It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4834
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 02:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:47) correct 24% (00:48) wrong based on 635 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
This sentence tests two modifiers. First, "only" correctly modifies "when"
Rousseau believed "man is good." Second, "that" is incorrectly used to introduce
a non-essential modifier. "That" is used only with essential modifiers and is not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is used when
introducing non-essential modifiers and these modifiers are separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma.
• (A) The sentence is incorrect because it repeats the original answer.
• (B) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
that man is the "only" good creature in a certain circumstance. In addition,
"that" should only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in
this case.
• (C) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
the "only" circumstance in which "man is corrupted." In addition, "that" should
only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in this case.
• (D) This answer corrects the second modifier by changing "that" to "which," the
appropriate start to a non-essential modifier. However, the new placement of
the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the meaning of the sentence. The
original sentence indicated the "only" circumstance in which "man is good."
This answer choice, however, indicates that man is the "only" good creature in
a certain circumstance.
• (E) CORRECT. This choice keeps the original (and correct) placement of the
adverb "only" and also corrects the "that vs. which" modifier mistake by
replacing "that" with "which," the appropriate relative pronoun to employ to
start a non-essential modifier.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 281
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 06:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that - seems ok. keep it,
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that - only is misplaced. changing meaning. Eliminate
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that - only is misplaced. changing meaning. Eliminate
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which -only is misplaced. changing meaning. Eliminate
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which - seems ok. hold it.

A & E both seems ok. now evaluate A vs E.
in option E, which is used, Which is used to signify that further information is not mandatory required. here, Which details the way man is getting corrupted. Which is perfectly used.
That is not required, given information after that is extra information and no need to use that.

E seems to be best fit.
_________________

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5660
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 07:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - In a while!


ans E..
reason 'that' usually is not preceded by comma... only d and e are left
in D placement of 'only' changes meaning.. only E left
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


BANGALORE/-

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 176
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 11:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
I definitely agree with chetan2u; usage of that in A, B, and C is wrong. Between D and E, E is the best choice.
_________________

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: trying hard to beat gmat
Joined: 10 Jan 2015
Posts: 16
Location: China
WE: Consulting (Consumer Products)
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 07:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
321kumarsushant wrote:
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that - seems ok. keep it,
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that - only is misplaced. changing meaning. Eliminate
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that - only is misplaced. changing meaning. Eliminate
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which -only is misplaced. changing meaning. Eliminate
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which - seems ok. hold it.

A & E both seems ok. now evaluate A vs E.
in option E, which is used, Which is used to signify that further information is not mandatory required. here, Which details the way man is getting corrupted. Which is perfectly used.
That is not required, given information after that is extra information and no need to use that.

E seems to be best fit.


me too A vs E. but my answer is A because the information provided after comma is not extra info, i think of as a conclusion part which is as important as the description before. So THAT is necessary.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Applied
Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 163
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 23:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Between A and , E fits the bill as it clarifies the meaning
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 116
Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 00:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
chetan2u I agree on with u on the use of comma in 'that' clause. As 'that' is used as an essential modifier, it should not be preceeded with a comma; However, I'm not sure about use of comma in which. Can 'which' be used without a comma before it? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5660
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 00:34
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sytabish wrote:
chetan2u I agree on with u on the use of comma in 'that' clause. As 'that' is used as an essential modifier, it should not be preceeded with a comma; However, I'm not sure about use of comma in which. Can 'which' be used without a comma before it? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!


hi styabish,
which has to be preceded by comma...
only place where it is not... 'in which'
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


BANGALORE/-

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT Date: 03-15-2015
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 00:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

The answer is E .

B,C,D has misplaced only changing the meaning o the original sentence .
A contains that which seems to modify the entire clause . -- Which is properly introduced to modify society
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 129
Location: Hong Kong
Schools: Mannheim
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 04:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
We need "which" in this case as the preceding part of the clause can stand alone --> Answer "E"

However, this is not a good GMAT question, as the GMAT would never ask you to choose between two answer choices solely based on which vs that.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 118
CAT Tests
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 04:35
Hi Souvik,

I have a very stupid query on the usage of"which"..

My understanding is that "which" modifies the word immediately before the ","

For example :-

The war of 1903, which .....

In this "which" modifies < 1903 > . Kindly correct me in case i am wrong
Apologies for such a basic query

Regards,
Abhishek



souvik101990 wrote:
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
This sentence tests two modifiers. First, "only" correctly modifies "when"
Rousseau believed "man is good." Second, "that" is incorrectly used to introduce
a non-essential modifier. "That" is used only with essential modifiers and is not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is used when
introducing non-essential modifiers and these modifiers are separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma.
• (A) The sentence is incorrect because it repeats the original answer.
• (B) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
that man is the "only" good creature in a certain circumstance. In addition,
"that" should only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in
this case.
• (C) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
the "only" circumstance in which "man is corrupted." In addition, "that" should
only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in this case.
• (D) This answer corrects the second modifier by changing "that" to "which," the
appropriate start to a non-essential modifier. However, the new placement of
the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the meaning of the sentence. The
original sentence indicated the "only" circumstance in which "man is good."
This answer choice, however, indicates that man is the "only" good creature in
a certain circumstance.
• (E) CORRECT. This choice keeps the original (and correct) placement of the
adverb "only" and also corrects the "that vs. which" modifier mistake by
replacing "that" with "which," the appropriate relative pronoun to employ to
start a non-essential modifier.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5660
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 05:09
abhishek03050 wrote:
Hi Souvik,

I have a very stupid query on the usage of"which"..

My understanding is that "which" modifies the word immediately before the ","

For example :-

The war of 1903, which .....

In this "which" modifies < 1903 > . Kindly correct me in case i am wrong
Apologies for such a basic query

Regards,
Abhishek



souvik101990 wrote:
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
This sentence tests two modifiers. First, "only" correctly modifies "when"
Rousseau believed "man is good." Second, "that" is incorrectly used to introduce
a non-essential modifier. "That" is used only with essential modifiers and is not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is used when
introducing non-essential modifiers and these modifiers are separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma.
• (A) The sentence is incorrect because it repeats the original answer.
• (B) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
that man is the "only" good creature in a certain circumstance. In addition,
"that" should only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in
this case.
• (C) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
the "only" circumstance in which "man is corrupted." In addition, "that" should
only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in this case.
• (D) This answer corrects the second modifier by changing "that" to "which," the
appropriate start to a non-essential modifier. However, the new placement of
the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the meaning of the sentence. The
original sentence indicated the "only" circumstance in which "man is good."
This answer choice, however, indicates that man is the "only" good creature in
a certain circumstance.
• (E) CORRECT. This choice keeps the original (and correct) placement of the
adverb "only" and also corrects the "that vs. which" modifier mistake by
replacing "that" with "which," the appropriate relative pronoun to employ to
start a non-essential modifier.


Hi,

If you have a phrase having 'of', look at the word that can take which..
Here 1903 cannot take which but war can, so it's OK..

Example..
The book of Mr x, which won a prize, was.... modifies BOOK
The king of Iran, which is in middle East.... modifies IRAN...
Both are OK ...
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


BANGALORE/-

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 118
CAT Tests
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 05:22
Thank you so much Chetan...
this query was buggine me for long :shock:

Regards,
Abhishek Sinha

chetan2u wrote:
abhishek03050 wrote:
Hi Souvik,

I have a very stupid query on the usage of"which"..

My understanding is that "which" modifies the word immediately before the ","

For example :-

The war of 1903, which .....

In this "which" modifies < 1903 > . Kindly correct me in case i am wrong
Apologies for such a basic query

Regards,
Abhishek



souvik101990 wrote:
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
This sentence tests two modifiers. First, "only" correctly modifies "when"
Rousseau believed "man is good." Second, "that" is incorrectly used to introduce
a non-essential modifier. "That" is used only with essential modifiers and is not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is used when
introducing non-essential modifiers and these modifiers are separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma.
• (A) The sentence is incorrect because it repeats the original answer.
• (B) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
that man is the "only" good creature in a certain circumstance. In addition,
"that" should only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not
separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in
this case.
• (C) The new placement of the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the
meaning of the sentence. The original sentence indicated the "only"
circumstance in which "man is good." This answer choice, however, indicates
the "only" circumstance in which "man is corrupted." In addition, "that" should
only be used to introduce essential modifiers that are not separated from the
rest of the sentence by a comma. "Which" is required in this case.
• (D) This answer corrects the second modifier by changing "that" to "which," the
appropriate start to a non-essential modifier. However, the new placement of
the adverb "only" unacceptably changes the meaning of the sentence. The
original sentence indicated the "only" circumstance in which "man is good."
This answer choice, however, indicates that man is the "only" good creature in
a certain circumstance.
• (E) CORRECT. This choice keeps the original (and correct) placement of the
adverb "only" and also corrects the "that vs. which" modifier mistake by
replacing "that" with "which," the appropriate relative pronoun to employ to
start a non-essential modifier.


Hi,

If you have a phrase having 'of', look at the word that can take which..
Here 1903 cannot take which but war can, so it's OK..

Example..
The book of Mr x, which won a prize, was.... modifies BOOK
The king of Iran, which is in middle East.... modifies IRAN...
Both are OK ...
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 66
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 13:42
chetan2u wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that compels man to compare himself to others.

A. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
B. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, that
C. man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted only by society, that
D. only man is good when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which
E. man is good only when in "the state of nature" but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - In a while!


ans E..
reason 'that' usually is not preceded by comma... only d and e are left
in D placement of 'only' changes meaning.. only E left




What do you mean by "usually" ? Am I right to say that whenever the information is essential we have to use comma which and with non-essential we use simply that ?

Furthermore, how am I supposed to know what Information is essential and which is not ?

1. At the end of the street there is a house, which is painted red
2. At the end of the street there is a house that is painted red


There are two sentences and both of them are correct...

If the rule would be that one should stick to the original meaning, than Answer Choices with comma that should be simply wrong BECAUSE of the comma ?
Re: Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2017, 13:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Revision Project: Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.