It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Officials at the United States Mint believe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17717 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Officials at the United States Mint believe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:21) correct 57% (03:35) wrong based on 699 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 35: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17717 [0], given: 1986

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1903 [5], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Well, the first thing I notice here is the pronouns, "its" and "it." I really want to say that the pronoun is ambiguous, because it could refer back to "dollar bill" (which is the closest singular noun) or the Sacagawea dollar coin.

But we can't do anything about the "it" or "its" -- it's in all five answer choices, so it can't really be much of an issue. Plus, pronoun ambiguity is NOT an absolute rule on the GMAT. We'll say more about that in an upcoming Topic of the Week.

I guess I can't get any quick eliminations from the pronouns, so let's take these guys in order:

Quote:
A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

I don't like the comparison idiom here: "more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for..." But if you're not sure about the idiom, look for other stuff. (Check out this thread for more on idioms.)

The bigger issue is that the final comparison in the sentence doesn't make sense: "its weight... is far less than four quarters." We could say that the weight of the coin is less than the weight of the quarters, but it doesn't make sense to say that the weight of the coin is less than the quarters themselves. (A) is gone.

Quote:
B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

I think I would be a little bit happier if the first comparison said "more as a substitute for four quarters than FOR the dollar bill" -- the second "for" is missing, and that bugs me a little bit. But I'm not 100% sure that it's wrong.

More importantly: at the end of the sentence, it's saying that the coin "weighs 8.1 grams, far lighter than four quarters." You could say "the coin IS far lighter than four quarters" or "it weighs less than four quarters", but not "it weighs lighter than four quarters." Eliminate (B).

Quote:
C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

I like that first comparison: "as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill" -- nice parallelism in the comparison, much better than in (A) or (B). More importantly, the last part makes sense now: "it weighs... far less than..." Keep (C).

Quote:
D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

As in (A) and (B), I think the first comparison idiom would be much stronger if "for" was included before "the dollar bill." But the last part of the sentence is a bigger problem: "(the coin's) weight is far lighter than it is for four quarters..."?? At the very least, this is a wordy mess compared with (C). You could also argue that it's nonsense: if "it" refer's back to "the coin's weight", then the sentence becomes illogical ("the coin's weight is lighter than the coin's weight is for four quarters").

Either way, (C) is clearly better than (D), so (D) is gone.

Quote:
E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for

First part of the underlined portion suffers from the same idiom issue as in (A). The second part of the underlined portion is similar to (D): "the coin's weight... is far less than it is for four quarters." Again, at the very least, this is wordier and inferior to (C); at worst, it's illogical.

(C) is our winner.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1903 [5], given: 454

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 445

Re: QOTD: Officials at the United States Mint believe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:19
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than- Correct choice

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than - Rather than is preferred, hence incorrect

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than - meaning change due to option in bold

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for - same as C

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for - same as C & D

A it is...conveys the intended meaning precisely!!

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:34
Chets25 wrote:

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than- Correct choice

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than - Rather than is preferred, hence incorrect

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than - meaning change due to option in bold

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for - same as C

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for - same as C & D

Can you explain the thought process behind the answer

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:38
Chets25 wrote:

I believe the its mentioned in A is a little ambiguous. I would opt for B as the correct answer in this question. You have stated that Rather than is preferred, but you failed to mention that rather than is preferred more than instead of. In this case the comparison is not between these two.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 133

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than -Incorrect. The comparison here is between dollar coin's weight and quarter, which is wrong. "less than THAT OF" would have been correct

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than -Incorrect comparision.

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than -CORRECT. Comparing dollar coin with the quarter.

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for -Incorrect comparision

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for -Incorrect. Usage of "more" is inappropriate. "it" pronoun is dangling.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Last edited by gmatexam439 on 16 Jun 2017, 12:09, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 133

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 09:45
sriamlan

Chets25 wrote:

Can you explain the thought process behind the answer - I will be more than happy to help you mate.

As per the sentence, it says... Officials believe that the coin will be used more as a substitute for X rather than Y because of reasons as stated in the sentence.
Here the comparison is correct since we are comparing four quarters with dollar bill.
Other choices are either changing the meaning or using words which are less preferred (rather instead of rather than).

Hope I am clear, let me know if you need further clarification. :)

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 10:25
OA must be C, The point is dollar coin is a better substitute for four quarters than it is for dollar bill because of its low weight. This meaning is clearly reflected in C. A is changing the entire meaning by saying that coin is used more for a substitute purpose than for some other purpose. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. OA must be C

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 11:39

Observing the form: as a substitute for x than for y : x and y has to be parallel: only C has the parallel structure, we need to explicitly insert "for" before the dollar bill to make the comparison and the structure parallel.

Can anyone please explain the usage of "substitute" and "rather than " in the same statement? Isn't the usage of rather is redundant?

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 12:04
i think it is A.

only option A seems to compare 4 quarters with dollar.

Awaiting expert reply.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 33

Schools: Fuqua
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 17:45
It must be C despite the fact that C changes the original meaning.
A. Is incorrect, because it compares weight with quarters, while it has to compare weight withweight

If you find my solution useful, hit the "Kudos" button

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 33

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 33

Schools: Fuqua
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 17:51
This post received
KUDOS
Ashokshiva wrote:
i think it is A.

Option A compares "weight" with "4 quarters".

souvik101990 wrote:
i think it is A.

its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters

If you find my solution useful, hit the "Kudos" button

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 33

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 06:08
Should be C
A: incorrect - parallelism error.must be ' more as than as'
B: incorrect same reason as A
C: correct
D: incorrect pronoun is used wrong
E: incorrect same pronoun error

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
Well, the first thing I notice here is the pronouns, "its" and "it." I really want to say that the pronoun is ambiguous, because it could refer back to "dollar bill" (which is the closest singular noun) or the Sacagawea dollar coin.

But we can't do anything about the "it" or "its" -- it's in all five answer choices, so it can't really be much of an issue. Plus, pronoun ambiguity is NOT an absolute rule on the GMAT. We'll say more about that in an upcoming Topic of the Week.

I guess I can't get any quick eliminations from the pronouns, so let's take these guys in order:

Quote:

I don't like the comparison idiom here: "more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for..." But if you're not sure about the idiom, look for other stuff. (Check out this thread for more on idioms.)

The bigger issue is that the final comparison in the sentence doesn't make sense: "its weight... is far less than four quarters." We could say that the weight of the coin is less than the weight of the quarters, but it doesn't make sense to say that the weight of the coin is less than the quarters themselves. (A) is gone.

Quote:

I think I would be a little bit happier if the first comparison said "more as a substitute for four quarters than FOR the dollar bill" -- the second "for" is missing, and that bugs me a little bit. But I'm not 100% sure that it's wrong.

More importantly: at the end of the sentence, it's saying that the coin "weighs 8.1 grams, far lighter than four quarters." You could say "the coin IS far lighter than four quarters" or "it weighs less than four quarters", but not "it weighs lighter than four quarters." Eliminate (B).

Quote:

I like that first comparison: "as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill" -- nice parallelism in the comparison, much better than in (A) or (B). More importantly, the last part makes sense now: "it weighs... far less than..." Keep (C).

Quote:

As in (A) and (B), I think the first comparison idiom would be much stronger if "for" was included before "the dollar bill." But the last part of the sentence is a bigger problem: "(the coin's) weight is far lighter than it is for four quarters..."?? At the very least, this is a wordy mess compared with (C). You could also argue that it's nonsense: if "it" refer's back to "the coin's weight", then the sentence becomes illogical ("the coin's weight is lighter than the coin's weight is for four quarters").

Quote:

First part of the underlined portion suffers from the same idiom issue as in (A). The second part of the underlined portion is similar to (D): "the coin's weight... is far less than it is for four quarters." Again, at the very least, this is wordier and inferior to (C); at worst, it's illogical.

(C) is our winner.

Thanks you for a concise and clear explanation !!

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 101

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9306 [0], given: 342

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 10:50
Ashokshiva wrote:
i think it is A.

Awaiting expert reply.

Hello Ashokshiva,

I would be glad to help you with this query.

Choice A is incorrect because the comparison has not been presented in grammatically parallel list.

The original sentence uses the phrase more X than Y in which X and Y should be parallel. But per choice A, X = as a substitute for four quarters and Y = for the dollar bill. Clearly, the two entities are not parallel. Also, use of rather with this comparison idiom is incorrect.

Choice C corrects this parallelism by changing the structure of the comparison idiom to X more than Y in which X = for four quarters and Y = for the dollar bill.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Last edited by egmat on 21 Jun 2017, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 9306 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 04:58
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(C) is our winner.

Sir I believe that the use of for in option B and D is important because the meaning will change if we dont use FOR.

--Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.--

The meaning changes - the SACAGEWEA will be used more than the dollar bill will be as a substitute for a 4 quater.

It was a trap, though wrong option because options did not repeated the predicate "will do" in the option B and D.

Please let me know if you find a problem in my understanding.

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 226

GPA: 3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 01:12
is the conjunction rather than incorrect in option A?

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 226

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 09:31
haardiksharma wrote:

This idiom structure (More X rather than Y .) has always been wrong on all similar GMAT question I have encounter yet. And if I remember correctly- a similar question is there in OG 17, in which OE eliminate this option because of wrong idiom. Plus Manhattan SC states that with MORE X you should always have THAN Y structure only.

So I guess as far as GMAT is concerned we can eliminate this option on this basis.

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 00:46
haardiksharma wrote:

Hi haardiksharma, you are right. The issue is the following incorrect usage:

more...rather than

The correct idiom is: more...than (or less...than).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this usage as part of idioms. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

More than.pdf [9.86 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 21:34
In C, is far less than correct? Shouldn't it be far lighter than?

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Re: QOTD: Officials at the United States Mint believe   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 21:34

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

QOTD: Officials at the United States Mint believe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap