GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review Request: Kellogg Booth Part time

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 2.8
Profile Review Request: Kellogg Booth Part time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 11:20
Hello,

I would really appreciate if members/ consultants can provide feedback on my profile. I am seeking a part time/ weekend MBA. My target schools are: Kellogg, Booth, Ross and Stern (in that order).

I took the GMAT this past week (700, Q48, V38). I am planning to retake the exam on the 13th Jan but not expecting a significant improvement, if at all. I was slightly nervous the first time so want to see what score I get if I take the exam in 'chill mode'. I usually always get 49 on Quant, so, I might be able to bump it up to 710!

My undergrad GPA is 2.83 in Industrial Engineering (from a big 10 school). I know it's on the low side. I took a transfer from India and had a few reasons contributing to the low GPA. Besides those factors, it was almost a decade back. I've grown both as a person and a professional since then.

My Masters GPA was 3.31 in Industrial Engineering (from the same big 10 school). Wrote my thesis, published 1 paper. I also taught AutoCAD, Matlab etc. to freshmen engineering students as a GTA (5-6 quarters) and an Instructor (2 quarters) during this time. Was admitted to Alpha Pi Mu honor society. Did a lot of volunteer work with Indian Student Association (ISA) ferrying new international students from the airport to their temp housing, helping them settle in etc. Hosted 20+ students over a span of 2 years.

I have 80 month work experience to date (excluding summer internships during BS and MS).

Started, in June 2011, as an engineer for a supply chain company, Menlo (subsidiary of Conway, bought by XPO recently) in Chicago area. Was involved in starting the ToastMasters International club at this employer. Was the 'founding' VP of membership for Toastmasters.

Joined a small boutique consulting company as 'Senior Consultant'. Did 2 high profile projects that helped customers save $3xx,xxx. Was at this company for 8 months. Company ownership & direct boss didn't want me to leave but I found a great opportunity with a Chicago downtown supply chain Tech company.

I joined this Tech company as a logistics engineer (I suppose I took a demotion as I was a 'senior' consultant in prior role). I helped 4 of my major clients save a total of $1.3M (bottom line) in transportation expenses. Within 1.5 years, I was promoted to 'Manager- Engineering & Analytics' team. In that role, I started generating a lot of great ideas for the software product. I started being more involved more with the technology team than operations and consulting team. Afterall, I have always loved technology and now I was in a position to impact my organizations technology offering by making enhancement recommendations to the product team.

Within 13-14 months, I was promoted again to the 'Product Manager' position. In this role, I am responsible for planning and delivery of my company's best selling product (most revenue generating & 'youngest' product). I report directly to the CTO (he'll give me a great recommendation) now and lead a team of 10+ (developers, QAs, BAs) and collaborate with almost all divisions of my organization to drive the strategic product road-map while managing the day to day nuances of bi-weekly product releases, UAT sessions, requirement gathering, stakeholder alignment etc..

I love this role but since my background is in Engineering- I don't have ALL the tools and techniques needed to succeed as a Product Manager. I know there is MUCH more I can do to grow this product- hence my desire of pursuing an MBA (part time). I am not looking for THE answer, I am looking for exposure to : marketing (what markets can I target for my product), strategy (how do I break into new markets to increase revenue), general management (how to help team reach maximum potential, how to drive change management) etc.. think MBA from one of the above mentioned schools will put me in a great place to achieve both my short term and long term goals.

In addition to work-

I also have acquired 2 certifications- Certified Supply Chain Professional (1 exam, 60% pass rate) and CPIM (5 exams) from APICS. Both of these certifications were obtained in the 2013-2014 time frame. Currently, I am preparing for the PMI PMP (Project Management Professional) certification. I will be taking the exam in March.

Some extra curricular work: helped build 8 restrooms for poor families in India with the LION club(this was more than a decade back), represented my college in Badminton & soccer. Toastmasters, archery (I make my own bows- longbows!), started volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters a few months back. I donate a decent amount to a charity that my mother runs in India but I am not sure if just donating money is something I should add to my application- seems vain.

My questions for the admissions consultants are:

I know Kellogg (my dream school) and Booth are big name tag schools. Is my undergrad GPA going to be a big hindrance? Does my decent MS GPA, from the same university help mitigate my undergrad GPA to a certain extent? My BS is after all more than a decade old now.

Should I focus on retaking the GMAT to target 730 or more? I know I can get to that score with 2-3 months of studying- I just feel like there are other aspects of my profile I should improve rather than fixating on GMAT. Afterall, 80% range for both Kellogg & Booth is 610-720.

Also, I am considering getting an admissions consultant to help me navigate through the application process. Even though I have a great idea of what I need, I think external perspective can be beneficial and I want to make sure the consultant helps me showcase my strengths in the right light. Are there any consultants who are dedicated to 'low GPA, part time program' applicant pools?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing some feedback!

Cheers!
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Profile Review Request: Kellogg Booth Part time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 23:53
Tranquil Focus wrote:
Hello,

I would really appreciate if members/ consultants can provide feedback on my profile. I am seeking a part time/ weekend MBA. My target schools are: Kellogg, Booth, Ross and Stern (in that order).

I took the GMAT this past week (700, Q48, V38). I am planning to retake the exam on the 13th Jan but not expecting a significant improvement, if at all. I was slightly nervous the first time so want to see what score I get if I take the exam in 'chill mode'. I usually always get 49 on Quant, so, I might be able to bump it up to 710!

My undergrad GPA is 2.83 in Industrial Engineering (from a big 10 school). I know it's on the low side. I took a transfer from India and had a few reasons contributing to the low GPA. Besides those factors, it was almost a decade back. I've grown both as a person and a professional since then.

My Masters GPA was 3.31 in Industrial Engineering (from the same big 10 school). Wrote my thesis, published 1 paper. I also taught AutoCAD, Matlab etc. to freshmen engineering students as a GTA (5-6 quarters) and an Instructor (2 quarters) during this time. Was admitted to Alpha Pi Mu honor society. Did a lot of volunteer work with Indian Student Association (ISA) ferrying new international students from the airport to their temp housing, helping them settle in etc. Hosted 20+ students over a span of 2 years.

I have 80 month work experience to date (excluding summer internships during BS and MS).

Started, in June 2011, as an engineer for a supply chain company, Menlo (subsidiary of Conway, bought by XPO recently) in Chicago area. Was involved in starting the ToastMasters International club at this employer. Was the 'founding' VP of membership for Toastmasters.

Joined a small boutique consulting company as 'Senior Consultant'. Did 2 high profile projects that helped customers save $3xx,xxx. Was at this company for 8 months. Company ownership & direct boss didn't want me to leave but I found a great opportunity with a Chicago downtown supply chain Tech company.

I joined this Tech company as a logistics engineer (I suppose I took a demotion as I was a 'senior' consultant in prior role). I helped 4 of my major clients save a total of $1.3M (bottom line) in transportation expenses. Within 1.5 years, I was promoted to 'Manager- Engineering & Analytics' team. In that role, I started generating a lot of great ideas for the software product. I started being more involved more with the technology team than operations and consulting team. Afterall, I have always loved technology and now I was in a position to impact my organizations technology offering by making enhancement recommendations to the product team.

Within 13-14 months, I was promoted again to the 'Product Manager' position. In this role, I am responsible for planning and delivery of my company's best selling product (most revenue generating & 'youngest' product). I report directly to the CTO (he'll give me a great recommendation) now and lead a team of 10+ (developers, QAs, BAs) and collaborate with almost all divisions of my organization to drive the strategic product road-map while managing the day to day nuances of bi-weekly product releases, UAT sessions, requirement gathering, stakeholder alignment etc..

I love this role but since my background is in Engineering- I don't have ALL the tools and techniques needed to succeed as a Product Manager. I know there is MUCH more I can do to grow this product- hence my desire of pursuing an MBA (part time). I am not looking for THE answer, I am looking for exposure to : marketing (what markets can I target for my product), strategy (how do I break into new markets to increase revenue), general management (how to help team reach maximum potential, how to drive change management) etc.. think MBA from one of the above mentioned schools will put me in a great place to achieve both my short term and long term goals.

In addition to work-

I also have acquired 2 certifications- Certified Supply Chain Professional (1 exam, 60% pass rate) and CPIM (5 exams) from APICS. Both of these certifications were obtained in the 2013-2014 time frame. Currently, I am preparing for the PMI PMP (Project Management Professional) certification. I will be taking the exam in March.

Some extra curricular work: helped build 8 restrooms for poor families in India with the LION club(this was more than a decade back), represented my college in Badminton & soccer. Toastmasters, archery (I make my own bows- longbows!), started volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters a few months back. I donate a decent amount to a charity that my mother runs in India but I am not sure if just donating money is something I should add to my application- seems vain.

My questions for the admissions consultants are:

I know Kellogg (my dream school) and Booth are big name tag schools. Is my undergrad GPA going to be a big hindrance? Does my decent MS GPA, from the same university help mitigate my undergrad GPA to a certain extent? My BS is after all more than a decade old now.

Should I focus on retaking the GMAT to target 730 or more? I know I can get to that score with 2-3 months of studying- I just feel like there are other aspects of my profile I should improve rather than fixating on GMAT. Afterall, 80% range for both Kellogg & Booth is 610-720.

Also, I am considering getting an admissions consultant to help me navigate through the application process. Even though I have a great idea of what I need, I think external perspective can be beneficial and I want to make sure the consultant helps me showcase my strengths in the right light. Are there any consultants who are dedicated to 'low GPA, part time program' applicant pools?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing some feedback!

Cheers!

Your stats are pretty decent, as far as Part Time/ Executive level education goes. Much matters however, on your goals, on your intended reasons for the MBA and how you link your story throughout.

Hope it helps

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 15:24
Thanks for sharing your profile. I think if you were applying to a FT program you would be in trouble at the programs listed but for PT i think you’re stats should be good enough. The schools would obviously prefer a higher GPA but their tends to be a greater focus on your work experience than your stats during the PT evaluation process.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 17:15
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Thanks for sharing your profile. I think if you were applying to a FT program you would be in trouble at the programs listed but for PT i think you’re stats should be good enough. The schools would obviously prefer a higher GPA but their tends to be a greater focus on your work experience than your stats during the PT evaluation process.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Thanks for the feedback. Would you recommend I try and take some statistics and accounting classes at Graham School (these would be Booth classes via the student-at-large program) to showcase my undergrad performance is not a current state reflection of my commitment and aptitude? I feel confident from a work experience perspective but the low GPA issue is quite literally keeping me awake at night.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 01:20
I would echo some of the thoughts shared here Tranquil Focus; I wouldn't worry too much about GPA and stuff. The bar for PT MBAs tends to be a bit low.

We've worked with quite a few folks over the years with similar/lower academic credentials. Read here and here.

The value of additional courses might me marginal in my view at best.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 17:57
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
I would echo some of the thoughts shared here Tranquil Focus; I wouldn't worry too much about GPA and stuff. The bar for PT MBAs tends to be a bit low.

We've worked with quite a few folks over the years with similar/lower academic credentials. Read here and here.

The value of additional courses might me marginal in my view at best.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Thanks Manish. I retook the GMAT today and got a 710. I think i'll run with that and focus on the essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2018, 21:57
Tranquil Focus wrote:

Thanks Manish. I retook the GMAT today and got a 710. I think i'll run with that and focus on the essays.

That's perfect buddy; go for it!

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review Request: Kellogg Booth Part time &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jan 2018, 21:57

Profile Review Request: Kellogg Booth Part time

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap