GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Really Need Help

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Really Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 16:34
I first and foremost wanted to thank anyone who can respond with some advice to my current situation.

I'm a 31 year old veteran who left the military, (Naval Officer), almost a year and a half ago. I have a 2.89 GPA from a top 20 school (English major).

At the time, I felt very strongly about working in the healthcare sector and becoming a doctor, despite the challenge of overcoming a low GPA. I enrolled in a pre-med post-baccalaureate program at a very good university, but left a semester later after I made a B+ in Calc I and a B- in Chem I, (I had to really beg them to let me in). My advisor at the program told me it would be best to “find another path”, as I really needed all A’s in my post-bacc program to even be slightly competitive.

I realize getting accepted to a good MBA program will be no different, however, I decided on business school for four reasons:
1. Someday I want to start my own business and work for me. I know this sounds very cliché and that I don’t need an MBA to do this, but many graduates from the top programs go onto found companies together, mainly because business school is an excellent place to do this.
2. Meet people and form a network of individuals who have similar goals as mine. I know, this is another often cited example, but at the moment, I don’t have very many
3. Use business school as a “launching pad” of sorts to break into other areas of business, if I don’t choose the entrepreneurial route, (essentially, use business school to change careers).
4. Use my post-9/11 GI Bill. I know this is a bad reason, but I don’t want to waste 3 years of free education money from the US Government. Plus, I have the Yellow Ribbon Program, which essentially means private schools would be partially, if not entire, paid for.

The real problem for me is my employment. For the past year, I’ve worked as a swim coach and at the front counter of an aquatics center while taking Udacity courses in computer programming. I had hoped to land a job at a start-up, but nothing has happened yet. I realize no company cares about my past history as a swim coach, its completely useless in terms of marketing myself for a job in the business sector.

So, my question is, how can I get into a top business program given my current situation. What would you do if you were in my situation? I honestly just want a job that would look good for business school, allow me to practice a valued marketable skill, and pays me enough to live independently.

Anyway, I’m very sorry if this sounds like a sob story. As you can probably tell, I’m super depressed and have nobody else to talk to about this besides my therapist.
Thanks again for reading this and helping me out in this really hard time in my life.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Re: Really Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 17:05
Have you taken your GMAT yet? If you are serious about Bschool, GMAT will be the first step.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 17:25
Hey njk,
First off, Thank you for your service!
I am not much of an expert but here's my take.

So, my question is, how can I get into a top business program given my current situation. What would you do if you were in my situation?
- I would try to tell a compelling story. I would explain how did great work in the Navy, came back but weren't able to easily adapt to the academic world. I would explain what you took away from it and how you would do better in the future. Explain how you were figuring out what to do and how and why you figured out that b-school is the right thing for you.
I would take the GMAT and get a really high score (> 730). This would show them that you can actually do well at a b-school and help blunt the affects of the less than stellar GPA.
Explain why you have taken programming courses. It shows that you're actively trying to adapt to the current market.

I honestly just want a job that would look good for business school, allow me to practice a valued marketable skill, and pays me enough to live independently.
- One of my students went to this program (https://www.makeschool.com/product-college) and he's now working at a startup. He didn't have a bachelors degree so getting a job so I was impressed when he got a job. He was really good at programming though. Maybe give this a shot?
Also, do reach out to veterans at the big tech companies. Having gone through a similar process, they might be able to offer help/advice. Also, try participating in veteran events at these companies.

Good luck man/woman. Don't lose hope. Hope you have a great career!

njk wrote:
I first and foremost wanted to thank anyone who can respond with some advice to my current situation.

I'm a 31 year old veteran who left the military, (Naval Officer), almost a year and a half ago. I have a 2.89 GPA from a top 20 school (English major).

At the time, I felt very strongly about working in the healthcare sector and becoming a doctor, despite the challenge of overcoming a low GPA. I enrolled in a pre-med post-baccalaureate program at a very good university, but left a semester later after I made a B+ in Calc I and a B- in Chem I, (I had to really beg them to let me in). My advisor at the program told me it would be best to “find another path”, as I really needed all A’s in my post-bacc program to even be slightly competitive.

I realize getting accepted to a good MBA program will be no different, however, I decided on business school for four reasons:
1. Someday I want to start my own business and work for me. I know this sounds very cliché and that I don’t need an MBA to do this, but many graduates from the top programs go onto found companies together, mainly because business school is an excellent place to do this.
2. Meet people and form a network of individuals who have similar goals as mine. I know, this is another often cited example, but at the moment, I don’t have very many
3. Use business school as a “launching pad” of sorts to break into other areas of business, if I don’t choose the entrepreneurial route, (essentially, use business school to change careers).
4. Use my post-9/11 GI Bill. I know this is a bad reason, but I don’t want to waste 3 years of free education money from the US Government. Plus, I have the Yellow Ribbon Program, which essentially means private schools would be partially, if not entire, paid for.

The real problem for me is my employment. For the past year, I’ve worked as a swim coach and at the front counter of an aquatics center while taking Udacity courses in computer programming. I had hoped to land a job at a start-up, but nothing has happened yet. I realize no company cares about my past history as a swim coach, its completely useless in terms of marketing myself for a job in the business sector.

So, my question is, how can I get into a top business program given my current situation. What would you do if you were in my situation? I honestly just want a job that would look good for business school, allow me to practice a valued marketable skill, and pays me enough to live independently.

Anyway, I’m very sorry if this sounds like a sob story. As you can probably tell, I’m super depressed and have nobody else to talk to about this besides my therapist.
Thanks again for reading this and helping me out in this really hard time in my life.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 18:47
Thanks for your service and sacrifice.

I see you have joined back in 2010! So you have definitely been thinking/considering the MBA for a bit?
There is nothing or no one who can stop you. Nothing you posted seems to be an impassible obstacle but BSchool is one road and one option. It is not something you have to take.

Adcom looks at how you use resources and opportunities. Did you jump on every opportunity or did you let them go by wayside? Does not matter your starting point - what matters is your initiative, your leadership, and your character. The current job does not look great on the resume unless it somehow fits a bigger cause.

Also, what is missing from your story is what you want to do. Entrepreneurship is good - is that what you have been working on while working as Swim Coach? If not, then why not? However, it can be something as simple as running a coffee shop or as big as starting Microsoft. Neither required an MBA actually :-)

You have only posted a spinet of your story so I may be looking at it wrong but I would take a step back and see where you want to get to (don't worry about the MBA yet) and then map out your path. Sounds like you have a lot of it done but not sure it is all there completely.

Good Luck!
P.S. Moving to a more appropriate forum

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Really Need Help &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 18:47

Really Need Help

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap