GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 23:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2018, 02:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (00:55) correct 43% (01:04) wrong based on 1112 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 41: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

(A) which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks

(B) which caused the plant and animal extinctions and marks

(C) and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark

(D) an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks

(E) an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 26 Jun 2017, 10:05.
Last edited by Vyshak on 17 May 2018, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected option D to 'and it marks'
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 10:06
This one isn't too awful, compared to some of the QOTDs we'll inflict on you later this week. For the most part, this is a nice story about straightforward uses of "that" and "which" modifiers, with some meaning stuff thrown in.

The uses of "that" and "which" can get nastier, though. Check out last Monday's YouTube webinar for more on the various uses of "that" on the GMAT... and we'll feature the other examples from the webinar as QOTDs later this week.

Quote:
A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks

"Which" can only modify "North America" here, and that makes no sense at all: "North America, which... marks the end of the geologic era"?! The placement of the "-ing" modifier doesn't seem great, either. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking

Again, the modifier beginning with "which" is modifying "North America" again, and that makes no sense: "North America, which caused the plant and animal extinctions..." Eliminate (B).

Quote:
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark

I'm OK with the use of "that" here, but the parallelism doesn't work. The parallelism marker "and" is followed by "causing plant and animal extinctions", and I can't find anything in the sentence that could possibly be parallel to "causing." (C) is gone.

Quote:
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks

The last part of the underlined portion makes me hesitate: "it" could refer to "event", I guess. So "...an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and the event marks the end of the geologic era..." That's not awful, but I really don't understand why we're starting a whole new clause there, with "event" as the subject. It makes a whole lot more sense when the end of the sentence says "... marks the end of the geologic era..." function as a modifier for "extinctions" -- and that's exactly what (E) does.

Since "it" is the subject of the second clause, you could also argue that it refers back to the subject of the first clause: "an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest." But that wouldn't really make much sense, either: the asteroid marks the end of the geologic era? Hm, not so sure about that one. But either way: even if you're OK with the pronoun, (E) does a much better job of conveying the meaning of the sentence.

Incidentally, there's another version of this answer choice in the verbal guide (any edition): "an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, which marks..." Clearly, that's wrong for a different reason: "extinctions... marks" is a clear subject-verb error.

Either way, (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

(E) has two "thats", and they're both perfectly fine. The event caused the plant and animal extinctions, and the extinctions mark the end of the geologic era. Nice and clear. (E) wins.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: QOTD: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 20:29
Top Contributor
Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

A., which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks --- 'Which' has no referent, present tense ' marks' is incorrect.

B., which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking -- same pronoun error as in A.

C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark --- a fragment

D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks -- no referent for the pronoun 'it'

E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark -- correct choice. The restrictive pronoun 'that' before the plural verb 'mark' refers to the plural noun 'extinctions'.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 05:35
daagh wrote:

A., which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks --- 'Which' has no referent, present tense ' marks' is incorrect.

B., which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking -- same pronoun error as in A.

C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark --- a fragment

D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks -- no referent for the pronoun 'it'

E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark -- correct choice. The restrictive pronoun 'that' before the plural verb 'mark' refers to the plural noun 'extinctions'.

daagh, doesn't "it" in (D) refer to "an event".
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 00:01
manhasnoname wrote:
doesn't "it" in (D) refer to "an event".

Hi manhasnoname, D says:

an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks

From a purely parallelism perspective, if the intent of it was to refer to an event, then option D should have been:

an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and that marks

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:27
Hi,
Could someone explain, would it be wrong to use 'plant and animal extinctions' instead of 'the plant and animal extinctions' here, as it varies in the options?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 05:19
StaicyT wrote:
Hi,
Could someone explain, would it be wrong to use 'plant and animal extinctions' instead of 'the plant and animal extinctions' here, as it varies in the options?

Not using "the" is also alright in this case - if the "extinctions" have already been mentioned before, then using "the" is required to refer to the previously mentioned "extinctions". Otherwise not using "the" is alright.

I have books that are not worth reading. ("books" are not mentioned before in the context.)
I have the books, which are not worth reading. ("The books" have already been intriduced before this sentence. The reader already knows which books are referred to.)

Similarly in option E, usage of "the" implies that the reader has already been introduced to "the extinctions" before this sentence.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 22:05
I think they misread the question before merging the posts. The options are. different. I choose that over which, because the word THAT emphasizes on significance that we need here. So E is good over D in THIS question.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 00:45

(D) an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, which marks

Correct--> A noun (an event) + noun modifier (that caused....)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 11:56
I had a question regarding B).

The option currently reads: which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking

If it were: which caused the plant and animal extinctions, marking

Would it have been correct? I understand that "which" is preferred to be close to the noun it is modifying and that it usually modifies a noun; but as far as I know both these conditions are not a must. So here "which" could potentially be modifying the clause, "an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America". "Which", as far as I am aware, can modify a clause if the context and meaning supports the usage. And similarly it can be place a bit further from what it modifies, if meaning is clear.

Further, a comma before "marking" makes it a comma -ing modifier, and the underlined portion seems to make sense.

Any thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 21:14
Hi Sagar, which is a relative pronoun and hence, can never modify a clause.

Clauses have verbs and since which is a pronoun, which can only modify a noun (not a verb).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses usage of which, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 01:57

(D) an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, which marks

In all the replies option D has been mentioned as

an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks

But its which marks ,
SO suppose if we would have plural verb mark out here instead of marks then would this option have been a correct one ?

WOuld someone pls suggest.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 02:01
Well I saw earlier reply as which can't refer to a noun.
But doesn't plant and animal extinctions acts as a noun in previous clause and same is being referred by which.

Pls suggest.
Re: QOTD: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an a   [#permalink] 17 May 2018, 02:01

QOTD: Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap