GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross Dual-Degree ($$, potentially $$$) vs UNC/Duke Dual-Degree ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Michigan vs UNC/Duke

• 66% [4]
  • 33% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.46
Reviews Badge
Ross Dual-Degree ($$, potentially $$$) vs UNC/Duke Dual-Degree ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 13:02
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to have a couple of offers worth considering this cycle. I am applying to dual degree programs at these schools, being the MBA alongside a Masters of Environment type degree. I applied to Fuqua as well but was waitlisted, and given that I doubt I would get any scholarship off of the waitlist so I am now choosing between the two options below. Target career goal is big 4 consulting, ideally sustainability but probably general management with option to flex when able to:

Ross: Erb Dual Degree

+better rank and rising (MBA)
+more synergy between the two degrees since in same school, run through Erb Institute
+possible to complete in 2.5 years to bring costs closer together
+better academic experience, MAP program very attractive to me
+Ann Arbor was lovely and close to home (Toronto)
+much stronger in consulting
- more expensive
- Didn't love the "feel" of the campus when I was there, felt very similar to my undergrad and I'm looking for new experiences
- larger class size

UNC/Duke joint dual degree

+much cheaper - full ride at UNC plus some money from Nicholas school
+I liked the area much more than I liked Ann Arbor/UMich
+ability to experience two different schools and have access to two different alumni networks
+Nicholas school better than UMich Environment department
+Smaller MBA class
+would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond
-lower ranked MBA, might be tougher even for Big 4 consulting
-when I went I felt the student quality wasn't that high compared to Fuqua
-more complicated logistics with moving etc with going to two different schools
-facilities at Kenan-Flagler not as nice as Ross
-lower debt may make other career options viable

Money:

- $20K at Ross, nothing at their environment school
- $20K at Duke Nicholas and full ride at UNC-KF (approx $90K value), approx. $110K total
- $?? from erb scholarship (typically is normally enough to cover third year tuition and granted to most dual degree students)

Overall I'm currently looking at a cost delta of around $90K. I could see this going to a best case scenario of about $60K if the Erb scholarship for dual degree students can cover at least the 1st semester of the third year. At $60K delta it is a coinflip for me, and I could really go either way at that point. At current delta it is in favour of UNC/Duke for me personally. As an international student I am a bit risk adverse to taking on debt, even at $60K more, and really liked the experience I had at both Duke and UNC Campus. So what would you guys do?

Cheers and best of luck to everyone else out there!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Ross Dual-Degree ($$, potentially $$$) vs UNC/Duke Dual-Degree ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 21:33
I seem to preface most of my answers on here with this but I imagine someone with greater experience with you situation will chime in. But my two cents is these programs aren't so dissimilar that $60k-$90k difference isn't a big deal.

Obviously there are a ton of factors in play, especially logistics of two separate schools, but assuming you applied to both options because you would enjoy both I think the money is too great a difference to ignore; and I say this as a incoming Rosser. But the most important thing to remember is these are three spectacular schools and you can't really go wrong it's just which ice cream flavour do you prefer :)

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.46
Reviews Badge
Re: Ross Dual-Degree ($$, potentially $$$) vs UNC/Duke Dual-Degree ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 08:23
Bumping for more feedback. I'm currently leaning Ross if I get a bit more money via the Erb scholarship, and probably UNC/Duke otherwise. Going to GBR this weekend to hopefully be sold on Ross a bit more.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross Dual-Degree ($$, potentially $$$) vs UNC/Duke Dual-Degree ($$$$) &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 08:23

Ross Dual-Degree ($$, potentially $$$) vs UNC/Duke Dual-Degree ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap