GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Retake GMAT - need 550 score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Retake GMAT - need 550 score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 06:15
Hello,

This is my first time posting. I have been studying for about 3 months now and took 2 exams resulting in scores of 430 (24/09/2018) and 490 (21/11/2018). I began 3 months ago with the D-test and scored a 380. During this period I focused on the Official Guide 2018 and made all the questions with checking the answers back on Gmatclub. After the first exam I also bought Magoosh online course and went through a one-month studyplan. One week before my second exam, I also finished a practice exam and scored 560. That made me feel better. However once I hit the verbal part during my real exam, my mind was exhausted and end up guessing some questions. Also, I have a hard time reading the RC passages fast enough and have to read the CR stems more than once.

So I need a score of 550 before January 4th, I hope to get an advice from you guys ro reach 550 in a short-time period. I still want to hit my target though so I'm willing to do what it takes to accomplish my goal. My native language is Dutch and to enroll for the Finance program in the Netherlands you need a 550+ gmat score.

Thank you,
Ercan
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Retake GMAT - need 550 score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 08:44
Hello [b]Ercan .....welcome to the community.[/b]

GMAT is more related to the fundamentals . Although by nature it takes time , but can be done . I perceive it as learning to ride a bi-cycle or learning swimming. Once acquired , the new skill becomes your second nature. ( Although it has not became my second nature yet :-) ).

Not sure about your strong & weak suits , but the link below will give you an idea about in how many ways you can achieve a score :
https://www.800score.com/score2.html

To Improve on Quants you can try the below :

1.To start with definitely have a through lookup ( & clear understanding of the concepts ) at GMAT CLUB math book.
2.Follow the link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need ... 40445.html
& Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread
3.Practice the questions at different levels (Recommendation: Once your accuracy is >75% at 500-level , move to 600-level. And once you reach the accuracy >75% at 600-level , move to 700-level )For Practice : DS (https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question- ... 28728.html) & PS (https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-ques ... 27957.html)
4. Where ever you find solutions by Bunuel , chetan2u and other prominent guys ..... understand them so well that you can explain the same to any other.
5. Finally.... If you are shooting for Q50-51........ go for the GMAT CLUB tests.

For Verbal Suite :

RC : The only thing required is practice , try to do 2-3 passages each dayt from GMAT Club collections : ( definitely understand your mistakes & guesses)
For Practice : https://gmatclub.com/forum/reading-comp ... 29341.html

CR: Power Score is a very good book. Then practice at GMAT Club - regularly & again, understand the logic behind the correct as well as wrong answers.
For Practice :https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-question-directory-topic-and-difficulty-128861.html

SC: Rule based .... know your rules ....... Then practice at GMAT Club - regularly & again, understand the logic behind the correct as well as wrong answers.
For Practice : https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 29750.html

All the best !!

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 09:24
Ercan wrote:
Hello,

This is my first time posting. I have been studying for about 3 months now and took 2 exams resulting in scores of 430 (24/09/2018) and 490 (21/11/2018). I began 3 months ago with the D-test and scored a 380. During this period I focused on the Official Guide 2018 and made all the questions with checking the answers back on Gmatclub. After the first exam I also bought Magoosh online course and went through a one-month studyplan. One week before my second exam, I also finished a practice exam and scored 560. That made me feel better. However once I hit the verbal part during my real exam, my mind was exhausted and end up guessing some questions. Also, I have a hard time reading the RC passages fast enough and have to read the CR stems more than once.

So I need a score of 550 before January 4th, I hope to get an advice from you guys ro reach 550 in a short-time period. I still want to hit my target though so I'm willing to do what it takes to accomplish my goal. My native language is Dutch and to enroll for the Finance program in the Netherlands you need a 550+ gmat score.

Thank you,
Ercan

Dear Ercan,

sorry to hear that it did not work out during your first try.
In general, it is helpful to provide the score split as that helps people to asses your ability and give recommendations accordingly.

However, based on your description I understood that verbal seems to be the main troublemaker and that RC is the obstacle in particular.

You might want to have a look at some or all of the following topics;

RC:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destr ... ml#p205035

CR:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/powerscore-c ... ml#p937472

General:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... l#p1643215
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strat ... l#p2082192

If you need further material on a specific topic please let me know.

Good luck for the prep and the next exam,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 13:29
Hi Ercan,

With a 490, you are actually closer to 550+ than you probably realize. In addition, with that type of Score Goal, you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you do have to keep the number of little mistakes to a minimum (especially on questions that you CAN correctly answer).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Which 'brands' of practice CATs/mocks have you used so far and how have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Do you have your next Official Test Date yet (and if so, then what is it?)?
3) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your 2 Official GMATs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 22:47
Hi Ercan,

Your current score is not too far off from your target score and very much achievable in a month. You must focus on conceptual clarity so that you do not make errors in easy and medium-easy questions. We are conducting free SC and NP sessions this weekend wherein you can learn approaches that will help you improve your accuracy in these sub-sections. In the coming weeks we would be conducting such sessions for other sub-sections as well. Register on the below links to reserve your spot.

I would also like to invite you to try our Free Trial. I am sharing a couple of direct links below, you can get access to 25+ video lessons and 350+ practice questions by signing up for Free Trial. Your issue of not being able to comprehend the text in one reading is addressed in our course, Master Comprehension.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out to us at support@e-gmat.com in case of any further GMAT related query.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 00:27
550 is achievable. For Quant use Target test Prep. it offers plethora of examples and practice questions.It also offers the periodic reviews of past chapters. Moreover, Target Test Prep's questions are very similar to the ones you'll see on test day. It is the most highly structured and organized quant course available in the market. Through thousands of practice problems and thorough explanations of all the concepts you'll see on the GMAT, Target Test Prep is a great resource to hone your skills.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 09:38
Hi Ercan,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. I’m happy to provide some advice about how to move forward but would like to learn some more regarding your situation with the GMAT. Once you provide some more information regarding your practice and real GMATs, I can provide detailed advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retake GMAT - need 550 score &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 09:38

Retake GMAT - need 550 score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap