GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     January 26, 2019

     January 26, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1019
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Sep 2018, 22:29
8
28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:35) correct 29% (00:41) wrong based on 1310 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in philanthropic agencies, twentieth-century reformer Edith Abbott was convinced of social work education belonging in the university so that students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social issues.


A. of social work education belonging in the university so that

B. that social work education should be in the university, and that

C. about the importance of social work education belonging in the university while

D. that social work education belonged in the university, where

E. of the necessity of social work education being in the university and


My take:
convinced that, so A, C and E out.
Between B and D.
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues--> has to be subordinated to the main clause so B out.
The idiom is belong to, so D out.

One more time, Im with F.

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Originally posted by noboru on 07 Jul 2010, 10:06.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Sep 2018, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2795
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 11:35
6
1
sarah1234 wrote:
Hi,
I ruled out A, C,E. Between B and D,B shows parallelism and D says BELONGED IN..which does not look ok.Please advice why D is correct.

Shipra



Hi Shipra,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

Let's talk about the intended meaning of the sentence first. The sentence says that Abbot rejected the apprenticeship model of training social workers in philanthropic agencies because he was sure that the social work education must be imparted at the university level. Why did he think so? He thought so because he felt that students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social issues. So per the original sentence he was only convinced of a single point. The part starting with "so that" presents the reasoning for his conviction.

Now Choice B is grammatically as well as logically incorrect.

1. It is logically incorrect because the forced parallelism in the sentence now conveys that Abbot was convinced of two things. The second entity in the list is no more the reasoning for his convictions.
2. The grammatical flaw in the sentence is usage of "should be". The usage of this verb now suggests that inclusion of the social work education in university is his command or demand that must be met. The inclusion appears to be his diktat rather than his belief.

Choice D indeed is the correct answer as it clearly conveys the intended meaning. The phrase "belonging in" is absolutely correct. It is the university that the said education belong. Commonly, we use the phrase "belong to" which means someone owns something. Here we cannot use "belong to" because the university does not own the social work education. It "belongs in" the university as in its right place is in the university.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 736
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2010, 21:13
10
1
B is a gmat trap (fake that parallelism) I will point that in a bit.

Convinced is "persuasive" form of belief. It means very sure. Remember the subjunctive? Does it use should / would??

"that parallelism" works like this :
that............and that...........

E.g convinced that .............. and that.......
However look at the meaning. The use of "and" disintegrates the old sentence where you were talking about "social work". suddenly started talking about "student". Edith Abbott will be very unhappy :-D

What are you convinced about if I disintegrate the sentence into two parts -

social work education should be in the university - still not convinced, I need more explanation !
where students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social issues. ---> that is the evidence I need for being convinced.

Common sense overrides any grammar rules (parallelism) :wink:

pdarun wrote:
Nusmavrik: D also uses "convinced that". So why then is B out but not D?
I selected B, because of "belonged in" >> Thought was that the wrong idiom usage in D weighs over the wrond conjuntion "and" used to connect the sub-ordinate clauses :(.


nusmavrik wrote:
"convinced that." should is prohibited So B is OUT.

D it is.

noboru wrote:
Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in
philanthropic agencies, twentieth-century reformer Edith Abbott was
convinced of social work education belonging in the university so that
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues.

A. of social work education belonging in the university so that
B. that social work education should be in the university, and that
C. about the importance of social work education belonging in the university while
D. that social work education belonged in the university, where
E. of the necessity of social work education being in the university and

My take:
convinced that, so A, C and E out.
Between B and D.
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues--> has to be subordinated to the main clause so B out.
The idiom is belong to, so D out.

One more time, Im with F.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2010, 10:21
I'm with F - LOL! My take is D. We need "that" to connect the phrase - leaving us with B and D. The 'students offered" phrase is logically connected to the conviction as previously stated and D connects these ideas perfectly.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1019
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2010, 12:46
RGM wrote:
I'm with F - LOL! My take is D. We need "that" to connect the phrase - leaving us with B and D. The 'students offered" phrase is logically connected to the conviction as previously stated and D connects these ideas perfectly.


But in D belonged in is not the idiom...
Please clarify.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 150
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2010, 12:51
3
noboru wrote:
RGM wrote:
I'm with F - LOL! My take is D. We need "that" to connect the phrase - leaving us with B and D. The 'students offered" phrase is logically connected to the conviction as previously stated and D connects these ideas perfectly.


But in D belonged in is not the idiom...
Please clarify.


Belong in is a correct idiom when trying to express something being in it's right place.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 736
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2010, 21:28
"convinced that." should is prohibited So B is OUT.

D it is.

noboru wrote:
Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in
philanthropic agencies, twentieth-century reformer Edith Abbott was
convinced of social work education belonging in the university so that
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues.

A. of social work education belonging in the university so that
B. that social work education should be in the university, and that
C. about the importance of social work education belonging in the university while
D. that social work education belonged in the university, where
E. of the necessity of social work education being in the university and

My take:
convinced that, so A, C and E out.
Between B and D.
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues--> has to be subordinated to the main clause so B out.
The idiom is belong to, so D out.

One more time, Im with F.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 14
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2010, 22:48
Nusmavrik: D also uses "convinced that". So why then is B out but not D?
I selected B, because of "belonged in" >> Thought was that the wrong idiom usage in D weighs over the wrond conjuntion "and" used to connect the sub-ordinate clauses :(.


nusmavrik wrote:
"convinced that." should is prohibited So B is OUT.

D it is.

noboru wrote:
Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in
philanthropic agencies, twentieth-century reformer Edith Abbott was
convinced of social work education belonging in the university so that
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues.

A. of social work education belonging in the university so that
B. that social work education should be in the university, and that
C. about the importance of social work education belonging in the university while
D. that social work education belonged in the university, where
E. of the necessity of social work education being in the university and

My take:
convinced that, so A, C and E out.
Between B and D.
students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social
issues--> has to be subordinated to the main clause so B out.
The idiom is belong to, so D out.

One more time, Im with F.

_________________

_____________________________________
If you like this comment, then +1 kudos pls

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2011, 11:18
1
IMO it is D. The choice was between B and D.

B. that social work education should be in the university, and that - The second 'That' makes the statement wordy, secondly the subject was 'Convinced' a strong word that refers to solidity but the choice B follows up with the word 'Should' that refers to 'might be' a probable scenario. There is a Logic mismatch, hence RULED OUT!

D. that social work education belonged in the university, where - First - Convinced is followed by 'that social work education BELONGED...'! Solid statement. Second- where modified the University which is absolutely logical in structure. - Correct
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 09:55
Hi,
I ruled out A, C,E. Between B and D,B shows parallelism and D says BELONGED IN..which does not look ok.Please advice why D is correct.

Shipra
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 179
CAT Tests
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:29
broall hazelnut daagh
Why A is wrong?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4624
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 02:25
Top Contributor
A is wrong mainly because of the idiom 'convinced of.' When we report an author's thinking, it customary to report his philosophy in a relative clause starting with 'that.'
_________________

you can know a lot about something but not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 May 2017
Posts: 36
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 05:14
egmat wrote:
sarah1234 wrote:
Hi,
I ruled out A, C,E. Between B and D,B shows parallelism and D says BELONGED IN..which does not look ok.Please advice why D is correct.

Shipra



Hi Shipra,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

Let's talk about the intended meaning of the sentence first. The sentence says that Abbot rejected the apprenticeship model of training social workers in philanthropic agencies because he was sure that the social work education must be imparted at the university level. Why did he think so? He thought so because he felt that students could be offered a broad range of courses dealing with social issues. So per the original sentence he was only convinced of a single point. The part starting with "so that" presents the reasoning for his conviction.

Now Choice B is grammatically as well as logically incorrect.

1. It is logically incorrect because the forced parallelism in the sentence now conveys that Abbot was convinced of two things. The second entity in the list is no more the reasoning for his convictions.
2. The grammatical flaw in the sentence is usage of "should be". The usage of this verb now suggests that inclusion of the social work education in university is his command or demand that must be met. The inclusion appears to be his diktat rather than his belief.

Choice D indeed is the correct answer as it clearly conveys the intended meaning. The phrase "belonging in" is absolutely correct. It is the university that the said education belong. Commonly, we use the phrase "belong to" which means someone owns something. Here we cannot use "belong to" because the university does not own the social work education. It "belongs in" the university as in its right place is in the university.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hi egmat Shraddha,
You wrote following in your argument:

"..... So per the original sentence he was only convinced of a single point. The part starting with "so that" presents the reasoning for his conviction....."

But then I see people discussing this question here and also discussing at ManhattanPrep official blog are saying that "convinced of" is idiomatically wrong.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t6968.html

So I am really confused here. Can you please help. If "convinced of" is wrong then how come you didn't point it out. Better yet - why did you use it in your description if everyone is saying that it is idiomatically incorrect?

I will appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 03:39
is the use of word "BELONGED" correct? I am still stuck on the same and not able to move ahead. I chose B for the same reason.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila &nbs [#permalink] 11 Nov 2018, 03:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rejecting the apprenticeship model of training social workers in phila

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.