GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Query regarding Rankings of Bschools

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Query regarding Rankings of Bschools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 22:55
Hi Everyone,

I started researching for the B-schools of late and the easiest way to do the initial screening was through rankings and avg GMAT score. However, I was amazed to see that few B-schools, ranked in the top 50, (Specifically UK based schools) require considerable less GMAT score in comparison to some schools, that are not even in top 100 (Specifically Indian B schools).

I understand that GMAT is not the only criteria used by ranking agencies, but I would be really interested to know about the possible factors that would have resulted such a huge gap in the rankings? Thanks in advance!

Kudos if you like my post

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Re: Query regarding Rankings of Bschools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 01:45
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I started researching for the B-schools of late and the easiest way to do the initial screening was through rankings and avg GMAT score. However, I was amazed to see that few B-schools, ranked in the top 50, (Specifically UK based schools) require considerable less GMAT score in comparison to some schools, that are not even in top 100 (Specifically Indian B schools).

I understand that GMAT is not the only criteria used by ranking agencies, but I would be really interested to know about the possible factors that would have resulted such a huge gap in the rankings? Thanks in advance!

Anurag,

The rankings are a great way to get to know business schools at a top level.
Which schools you find in a ranking depends on which rankings you were looking at. They are some predominantly US based rankings (Business week, US News, Forbes) and mix of the US and Europe and other regions (FT and Economist). You are likely to find more US MBAs in rankings because more of these exist!

For the GMAT, American programs place more emphasis on GMAT as compared to European MBAs.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 21:24
If you’re looking at a single, composite ranking, a higher ranking despite lower average GMAT is likely because of other factors. Career outcomes is usually the most dominant factor and, to give an example, an Indian applicant who shifts to, say, a European program will see a significant jump in career outcomes, compensation wise. It would be less so from an Indian program. That’s an example of one such factor.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 02:07
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi Anurag,
Top business schools usually don't have a minimum GMAT score requirement. Strong GMAT score will make you a stronger candidate, but there are a lot of other factors.
The average GMAT score of students is also one of the main factors used by several sites to rank schools. Check out this table to compare rankings and GMAT scores of the top MBA programs: https://aringo.com/top-mba-program-rankings/

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Re: Query regarding Rankings of Bschools   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2017, 02:07

Query regarding Rankings of Bschools

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap