GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Request Profile Eval + Career change advice

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Request Profile Eval + Career change advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 00:09
Hi AvantiPrep,

Kindly evaluate my profile

Age at Matriculation - 39 years
Matriculation yr - Aug 2019 or Jan/Mar 2020
Education - BE (GPA 3.0), MBA (Tier II school in India)
Programs interested - Full time MBA (1yr & 2yr)
Locations preferred - Europe & Canada
GMAT - 710, planning a retake in November, aiming 750+

Nationality - Indian

Extracurriculars - Powerlifting team captain at university, Bronze medalist at National level Powerlifting competition, Black Belt in Taekwondo, Winner of various State/National level Bodybuilding competitions

Community work - Taught Martial arts & guitar to children at a foster home, which took care of children born in brothels.
Taught the basics of fitness & nutrition to underprivileged teenagers at local community, to prepare them for a career in Personal training.

Experience - 9 years in Sales Support managerial role in Top companies in the Consumer Electronics Industry in India.
6 months Sabbatical, then for the last 1.5 years as a full time Freelance Fitness/Nutrition/Kick-boxing Coach. As a fitness coach i exclusively work with HNI's & provide customized Personal training & Diet programs. I also train fitness athletes to get them ready for Bodybuilding contests.

Global exposure - None, other than working for Chinese & South Korean firms, hence constant interaction with Global offices.

Post MBA goals - To get into Consumer Electronics Industry on an international level, to gain Global exposure working for Top brands primarily in Europe & North America. Hoping to someday be at the CXO level position.

Schools Targeted - Safe schools - Schulich, Ivey, HEC(Montreal), Smith, Mannheim, Leipzig,
Dream schools - Rotman, Erasmus, IMD, INSEAD, HEC(Paris)

Now my questions are

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice?

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools?

3. I have recently been offered a role back in the corporate as a Product manager. This role is new to me & is very attractive & also its a great opportunity for me to restart my career in corporate. However I am skeptical about leaving my business, which i built from scratch & is doing quite well.
I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again?

Thanks. Appreciate your inputs
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Request Profile Eval + Career change advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 11:34
Hi MrTodd,

Thank you for your post. The two main factual challenges that stand out to me here are (1) your age and (2) the fact that you already have an MBA. Regarding #1, I encourage you to review the schools you've listed on a case by case, as almost all will publish an average age and many will publish some sort of age range, either a middle 80% or full range. In almost all cases you will unfortunately find that applying to start full-time programs at age 40 is extremely rare or non-existent. It doesn't mean it can't be done, but I believe -- and you would very likely be told by schools' admissions committees -- that you are a better fit for an Executive MBA at this point in your career. Regarding #2, you will need to check with each program (either via FAQs or direct outreach) to determine whether they will entertain a candidate who already has an MBA. Some do, some don't.

Beyond that, I wouldn't worry too much about your career path simply because you seem so passionate about it. Wherever you end up applying, I encourage you to "own that truth" and be honest and authentic about your plans, while simultaneously considering why exactly you need an MBA to achieve them. I do not believe that moving away from corporate life to start something new, passion-driven, and successful will hurt you -- and in fact, I think it helps you if it's properly explained and "told" in your essays and applications. Nor do I believe you should feel like you need to go back to the corporate world simply to impress adcoms or pursue an MBA. You seem to be in the rare and unique spot where you are doing what you love, and I encourage you to stay invested in that (if that's indeed what you like). At the same time, if you want an MBA, or think an MBA would help your business, you might consider the aforementioned Executive MBA (or similar programs) as the best fit.

If you are truly dead-set on full-time programs, then maybe you mix a couple in alongside Executive applications. (I do understand there might be visa considerations for you related to pursuing full-time programs, so you might have to search for Executive-style programs or abridged MBA programs for mid-career professionals that still sponsor visas if you're looking outside India.) The full-time programs will be a long shot for you, you'll probably be able to make a better with one-year programs than two-year programs, and you'll really have to explain why the MBA makes sense for you now. (And again, full-time programs are going to be a tough play at this point for you. Maybe you can swing for a couple and try your best to explain your way in. A higher GMAT would be a start. But overall, I think you're better off looking at Executive or similar programs.)

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Request Profile Eval + Career change advice &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 11:34

Request Profile Eval + Career change advice

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap