Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:02 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Rejected at all 7 schools this year. [#permalink]
Accepted.com wrote:

I'm not surprised about the rejections from Columbia, Wharton, and Haas. I am surprised that you interviewed at KF and McCombs and did not receive an offer of admission from either one. That leads me to believe that perhaps your interview did not go well. Your 3rd round app could have hurt your chances at Darden.

I would drop Columbia, Wharton and Haas from your list. Reapply to KF, McCombs, Duke and Darden. If you can get feedback, from any of them, get. Also have a mock interview before you interview for real this time around. Finally, add a couple of schools, if there are other programs that suit your needs.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Linda,

As a previous poster suggested, do you believe that retaking the GMAT could substantially increase my ability to gain acceptance to these schools (or top schools) relative to other pieces of my profile? I personally think I could get it over the 700 mark (my verbal score continues to climb, and I'm sure I can get it even higher), but I would rather focus on other pieces of the application if you believe it is more prudent. Thanks in advance.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
drew031482 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:

I'm not surprised about the rejections from Columbia, Wharton, and Haas. I am surprised that you interviewed at KF and McCombs and did not receive an offer of admission from either one. That leads me to believe that perhaps your interview did not go well. Your 3rd round app could have hurt your chances at Darden.

I would drop Columbia, Wharton and Haas from your list. Reapply to KF, McCombs, Duke and Darden. If you can get feedback, from any of them, get. Also have a mock interview before you interview for real this time around. Finally, add a couple of schools, if there are other programs that suit your needs.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Linda,

As a previous poster suggested, do you believe that retaking the GMAT could substantially increase my ability to gain acceptance to these schools (or top schools) relative to other pieces of my profile? I personally think I could get it over the 700 mark (my verbal score continues to climb, and I'm sure I can get it even higher), but I would rather focus on other pieces of the application if you believe it is more prudent. Thanks in advance.

If you want to have a serious chance at Wharton, Haas, and Columbia, then a higher GMAT would help you, and it certainly wouldn't hurt you at the other programs. I obviously can't comment on your essays or other possible weaknesses in presentation without reviewing at least one MBA application, but possible weakness in interviewing does jump out at me. Also, try to apply R1.

Related Resources:

* Create a Better Sequel, an ebook.
* How to Reapply Right to Business School Webinar.
* MBA Admissions Advice for Reapplicants

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Scoring As in two courses will certainly help you. Why don't you apply to UMich? I know of somebody who did undergrad and MS in architecture and is now in Ross. You can find her on ambassadors page. IMO...it's your GMAT that's hurting you. With a 720, you can aim for McCombs, Darden, Ross, etc.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gaga wrote:
Scoring As in two courses will certainly help you. Why don't you apply to UMich? I know of somebody who did undergrad and MS in architecture and is now in Ross. You can find her on ambassadors page. IMO...it's your GMAT that's hurting you. With a 720, you can aim for McCombs, Darden, Ross, etc.

There were two reasons why I didn't apply to Ross: 1) the weather and 2) the decline of Detroit. I know that most graduates don't plan on heading to Detroit once they graduate, but I'm worried that the economic decline of Detroit, the state of Michigan, and really the entire Mid-West, will eventually hurt the University of Mich.

Personally, in terms of my profile, I really don't feel that I have any red flags, including the GMAT. However, that being said, I don't really feel that I have anything that jumps off the page either. I will certainly look into taking the GMAT again. I believe that with some hard work, I could pull my Q score up to a 48 and pull my V up to a 40, and ultimately put me in that 710-730 range.

To continue on, if I broke the 700 mark on the GMAT - could I shoot even higher than the schools I did being that I'm an architect? (This is, of course, rooted in a giant assumption that I basically blew the interviews with the schools I applied to this year, and that I would have gotten in otherwise to at least 1)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I can't say anything about the top 10 schools or top 5 for that matter. I have seen strange things have happened, more than once or twice. So if you want to go for it, then don't let anybody stop you! Just want to add more on Ross...it has inter/national presence and is not just confined to Detroit. I know my friends moved to west coast and north west.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Just want to chime in about UM (bias alert: it's where I did my UGrad) and mention that the health system at hospitals like the one at Michigan and the knowledge economy of Ann Arbor will drive the future (and current) economy in Michigan. It will be growing pains for awhile for the state as a whole but for you personally (as a knowledge worker) the world that you encounter in Ann Arbor is for all intents and purposes entirely removed from the world of Detroit. Do not even consider it when you're making your decision.

Finally, Michigan's alumni base is sprawling. My first job after school was in the greater NYC area and I was contacted at the request of another Michigan alum who was looking for a Michigan grad for the company's recruiting class that year. That experience is not atypical. Best of luck next year, friend!
GMAT Club Bot