It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation for Older Applicant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Recommendation for Older Applicant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 14:23
Hi Paul,

I have been working as Derivatives Trader for large banks and most recently independently. I have known for some time that trading was not a permanent career for me. I have saved up enough now to be financially secure and want to pursue my "Dream Career" which lies under the operations mgmt/supply chain umbrella. I have done extensive research (including two professionally administered aptitude tests) and have planned on a switch for several years. I did not know that age was such an important factor until recently. I am currently 36. I am very focused on the position/companies I will target. Please give me your view on the schools I have chosen if I use a professional admissions consultant.

I want to avoid and EMBA because I will be making a complete career switch.

Here is my profile:

Undergrad - NYU/Stern Magna Cum Laude - Economics with honors/Finance

I have completed some postgraduate work in Calc (1-3) and 1 MBA level stats course.

GMAT completed today 1st try 720 w/ 45Q/44V

Here are my proposed choices:

Tepper, Duke, Virginia, UNC, Penn State, Arizona State, Purdue and Indiana University.

If you have any recommendations for additional schools I have overlooked, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 74

Re: Recommendation for Older Applicant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 21:10
Brian,

Sorry for the delayed reply; it's that time of the year. With the exception of your age, your profile, at least what you gave of it, looks promising. The age issue is obviously not a deal-breaker but is a hurdle to be overcome. Being super savvy about your goals is one way of overcoming it. One crucial issue you didn't mention is your leadership profile; given your profession you would probably want to have very strong leadership/impact stories from your community/extracurricular life. All that aside, the schools you named are not the world's most selective, which raises your odds as a nontraditional applicant. Duke, Darden, Tepper, and UNC will be the toughest nuts and should conservatively be considered long shots. The others are much more doable. Other strong operations/supply chain programs you should consider are Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2008, 08:26
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your honesty about prospects when you reply to potential applicants.

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2008, 17:16

Intern
Intern

Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Johnson

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:51
Paul,

I posted something similar in Ross app thread...what do you think about my chances considering the age factor? Also I was thinking about Tepper R3...but are you saying that it is not older app friendly?
Thanks!
---------------
I am overwhelmed by how hard it seems to get in! I am 34(!), 730 GMAT, modest EC's.

Is there any reason to feel any hope?

Still struggling with essays:
For challenging time: could I write about accident I had couple of years ago...
For alternate career: I was thinking do they want to see teacher etc kind of thing that is way different or can I say PhD in Engg in a field I can tie with my interest?

Seeing everyone here with scores just as good and younger, why will they take me...I am struggling to answer this one!

-rsc

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2008, 20:10
rsc,

I do think Michigan and CMU are friendlier to older applicants than most schools, if you look at the middle 80% of their work experience range. So assuming the rest of your profile stacks up well with their averages, you do have a change despite your age. Otherwise, consider executive MBA programs.

--Paul

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Johnson

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 09:41
Thanks, Paul and excellent book, by the way.

Re: Recommendation for Older Applicant   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2008, 09:41

Recommendation for Older Applicant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap