GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 23:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Mar 2019, 02:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:07) correct 52% (02:19) wrong based on 633 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decreasing percentage of the total weight of domestic garbage in the Brazil. The increasingly widespread practice of recycling aluminum and plastic was responsible for most of this decline. However, although aluminum recycling was more widely practiced in this period than plastic recycling, it was found that the weight of plastic bottles in domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage than the weight of aluminum cans.

Which of the following, if true of the Brazil in the period 2000 to 2010, most helps to account for the finding?

A. Plastic bottles are significantly heavier than aluminum cans of comparable size.

B. Recycled aluminum cans were almost all beverage containers, but a significant fraction of the recycled plastic bottles had contained products other than beverages.

C. Manufacturers replaced many plastic bottles, but few aluminum cans, with polymer containers.

D. The total weight of plastic bottles purchased by domestics increased at a slightly faster rate than the total weight of aluminum cans.

E. In many areas, plastic bottles had to be sorted by color of the plastic before being recycled, whereas aluminum cans required no sorting.

Day 1 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 09 Sep 2014, 09:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Mar 2019, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 09:23
if any issue in understanding this question, anybody can refer to the GMATPrep question:
from-1978-to-1988-beverage-containers-accounted-for-a-53492.html
B
Re: From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 04:43
Can experts help with this question?

I was stuck between A and C, but ended up choosing A. I can understand why C, by suddenly replacing a lot of plastic with polymer, can satisfy the question, but I can't seem to find why A is wrong. Any help will be awesome! :)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 3.98
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 07:46
hongg7 wrote:
Can experts help with this question?

I was stuck between A and C, but ended up choosing A. I can understand why C, by suddenly replacing a lot of plastic with polymer, can satisfy the question, but I can't seem to find why A is wrong. Any help will be awesome! :)

Option A refers to the weight of each bottle. but how heavy a bottle is, is totally irrelevant to the stem.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2019, 07:46

From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap