GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ross (no money) vs. Foster (70% scholarship)

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 33% [5]
  • 66% [10]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Ross (no money) vs. Foster (70% scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:31
I got into Ross, my top choice school, and was extremely excited. However, I just heard from UW Foster and received a 70% overall scholarship plus a Forte Fellow offer. When I did the math, this equates to around $100k in savings over the 2 years. I want to go into e-commerce retail after MBA. Additionally, I am targeting the Pacific NW as an area that I would like to live long term. Obviously, Foster has strength regionally, as I could do academic internships in the area, but I also know that Ross sends about 15% of graduates to the Seattle area (and understand that the class size is much bigger).

Unfortunately, I am going into school with no savings and some additional student loan debt from undergrad so money IS a big factor here. Ross is much higher in rankings and might be a stronger program overall but I don't know if i can rationalize the difference in $$. I know they are in different tiers so I'm not sure that Ross would offer me any money if I explained the situation. Any thoughts or help on what to do/how I can rationalize the difference?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:36
I think Foster with money makes sense here, esp due to your targets and Amazon..... other factors would be undergrad debt and especially if you end up taking a break in your career when you start a family (with a potential of never returning to workforce, like my wife announced after our son was born) :-o

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Ross (no money) vs. Foster (70% scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:37
I was at the same place as you in R1. I got into Ross and I got into Foster with a full ride. As an international student, I am a bit risk averse and my visa situation will be at the mercy of big companies in tech and consulting. So, Ross made a lot better case than did Foster. That said, if you want to get into tech and geography favours Foster, I would go with it and save the money.

Quick questions for you. What is your current industry? Are you looking for a vertical jump or change industries altogether? If it is the latter, Ross might make a better choice just because of how strong the general MBA program is there. For the debt, 100K matters a LOT, but probably gets offset in the long run (in 5-6 years), if Ross makes a 20K difference per year. Hard to quantify that difference but probably true for Ross, unless you want to get into the niche tech startups, which I am guessing you don't want to do? If you want to work in Amazon/Walmart, Foster would be just as good as Ross!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:39
It was pointed out to me the paradox of being risk averse and letting go of a large scholarship - I just know too many international student stories who went to certain schools for the money and did not get what they wanted out of their business school experience, to put it politely.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Ross (no money) vs. Foster (70% scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 08:33
There is no question that you should go to Ross.

Scholarships don't matter enought that you leave a gobally regonized top 10-12 school for one that is definitely regional one.

The MBA is a branding exercise more than most other masters - go to Ross, don't think twice. You will figure out the money part in the long run.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross (no money) vs. Foster (70% scholarship) &nbs [#permalink] 25 Mar 2018, 08:33

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap