It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for a profile evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Request for a profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2009, 02:00
Dear Paul,
Please look into my profile below and it will be helpful if u can tell me I am not far away from reach.
General Info:
25/Male/Indian(common applicant pool) :(

Educational Info:
GMAT:750(Q:49 V:42)
Completed my Graduation from one of the best colleges in India with a Bachelors of Engg in Information Technology with a CGPA of 7.5(out of 10).I am sorry I cudn't translate it to GPA.
12th: 75%
10th: 76%

Work Experience:
I have been working as a software engineer with the fortune 100 company for the last 4.5 years. I have been promoted once during this stint. Got good appreciations and recognitions in the work. Have been leading a small size team of 4-5 for the last 1 year. Have an international experience of 1 year(US). Nothing distinctive as u can say.

EC:
Nothing distinctive here too :( . Represented school and college in Cricket. Participated in debates and other contests in school. Participated in culturals of different colleges. Organized various events in college. Presented a paper in a college event. For the last one year I have been a part of NGO, though not led any projects.

Goals and Objective:
To become a management consultant with one of the top-notch consulting firm for a few years and then planning to bcome a Venture Capitalist. I have a business background and I am involved in all family businesses from my adulthood. I would like to transform our family business to the next level. I have my own business model to do so.

I am looking for a B-School which can help me in reaching my objective and hone my skills to bcome a successful Entrepreneur. Scholarship shouldn't be a problem although i will not shy away.
School List:
University of California--Los Angeles (Anderson)
Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper)
Georgetown University (McDonough)
Georgia Institute of Technology
Indiana University--Bloomington (Kelley)
University of Southern California (Marshall)
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler)

There are 7 colleges and I wud like to shortlist 5 from these. Please evaluate it and write back whether I m shooting very high or not.

Thanks
Karthik

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for a profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2009, 10:25
Karthik,

You can be optimistic about GIT, Indiana, Georgetown, and USC. I think UCLA and UNC are the biggest stretches out of the remaining schools, so for your fifth school I pick Carnegie Mellon. Other schools that are strong in consulting and/or entrepreneurship and where I think you have a decent chance of admission include Babson and Emory.

Hope this helps,

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 04:58
Thanks a ton. It has been of great help in selecting my desired b-schools.

--Karthik

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 18:49
Hi Paul

Karthik has good acads,work exp and ok ECs.Even though he comes from a competitive pool why do you think UNC would be a stretch? I thought it would be a target school for him.Just curious.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 22:33
Paul,
I am also curious to know what other colleges I can target other than the listed colleges.
It would be of great help.

Thanks,
--Karthik

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2009, 17:21
Karthik,

Yes, I think I may have been a shade too pessimistic about your profile in my initial post. Your profile is basically a good one. It's only major "flaw" is its lack of distinctiveness (plus lack of leadership outside of work). But I do agree that you should be roughly competitive at UNC as well as at Carnegie Mellon. You could apply to UCLA as a semi-long-shot. Your biggest challenge will be showing how your are different from other applicants with similar profiles. If you can find some way to solve that challenge in a compelling way, you could probably aim higher.

As for where else you could apply, I think you did a good job in your initial list but I might also add Wisconsin as a 'safety' school that's strong in entrepreneurship.

Good luck,

Re: Request for a profile evaluation   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2009, 17:21

Request for a profile evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap