GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Profile Review Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 12:12
Hi,

I'm male, 21, Polish.

I'm applying to LSE for MSc Finance, LBS for MSc in Financial Analysis and for MSc Finance on the Manchester University (all three require at least upper secondary honors degree).

GMAT score - not yet taken (I'm sitting it mid-November), but so far my online attempts at official GMAC mock tests ended with 760 (Q49 V45) and 730 (Q47 V42), so I suspect around 720 (to be on the safe side).

My average grade at the moment is equal to lower secondary honors degree (or at least LSE, LBS and Manchester University consider it to be from what I understand), however I still have one full year to go, and due to the structure of my program I expect to receive an upper secondary, or maybe even first class honors degree from the second best university of economics in Poland (sorry for not speaking gpa-wise, but I have a hard time understanding how to convert the grades).
What's more, I have a second undergrad degree going on, parallelly with the first one (with a slightly worse average, probably will end up as upper/lower secondary honors).

Work exp:
By January I will have 12 months of part-time work experience (including 3 months in a VC fund and 9 months in a big advisory company).

Extracurricural:
I have completed a couple of projects (for one of them I was awarded a Project Management Fundamentals certificate), a few competitions (some with very good results), realised a scientific project, written an article about it (yet to be published, I'm working on it, I'll try to get it published before my application) and presented it on an international conference.
I also actively participated in two student research groups, closely cooperating with their management.

My biggest concern is my grade average and how the recruiters will look at it (whether they just dump all the applications under certain grade level in the bin or hopefully try to read through them).

I also have two questions:

1. Are the grades usually weighted againts ECTS points?
2. How can I let the recruiters know that despite being in the lower secondary honors range at the time of my application, I will undoubtedly receive at least upper secondary honors degree by the end of my program?

I would be really grateful, for every evaluation of my chances in mentioned programs and for every answer to my questions I can get :).
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Re: Profile Review Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 15:37
8kozak8 wrote:
Hi,

I'm male, 21, Polish.

I'm applying to LSE for MSc Finance, LBS for MSc in Financial Analysis and for MSc Finance on the Manchester University (all three require at least upper secondary honors degree).

GMAT score - not yet taken (I'm sitting it mid-November), but so far my online attempts at official GMAC mock tests ended with 760 (Q49 V45) and 730 (Q47 V42), so I suspect around 720 (to be on the safe side).

My average grade at the moment is equal to lower secondary honors degree (or at least LSE, LBS and Manchester University consider it to be from what I understand), however I still have one full year to go, and due to the structure of my program I expect to receive an upper secondary, or maybe even first class honors degree from the second best university of economics in Poland (sorry for not speaking gpa-wise, but I have a hard time understanding how to convert the grades).
What's more, I have a second undergrad degree going on, parallelly with the first one (with a slightly worse average, probably will end up as upper/lower secondary honors).

Work exp:
By January I will have 12 months of part-time work experience (including 3 months in a VC fund and 9 months in a big advisory company).

Extracurricural:
I have completed a couple of projects (for one of them I was awarded a Project Management Fundamentals certificate), a few competitions (some with very good results), realised a scientific project, written an article about it (yet to be published, I'm working on it, I'll try to get it published before my application) and presented it on an international conference.
I also actively participated in two student research groups, closely cooperating with their management.

My biggest concern is my grade average and how the recruiters will look at it (whether they just dump all the applications under certain grade level in the bin or hopefully try to read through them).

I also have two questions:

1. Are the grades usually weighted againts ECTS points?
2. How can I let the recruiters know that despite being in the lower secondary honors range at the time of my application, I will undoubtedly receive at least upper secondary honors degree by the end of my program?

I would be really grateful, for every evaluation of my chances in mentioned programs and for every answer to my questions I can get :).

Hello 8kozak8

First of all 720 would be enough to get you in all schools on your list.

By the way, you have good schools on your list and mentioned programs are interesting.

I would give preference to LBS and LSE due to brand recognition and location, however Manchester is also considered to be top in UK/EU region.

I understand your conundrum toward GPA issues.

The best way would be to contact them directly and ask how they would evaluate your case in described specific circumstances.

Worst case scenario you may end up waiting to apply next year when you will have desired GPA and would graduate.

Having two undergrad degrees could be also potential issue, since they may expect for you to have on both upper secondary honors.

You need to ask that also.

On the other hand, they may allow you to apply now and if everything goes right, they may offer you conditional admission, where you will need to prove you did actually graduate with upper secondary honors, before starting the program next year.

Working experience and extracurricular activities are fine, where having published article and international conference presentation would be important plus.

Don't quite understand your question regarding ECTS points.

The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System serves as apples to apples comparison of workload you had to invest to complete the studies or pass particular exam.

I suppose they will expect you to have 240 ECTS points after graduation, if bachelor studies are 4 years in Poland...if not 180 should suffice, since I think they in Britain have 3+2 system instead of 4+1 (bachelor + master ).

If your question actually was, like for instance if you score A on harder exam should it increase more your GPA than it would be if you scored same mark on easier exam with lower ECTS points....I dont believe it works that way.

I think I already answered your second final question above.

I am certain they had similar cases in past, so they must have some written policy regarding that.

Contact them, ask them same question and you will know from there how to proceed.

If you are in rush, you can always apply to other schools in UK or EU, who may not have such strict or "high" demand regarding GPA as minimum requirement.

Good Luck and keep us posted with their reply ! ;)
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: Profile Review Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 04:53
Alright, so for anybody who is in the same place I was:
They understand the differences in grading systems between universities and consider your grades against your grading system, as well as the potential to get a higher grade. So if you're still not sure whether to apply - do apply and good luck ;).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review Request   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2019, 04:53

Profile Review Request

new topic post reply Update application status