Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 450 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [9]
Given Kudos: 122
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.41
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618634 [5]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt on the evolutionary th [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kpadma wrote:
Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt on the evolutionary theory that dinosaurs are more closely related to reptiles than to other classes of animals. Fossils show that some dinosaurs had hollow bones-a feature found today only in warm-blooded creatures, such as birds, that have a high metabolic rate. Dinosaurs had well-developed senses of sight and hearing, which is not true of present-day cold-blooded creatures like reptiles. The highly arched mouth roof of some dinosaurs would have permitted them to breathe while eating, as fast-breathing animals, such as birds, need to do. Today, all fast-breathing animals are warm-blooded. Finally, fossils reveal that many dinosaurs had a pattern of growth typical of warm-blooded animals.

The argument in the passage proceeds by

(A) attempting to justify one position by demonstrating that an opposing position is based on erroneous information

(B) establishing a general principle that it then uses to draw a conclusion about a particular case

(C) dismissing a claim made about the present on the basis of historical evidence

(D) assuming that if all members of a category have a certain property then all things with that property belong to the category

(E) presenting evidence that a past phenomenon is more similar to one rather than the other of two present-day phenomena

Could some one explain the difference between position, principle, claim, and phenomenon. I thought I know the difference, but this question proved me otherwise!

The main point of the argument is that recently discovered dinosaurs' fossils support that dinosaurs were warm blooded (like birds), not cold blooded (like reptiles) as previously thought.
Then it goes on to give 4 specific points why it is likely that dinosaurs were warm blooded. The author uses present day evidence (warm blooded vs cold blooded animals today) to establish something about the past (how dinosaurs were millions of years ago)

(A) attempting to justify one position by demonstrating that an opposing position is based on erroneous information

The passage attempts to justify "dinosaurs were warm blooded" and oppose "dinosaurs were cold blooded".
The passage does not give any erroneous info on which cold blooded position is based. Instead, it gives recent discovery evidence that suggests warm blooded.

(B) establishing a general principle that it then uses to draw a conclusion about a particular case

The argument does not really establish any general principle. A general principle would be something like "only warm blooded animals have hollow bones".
The author gives us facts about today - today only warm blooded animals have hollow bones - and says that since dinosaurs' fossils show that they had hollow bones, so dinosaurs must have been warm blooded etc.

(C) dismissing a claim made about the present on the basis of historical evidence

It is the other way around. He makes a claim about the past based on present day evidence.

(D) assuming that if all members of a category have a certain property then all things with that property belong to the category

This would have been true if the author had said that all warm blooded animals have hollow bones and since dinosaurs had hollow bones too, dinosaurs must have been warm blooded. But that is not what he says. He says that today ONLY warm blooded animals have hollow bones (no cold blooded animals have hollow bones) so dinosaurs must have been warm blooded. The same for all other points he mentions too. He says ALL fast breathing are warm blooded so dinosaurs must have been warm blooded too.

(E) presenting evidence that a past phenomenon is more similar to one rather than the other of two present-day phenomena

Correct. He says that dinosaurs were more similar to warm blooded animals than to cold blooded animals.

Answer (E)
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [2]
Send PM
Re: Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt on the evolutionary th [#permalink]
Kudos
E for me too
phenomena according to Webster dictionary: an observable fact or event
In this case, the past fact would be "dinosaurs" and the present two facts would be "reptiles" and "birds"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Re: Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt on the evolutionary th [#permalink]
I feel D is convincing. I could not understand E but Paul's explanation is very nice.

The argument says that recently discovered fossil evidence ( of one dinosaur ) is more similar to birds than to any other aninal. If a generalization has to be made then it is necessary to assume that if one animal belongs to a catagory and all the animals with same characteristics must also belong to the same catagory.

Can any one refute this please...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Let me try to refute..

A snake is a reptile which bites.

Characteristic being "it bites".

A dog bit the boy.

=> Dog is a reptile ?

Specifically, with re to the choice D, draw two sets P (Mbr of same category) and Q (property), with Q as a superset of P.
All P is Q..but all Q is not P.
Director
Director
Send PM
hi ashwyn,

We are not debating whether the argument is wrong or right. The Q is asking how does the argument proceed.

Anand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[quote="anandnk"]I feel D is convincing. I could not understand E but Paul's explanation is very nice.

The argument says that recently discovered fossil evidence ( of one dinosaur ) is more similar to birds than to any other aninal. If a generalization has to be made then it is necessary to assume that if one animal belongs to a catagory and all the animals with same characteristics must also belong to the same catagory.

Can any one refute this please...[/quote]

Anand,

Pls read Option D again. There is a slight difference between ur statement above and choice D.

Choice D says- if ALL members of a category have a certain property then ALL THINGS with that property belong to the category

What u have stated is a REQD and necessary assumption, but this is not what is stated in Choice D.

Ur interpretatioin- if ONE animal belongs to a catagory and ALL animals with same characteristics must also belong to the same catagory.
is perfectly true and necessary.

Pls let me knw if the above is unclear or u dont agree. Tks.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi Ashwyn

I will give it to you. I guess D has a flaw in itself.
More importantly the author is giving evidence. I believe E makes more sense. I just thought properties of birds cannot be called the phenomenon.

Anand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I like the explanations you guys gave, but I think I'd go with B on this one, if I saw this Q on the exam. My reasoning:

If the author states that the Din. are not closely related to Reptiles, he must show why previous claims were made about the similarity of Din and Reptiles. Also, one might question the evolution of present day reptiles, what were they like back during the times of evolution. Similarly, while the author demonstrates with examples that D had many characteristics of birds and other warm blooded animals, I am still not sure what the previous claims were based on. Maybe Din breath like birds, have hollow bones and so on, but they are still more closely related to Reptiles. E is most definitely a convincing statement, but I still believe that the author establishes a principle--dinosaurs cant be resmble reptiles-b/c they have many carachteristics of warm blooded animals, which is not true Din can still belong to the reptile family. Cat's breath thru mouth, and do many other things like dogs, yet they dont belong to the canine family. Anyway, thats my take on it. Feel free to correct any flaws in my reasoninig.

Needed a little editing. This question is really tough in my opinion, and I REALLY dont like the "general principle" phrase, unless we can assume that the first statement can be called a general principle, which is what I did. :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
lvb9th wrote:
but I still believe that the author establishes a principle--dinosaurs cant be resmble reptiles-b/c they have many carachteristics of warm blooded animals

Is this really what you call a principle or is it just a mere claim the author is trying to prove?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Paul wrote:
lvb9th wrote:
but I still believe that the author establishes a principle--dinosaurs cant be resmble reptiles-b/c they have many carachteristics of warm blooded animals

Is this really what you call a principle or is it just a mere claim the author is trying to prove?

Paul,

I agree with E, but I am still not sure why B is wrong, if it is. Yes, I was a little hesistant to call it a principle. Id like to see the official explanation. The core of my reasoning was that, while it is possible that Din resemble Birds, we still dont know, but it is possible that Din have greater similarity with Reptiles. If that is a phenomenon, then I would agree with E. But using the same reasoning, we could call a hundred of accepted principles a phenomenon. There are many birds that can't fly, but we still classify them as birds, is that a phenomenon? Hmm, maybe I am taking it too far, or even in the wrong direction. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt [#permalink]

May I ask what is the past phenomenon refer to? and the two present-day phenomena?

Originally posted by tersonwong on 16 Feb 2016, 23:05.
Last edited by tersonwong on 17 Feb 2016, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt [#permalink]
According to the OE, the past phenomenon is the dinosaur and the two present day phenomena are reptiles and birds.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31872 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tersonwong wrote:

May I ask what is the past phenomenon refer to? and the two present-day phenomena?

Hi,

presenting evidence that a past phenomenon is more similar to one rather than the other of two present-day phenomena

evidence:--
Fossils show that some dinosaurs had hollow bones-a feature
Dinosaurs had well-developed senses of sight and hearing, which is not true of present-day cold-blooded creatures like reptiles.
The highly arched mouth roof of some dinosaurs would have permitted them to breathe while eating, as fast-breathing animals, such as birds, need to do.
Today, all fast-breathing animals are warm-blooded. Finally, fossils reveal that many dinosaurs had a pattern of growth typical of warm-blooded animals.

a past phenomenon:-
these evidences talk of a past phenomenon- Dinasours/evolution of dinasours

more similar to one of two present-day phenomena:-
birds..

rather than the other of two present-day phenomena:-
reptiles
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,

presenting evidence that a past phenomenon is more similar to one rather than the other of two present-day phenomena

Dinosaurs had well-developed senses of sight and hearing, which is not true of present-day cold-blooded creatures like reptiles.
The highly arched mouth roof of some dinosaurs would have permitted them to breathe while eating, as fast-breathing animals, such as birds, need to do.
Today, all fast-breathing animals are warm-blooded. Finally, fossils reveal that many dinosaurs had a pattern of growth typical of warm-blooded animals.

birds..

reptiles

Hello chetan2u,

I agree with the explanation provided by you. Can you let me know how can we eliminate D?

D) assuming that if all members of a category have a certain property then all things with that property belong to the category

category - warm-blooded animals/growth of warm-blooded animals

property - hollow bones or breathe while eating

all things with that property - dino with the above property

belong to the category - Finally, fossils reveal that many dinosaurs had a pattern of growth typical of warm-blooded animals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Recently discovered fossil evidence casts doubt [#permalink]
warriorguy wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,

birds..

reptiles

Hello chetan2u,

I agree with the explanation provided by you. Can you let me know how can we eliminate D?

D) assuming that if all members of a category have a certain property then all things with that property belong to the category

category - warm-blooded animals/growth of warm-blooded animals

property - hollow bones or breathe while eating

all things with that property - dino with the above property

belong to the category - Finally, fossils reveal that many dinosaurs had a pattern of growth typical of warm-blooded animals.

warriorguy
Here's why- the argument talks about 'some' (not all) members of a category ('dino').
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
My question on E.

"two present-day phenomena" - What are these two?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Fc733 wrote:
My question on E.

"two present-day phenomena" - What are these two?

Fc733

The past phenomenon is the evolution of dinosaurs/dinosaurs themselves

The two present-day phenomena are:

1) birds (similar to dinosaurs)
2) reptiles (less similar to dinosaurs)

Hope that helps :-)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts