Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [3]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33021 [5]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33021 [0]
Send PM
Re: Question Distribution in Data Insights [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The number of MSR questions increased on the cost of DS questions.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33021 [2]
Send PM
Question Distribution in Data Insights [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A few more points that may matter for someone taking the test. Sorry for making these posts in part.

Now we can expect to get more than one long passage. In the classic GMAT the pattern in the RC remained as follow:

3 Short passages having 3 questions each (3x3=9)
1 Long passage having four questions (4)

Total questions 14

But in the focus edition I did 4 iterations and got different results

Scenario 1
2 Long passages with 4 questions each and 2 short passages with 3 questions each total 14 RC questions and 9 CR questions.

Scenario 2
1 Long passages with 4 questions and 2 short passages with 3 questions each total 10 RC questions and 13 CR questions.

My concluding remarks:

The number of RC and CR questions varies.
The number of PS questions remain same.
The number of DI question (type-wise) varies.
The number of MSR questions ranges 3-6
Table analysis question could be tested least. 2-3 questions at average.
The number of Two-Part analysis question can varies in the range of 4-6.

I am attaching a file containing the results of 4 iteration of the GMAT Prep Focus.

Regards
Attachments

Two Part analysis.docx [12.39 KiB]
Downloaded 78 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Based on the document, keeping track of how many long RCs you've done could give an idea what to expect. If you've already done 2, for example.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
bb wrote:
There are about 5-6 DS, Two-Part Analysis, and Graphs and Tables questions out of 20 and 1-2 MSR passages with 3 questions each.

Why do you ask?

PS. There are no longer verbal questions in the data insights really. There are non-meth related questions but they are more logic based than verbal.

Posted from my mobile device

Just want to confirm, so there will be no CR and RC type Data Insights questions (for eg. a two-part analysis question which asks for strengthener and weakener) in Gmat focus exam?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
shivamkumar9242 wrote:
Just want to confirm, so there will be no CR and RC type Data Insights questions (for eg. a two-part analysis question which asks for strengthener and weakener) in Gmat focus exam?

Hi shivamkumar9242,

You can absolutely expect a DI question to look like a CR or RC question (the Focus practice tests have such questions). We don't know whether we'll see "verbal DS" immediately though.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shivamkumar9242 wrote:
bb wrote:
There are about 5-6 DS, Two-Part Analysis, and Graphs and Tables questions out of 20 and 1-2 MSR passages with 3 questions each.

Why do you ask?

PS. There are no longer verbal questions in the data insights really. There are non-meth related questions but they are more logic based than verbal.

Posted from my mobile device

You can get asked CR-like questions in two-part analysis and multi-source reasoning. But as has been said, at the moment, we don't expect those types of questions in Data Sufficiency.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 318
Send PM
Sajjad1994
Quote:
The number of questions related to a particular category in the Data Interpretation (DI) section is variable and can differ from one instance to another. Recently, I encountered two distinct scenarios. In one instance, I encountered 3 graph-based questions, 2 table-based questions, 7 questions related to Data Sufficiency (DS), 3 Multi-source Reasoning (MSR) questions, and 5 questions related to two-part analysis. In another instance, there were 3 graph-based questions, 2 table-based questions, 6 MSR questions, 5 DS questions, and 4 two-part analysis questions. Although total number of questions remained same that is 20.

Hi, just wanted to know how GI, MSR, TPA etc are marked. Are they marked individually per part or the entire question as a whole? For example, if there are four parts in a MSR question, and I get one part of MSR question wrong, will I lose credit for the entire MSR block or just that one particular part?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33021 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sahitiyalavarthi wrote:
Sajjad1994
Quote:
The number of questions related to a particular category in the Data Interpretation (DI) section is variable and can differ from one instance to another. Recently, I encountered two distinct scenarios. In one instance, I encountered 3 graph-based questions, 2 table-based questions, 7 questions related to Data Sufficiency (DS), 3 Multi-source Reasoning (MSR) questions, and 5 questions related to two-part analysis. In another instance, there were 3 graph-based questions, 2 table-based questions, 6 MSR questions, 5 DS questions, and 4 two-part analysis questions. Although total number of questions remained same that is 20.

Hi, just wanted to know how GI, MSR, TPA etc are marked. Are they marked individually per part or the entire question as a whole? For example, if there are four parts in a MSR question, and I get one part of MSR question wrong, will I lose credit for the entire MSR block or just that one particular part?

­
One needs to answer all parts of the question correctly to get rewarded. For example, if a table analysis question has three statements a test taker need to answer all three correct to get points. Similarly, a graph question with two blanks will give you marks only when you mark both of them correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 476
Send PM
In the Two-Part Analysis and Data Sufficency section od DI, what are the core quant topics we are asked about in GMAT Focus?
After doing 5 mock tests I have the impression that rates are key.
Any inisght would help a lot! I am not good with DI and specially these topics are penalizing me. My strength is Verbal. DI and Quant are very challenging for me.
GMAT Club Bot