Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ovmaxim wrote:
Dear Paul,
Thank you so much! As usual your words are the words of wisdom. This whole week I was waiting for your post and thanks God it reached me in time (I have time till Monday). However even after your advice I don't know what to do. I am very passionate about Purdue. But I don't know who (from the point of view of employers) will have a better carrier edge: one with Penn State MBA or one with Purdue MSIA? Especially considering that MSIA is actually 1 year MBA. Here is what Purdue say about it:

"MSIA students take the same core curriculum as the two-year MBA students. The typical one-year student is a little older and more experienced than the average two-year student. As a result, many MSIA's are leading contributors to in-class discussions and team assignments.
Krannert's one-year business program is ideal for professionals with solid work experience and well focused career goals who wish to return to the job market from a full-time program in the shortest time possible, and who wish to combine a general management background with previous academic work. "
"The Master of Science in Industrial Administration (MSIA) is a unique accelerated program that is Krannert's one-year alternative to its traditional two-year MBA. Krannert has chosen to use the MBA degree label in West Lafayette to apply to its two year, 60 credit hour program that allows students to select one or more areas of business to study in depth. However, the rigorous 48-credit MSIA program includes Krannert's MBA core curriculum, along with several electives and meets the minimum curriculum standards for an MBA program under AACSB accreditation guidelines. Therefore, MSIA graduates should be regarded as having an educational background equivalent to someone with a one-year general MBA. "
And from this point of view I can't understand why should MSIA student be at any disadvantage in comparison with MBA if it is just a mater of program's name, not knowledge. Just because employers don't understand that MSIA= 1 year MBA? What do you think?

ovmaxim,

Sorry for the late reply. I was having some trouble getting my posts to GMAT Club to appear. The question is not really whether the MSIA or MBA give different sets of knowledge, it's more about perception, and the MBA is perceived as the more generalist, management-oriented degree. But as I said, there are plenty of people with technical degrees running companies these days. Go with the program that appeals to you most.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you Paul!
SVP
SVP