPA, GMAT, Brands, all good!
  2. What's not clear is the actual work content. While Product Management is great, it will be important if you've had some achievements/impact in that role or just another in a huge bunch. As alluded to earlier, it will also be important to understand if there is any component of biology that seeps in there.
  3. You have also not mentioned anything on the ECs front. Read here as to why they matter.
  4. In terms of career transition, the general trend is from Consulting to Tech/PM, not the other way round. So if you are planning that, do come up with a good transition plan.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 00:59
navin2125 wrote:
Hi All!

50 is a great number in terms of a quad score, this is the average at GSB right now and so I would say the doors are open. In less you are extremely overrepresented. Would be helpful to know your citizenship ethnicity and gender.

This is solid, it's not sky high but both of those disciplines are very difficult and that will be taken into consideration. Along with the overall great inflation situation where you went to school.

This is interesting, are you interested in leveraging the international stuff? Is that part of your future career goal? International work experience is a prize possession for pretty much all of M7 but you might want to shortlist schools based on those that most value that.

To be quite honest it's very important for you to identify your career goals so that we can best select the right schools and the right goals. It's possible that you will need to take on a stated goal kind of a thing but I always think it's best to know your real goals before you choose schools.

It really helps put forth a compelling application when you research yourself (introspection) the schools and your goals….that is kind of the Trinity of MBA applications

The information we have to work with his pretty superficial but um from what I can see, you do seem like a very competitive applicant. Meaning that you have good stats, have worked at a prestigious company and have international work experience.

However if you are just kind of throwing a career dart out into the ether then this will not make the boat float my friend. They really don't admit your GPA or GMAT score they admit the person and so they need to know you and know your intentions. Why would an MBA not be a slam dunk in terms of achieving your goals?

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 08:09
navin2125 wrote:
Hi All!

Your profile definitely has a lot of potential, I don’t see M7 as unrealistic IF you can nail that post-MBA goal somehow. You say you are not sure if it is the way to go for you, and therefore, I would advise you to wait, have another think etc. until you are sure about what you want to do and if an MBA is a must for you, how it will help you reach your goal etc.

It’s not super common that the lack of a clear post-MBA goal is the biggest weakness in an applicants profile but I think this is definitely the case here, so get to work on that as soon as possible.

Here’s some more information about post-MBA goals that you might find helpful:
https://aringo.com/career-goals-essay/
https://aringo.com/hacking-the-mba-applications-part-two-how-to-find-your-post-mba-career-goals-for-your-mba-application/

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Vibranture
Profile Review (GMAT 740 Q50 V41)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 06:30
Hi navin,

Your Biology background could position you well for the roles in healthcare space - both in consulting and product management. It will all come down to how to make your story about need for MBA and your career goals. The top b-schools, esp the 'M7' look for focused applicants who have clarity and vision in their career plans.

Drop me an email and we can discuss your goals and school choices as well as how to create a strong application. I can be reached at mail@vibranture.com and on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/shea-rai-vibranture/

In the meantime, check out this article I wrote sometime back:
How B-schools will evaluate your profile
http://www.vibranture.com/articles/how- ... rofile.htm

Good luck!

navin2125 wrote:
Hi All!

[/quote]

Shea Rai is an MBA alumna from Ross (Michigan) and an MBA/EMBA Admissions Consultant, at VIBRANTURE.COM. She helps students from across the globe get admitted to their dream B-schools.

Want to see what Vibranture clients are saying about their experience?
Click here http://www.vibranture.com/essay/mba-essay-writing-india-feedback.htm

Profile Review (GMAT 740 Q50 V41) &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 06:30

Profile Review (GMAT 740 Q50 V41)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap