GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 08:30

Happening NOW:

INSEAD Rolling Out R1 Admission Decisions - Join CHAT Room2 to Get Latest Updates from Fellow Applicants

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review/Recommendation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review/Recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 19:12
I'm attempting to gauge my potential for some of the top MBA programs, and am not too sure where I stand or how my experience will be viewed. Most of my peers have gone through PT programs (although one former peer just completed a FT MBA at HBS, and another is currently at Sloan), but I have my sights set on a FT program to keep potential career transitions in play. I'm prepping to take the GMAT in early 2018 and plan on submitting applications next Fall. Another twist is that I'm recently married, and my wife and I are planning on moving in March 2018 to begin our life together. This will hopefully include another pivot if I'm able to gain admission into a Top 10 FT program. I'm wondering if our move would be a good time to target a different job function that may be more impressive to adcoms. I don't plan on H/S/W being attainable, but am planning on applying as a stretch (why not?) pending my final GMAT score. My target schools are Booth (quantitative reputation, which suits my background) and Kellogg (reputation for having great community and for General Management), but Top 10 is my goal. My extracurriculars are also pretty unimpressive, so I'm looking at options to build those up as well. My current profile is below.

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering & Petroleum Engineering (Double Major) at a large (Midwest) state school - 3.4 GPA (Freshman year ended with a sub-3.0 GPA, but managed a 3.7-4.0 through the rest of undergrad)
Work Experience: 4 years with a F500 Oil & Gas company - 2 years in a rotationary training program, 2 years as a Production Engineer managing an onshore unconventional oil play. Potential to target a new job that will enhance my application, if necessary.
Certifications: Professional Engineer (Petroleum Engineering)
GMAT: *720-740 in predictor tests.
Extracurriculars/Hobbies: Recruiting at the engineering school of my alma mater for my employer, CrossFit (competed in a few local team competitions), compete in recreational sports (basketball, flag football, soccer, kickball), and just recently began Toastmasters.
Post-MBA Goal: General Management with a large international energy company. I'm also very interested in a transition to Management Consulting or Product Management. However, I plan on sticking with the General Management route in my apps as I have a clearer image of what that path would entail.

Assuming I'm able to hit my target GMAT, how realistic are my goal schools (Top 10)? Would you recommend a new job function (post move) to enhance my profile?

Thank you!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Review/Recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 19:01
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have a good profile and you have done a nice job of identifying some of your weaker areas. What is your demographic, I'm assuming white male? I think you can be competitive for the bottom of the top 10 and with an awesome profile maybe a bit higher. Your story will be key for you so make sure you're identifying ways to stand out while showing demonstrating a strong fit with your target programs. Your current job function as an engineer is fairly common in MBA admissions, unless your next move gets you closer to your eventual post-MBA career goals I'm not sure a career change necessarily makes sense at this time

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review/Recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 03:37
Awesome, that is encouraging. Thanks for your insight!

Yes, I'm a white male. Would pushing myself to target a 760 on my GMAT help my case, or is this an instance where the rest of my profile is the limiting factor?

Profile Review/Recommendation

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap