Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Sales (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi,

my name's Julien.
1. Nationality - China
2. Work Ex - 3.5yrs, Deloitte Consulting.
3. GPA - 3.14
4. GMAT - 700
5. have some international project experience
6. have my own consulting firm with 6 emplyee, revenue RMB 200M
7. Extracurricular: lead a student club with 70 team member and few big projects; found two social enterpise
8. Recommendation: mentor, with Japanese education background; National service leader, Harvard, J.F.Kennedy School; one client, imperial college, Doctor of enginnering

let me know your idea about my chance to Ross. thanks
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Ross Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
julienKG wrote:
Hi,

my name's Julien.
1. Nationality - China
3. GPA - 3.14
4. GMAT - 700
7. Extracurricular: lead a student club with 70 team member and few big projects; found two social enterpise
8. Recommendation: mentor, with Japanese education background; National service leader, Harvard, J.F.Kennedy School; one client, imperial college, Doctor of enginnering

Hi Julien,

You have great professional work experience and unique extracurricular experiences of your own consulting firm (that generates revenue!); however, here are some "not so strong" parts about your profile:

- GMAT and GPA are both below Ross average
- Competitive demographic (Chinese male in consulting)

The "unknown" parts of your profile are the quality of your recommendation letters and what you want to do post MBA. As your profile currently stands, Ross seems to be a bit of a stretch for you, but it's not completely out of the reach for you. I would suggest doing the following things to improve your candidacy:

- Retake the GMAT if you've take it less than 3 times. Ross average GMAT is 720 so aim for that. However if you've taken it 3 times or more, then don't do it again as you've probably reached your potential
- have VERY strong and compelling stories of why MBA and why ROSS. Do some research on the school and be able to answer the question why will the school help you achieve your goals?
- Consider the quality of the recommendation that your recommenders will provide you. It's a common misconception that the better the title of the recommender, the better the letter will look to the school. You actually have to think about whether these recommenders know you well enough to write good letters with SPECIFIC examples that speak to your candidacy. Adcom is looking for the content of the letters, not the recommenders' titles

If you can do the above-mentioned points, Ross will become a more realistic target for you. Hope that helps and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
julienKG wrote:
Hi,

my name's Julien.
1. Nationality - China
3. GPA - 3.14
4. GMAT - 700

Hi Julien,

You have great professional work experience and unique extracurricular experiences of your own consulting firm (that generates revenue!); however, here are some "not so strong" parts about your profile:

- GMAT and GPA are both below Ross average
- Competitive demographic (Chinese male in consulting)

The "unknown" parts of your profile are the quality of your recommendation letters and what you want to do post MBA. As your profile currently stands, Ross seems to be a bit of a stretch for you, but it's not completely out of the reach for you. I would suggest doing the following things to improve your candidacy:

- Retake the GMAT if you've take it less than 3 times. Ross average GMAT is 720 so aim for that. However if you've taken it 3 times or more, then don't do it again as you've probably reached your potential
- have VERY strong and compelling stories of why MBA and why ROSS. Do some research on the school and be able to answer the question why will the school help you achieve your goals?
- Consider the quality of the recommendation that your recommenders will provide you. It's a common misconception that the better the title of the recommender, the better the letter will look to the school. You actually have to think about whether these recommenders know you well enough to write good letters with SPECIFIC examples that speak to your candidacy. Adcom is looking for the content of the letters, not the recommenders' titles

If you can do the above-mentioned points, Ross will become a more realistic target for you. Hope that helps and good luck!

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice. they are really helpful for my application strategy.

I do not have plan to take another GMAT test. I want to focus this month on the essaies and other application documents for R2.
I want to set myself apart from other applicants, so currently I will say my immediate post-MBA goal will be to focus on the groth and scale of my firm.
As for recommadation letters, my mentor will talk about my professional skills and service. My boss' boss will talk about my people skills (we have overlap project expericence involving a lot of people skills and interview). From the client, she will talk about my good service and the good result for my service.

thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
FCSILVAE wrote:
I’d greatly appreciate if my profile could be evaluated. Feedback regarding my chances of getting admitted and tips for improving those odds are welcome. I will try to be brief in order not to take a lot of your time. Thanks in advance.

Personal Info: 25 years old Brazilian (from Salvador).

Education: Undergrad - Law School (not ranked);

UNDERGRADUATE GPA: 7,09/10 (Due to imaturity, since i got into university with 16 years old);
POSTGRADUATE GPA: 9,01/10 (Business Law post grad at the best law school of Brazil);
GMAT: 720 (Q50, V38, IR 7, AWA 5.5);
IELTS: 8.0;

Work Exp: 4 years of exp at matriculation:
2 years as an intern in M&A (boutique law firm);
3 years as an Associate Lawer - M&A (boutique law firm);

Extra Cs: Head of the pro bono practise of the law firm i work;
Member of the Brazilian Bar Business Law Commission;
2 months as an English teacher for AIESEC at Colombia;

Languages: Portuguese (fluent), English (fluent/advanced), Spanish ( intermediate) and French (level c1 - advanced)

Goals: To change my career and break into finance industry (PE or IB).

Best regards,

Hi There,

Starting with the career goals, these are quite workable for a lawyer who has been on the legal side of M&A and deal making and now wants to be the one making the decisions for these deals. When you write your goals statement, show what has excited you about this field and what impact are you going to create in the future. Also, as an advice- PE jobs are very few. It may make more sense talking about IB- also check he employment statistics of your target programs. Another tip: Make sure that your resume is not qualitative and you show the $$ impact of your work.

It would be interesting to hear the story behind your undergrad- why did you start early? were you an exceptional school student? What opportunities did you make use of while at college? How did they shape you as a person? What does a 7 on 10 GPA stand for at your college/ your area of study? If its below average, you can use the optional essay to explain the circumstances and how you have come a long way since then (Post-grad GPA upside being a case in point)

Your position as the head of volunteering/ CSR sounds impressive. How many people are you leading? More important, what projects have you done? what impact have you created and who has benefitted from the activities?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hello everyone,
I am an Indian Male, with an engineering degree from IIT(ISM) Dhanbad (2015-2019) (GPA:7.7/10)
Xth : GPA: 9.8/10
XIIth : 96.6%
I'm yet to take the GMAT ( Expecting score >720 )
I'd be having an experience of 2 years, in operations, by 2021.
Extra-Curriculars:
These are the reason why my UG GPA is hanging at 7.7. Held 3 positions of responsibilities (1 in department level, another in a chapter, in my university, of an International society, and another in University level).
Was a part of Photography club and an NGO. Organized my departmental fest for 3 years and University cultural fest for 2 years. Headed few more fests to success. In a nutshell, I've been out of the academics for most of the part for Extra-curriculars.
Post MBA: I'm currently working in operations-management and have an inclination towards CONSULTING in the same field.
Here for suggestions regarding my profile, and the school where my way could be paved in the best way possible.
Kindly help me with your suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I wanted your advice on my profile and whether the mba programs i am targeting for the 2021 admit realistic and within my reach. (IE not in the dream school category).
My target schools are Columbia, Kellogg, Michigan ross, Berkeley haas and tuck.

I am a bachelors of commerce graduate with 6.4/7 cgpa from hr college in mumbai (Mumbai University) and a gmat score of 740.

I worked full time while in college , 2 years in an equity research and mutual fund sale firm and 1 year articleship as i was pursuing CA at that time. ( cleared 2 out of the three levels but finals are left which i will not give)

I am a US CFA charterholder and US CMA certificate holder. Have also completed US CPA and US CAIA (chartered alternative investment analyst).
I have been working past 3 years in a mid sized accountancy firm based in small city in rajasthan, india.
I had to shift to rajasthan due to severe family emergencies therefore started working there as my presence was required for family.
I left my job after two years as i found a wonderful opportunity in mineral and mining and have started my own venture in partnership.
Though it can be managed and is stagnant while in the state , i wanted to make it a wholly export unit and establish in strategic locations across couple of countries like in canada and portugal and run it as a more corporate and an organized business organisation, much different from how mining is run in this state.
Therefore i planned on pursuing an mba which will help me manage and organize my business in the manner i want to run it and expand it.
I am ready to invest and grill myself for a 2 year mba in order to take the maximum out of it. 

On the extra curricular activity note, i am a registered mumber of the heartfulness organisation (for meditation) for the past 4 years. Travelled all across the country and have organised various seminars and workshops, played a big part in the green initiative and planted by myself about 40 plus trees. Have also organised meditation sessions for army personnel in my state and have also successfully implemented heartfulness for kids in various schools wherein we are training teachers on how to plant this seed right from a very young age in students.
While in college, one of my most proudest moment was when i lead an NSS team ( national service scheme) and did something out of box by forming a union for the domestic help who were in very bad condition in mumbai so that the local police as well as the members themselves can protect the right of others and to make sure that they are not exploited, due to this the police area head and i had an exclusive coverage as well.
Despite my work experience, the thing i am concerned about is my international exposure in job. That is an area i lack.

Posted from my mobile device
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, and thanks for writing! Given the competitiveness of the process for Indian applicants especially, part of your chances will depend on GMAT. You'll want to aim for a 740+, especially to help offset your GPA. Also, have you been involved in any post-college extracurriculars?

2 years of experience is on the lighter side for MBA applicants, so I'd give it another year (and work on GMAT as well as potentially extracurricular involvement in the meantime).

Hope that helps a bit!

chanduram7 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am an Indian Male, with an engineering degree from IIT(ISM) Dhanbad (2015-2019) (GPA:7.7/10)
Extra-Curriculars:
These are the reason why my UG GPA is hanging at 7.7. Held 3 positions of responsibilities (1 in department level, another in a chapter, in my university, of an International society, and another in University level).
Was a part of Photography club and an NGO. Organized my departmental fest for 3 years and University cultural fest for 2 years. Headed few more fests to success. In a nutshell, I've been out of the academics for most of the part for Extra-curriculars.
Post MBA: I'm currently working in operations-management and have an inclination towards CONSULTING in the same field.
Here for suggestions regarding my profile, and the school where my way could be paved in the best way possible.
Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hello,

Could someone please evaluate my profile too?

Demographics (nationality, gender): Indian, male, will be 30 years old, this July.
· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Visvesvaraya Technological University, (India), Bachelor's in Electrical and Electronics engineering, GPA : 2.78
· GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown): 730 (Q49, VA 45 )
.Work experience (highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- Started with IBM as an IT analyst and moved to Deloitte as an IT consultant. Was an individual contributor, and received a 'stellar performer of the year' award. Planned three
different platforms to address client issues. Worked with the development teams to outline a ticketing tool, curated for my team needs.
- Joined British Telecommunications as a network engineer, and later got promoted as a manager - workforce management consulting ( Individual contributor) . Designed a sharepoint
site for global clients to analyse their project data. Brainstormed different versions to come up with something closer to their operational goals. Received 4 quarterly awards for
process improvement, and 5 (senior) client recommendations. Massively improved operational performances for 3 different projects which was performing pathetically poor, leveraging
the benefits of the dashboard I designed. I have also been involved with several business transformational projects.

- Have a brief ( failed) entrepreneurship journey after bachelor's. I brought together a team from few of the best IITs to build a product, however, failed to gain clients. Learnt a lot from the experience.

IBM : January 2014 – August 2015
Deloitte : September 2015 – December 2016
British Telecom : December 2016 – Present.

· Extracurricular activities (highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- School :
- Was the cultural captain : Was responsible to host cultural events and collaborate with other schools on cultural fests. Received 4 gold medals in school level athletics.
-Was the captain of the school's cricket team, for two years. (captaincy rotated every two years.

- Undergraduate:

o Founded the college's first heavy metal band
o Started the college's first Music club with a separate brick and mortar house.
o Received several gold/silver medals for different inter-college sports/game/music competitions.
o Founded a poetry club.

. Post-MBA goals: I want to get into management consulting or finance.

· Other information relevant to your profile: I have no international experience, but most of my clients have been from diverse nationalities.

Regards,
theleopride

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

Demographics (nationality, gender): Indian, male, will be 30 years old, this July.
· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Visvesvaraya Technological University, (India), Bachelor's in Electrical and Electronics engineering, GPA : 2.78
.Work experience (highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- Started with IBM as an IT analyst and moved to Deloitte as an IT consultant. Was an individual contributor, and received a 'stellar performer of the year' award. Planned three
different platforms to address client issues. Worked with the development teams to outline a ticketing tool, curated for my team needs.
- Joined British Telecommunications as a network engineer, and later got promoted as a manager - workforce management consulting ( Individual contributor) . Designed a sharepoint
site for global clients to analyse their project data. Brainstormed different versions to come up with something closer to their operational goals. Received 4 quarterly awards for
process improvement, and 5 (senior) client recommendations. Massively improved operational performances for 3 different projects which was performing pathetically poor, leveraging
the benefits of the dashboard I designed. I have also been involved with several business transformational projects.

- Have a brief ( failed) entrepreneurship journey after bachelor's. I brought together a team from few of the best IITs to build a product, however, failed to gain clients. Learnt a lot from the experience.

· Extracurricular activities (highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- School :
- Was the cultural captain : Was responsible to host cultural events and collaborate with other schools on cultural fests. Received 4 gold medals in school level athletics.
-Was the captain of the school's cricket team, for two years. (captaincy rotated every two years.

- Undergraduate:

o Started the college's first Music club with a separate brick and mortar house.
o Received several gold/silver medals for different inter-college sports/game/music competitions.
o Founded a poetry club.

· Other information relevant to your profile: I have no international experience, but most of my clients have been from diverse nationalities.

Regards,
theleopride

Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
theleopride wrote:
Hello,
Hi @LeoPride! I've sent you my notes on your profile over in the Fuqua thread so read there-- my comments for you on Ross would be that I think you are going to need a higher GMAT to pop there as an Indian male. But again-- with the right messaging and research-- it could be possible-- but I think a little less possible than Fuqua. That being said-- if you do want to apply for Ross-- go deep in learning about how their experiential learning can help you-- and make the effort to attend their online events and reach out to students. I am such a huge Ross fan-- they have one of the best admissions staffs out there-- so I absolutely encourage you to apply! I had a client accepted there last year in R3-- when R3 was really hard! So again-- at Stratus we have a lot of experience helping people present themselves in the best light! Good luck to you!

- School :

- Undergraduate:

o Founded a poetry club.

Regards,
theleopride

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you, again! Appreciate it.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi

I am an Indian female (24 years old) with a finance and accounting background. I am planning to apply to B-schools fall of 2020 this year .
Requesting for a profile evaluation based on the details mentioned below:

Undergrad Information: B.com Honours at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University

Target GMAT Score: 730 (looking to understand what it should be to maximise chances of admission)

GPA: 76% aggregate, passed first division (we do not have a GPA/ percentile system at Delhi University, so not sure what the best way to convert the same would be)

Work experience and leadership: I will have 3 years of total work experience by September 2020 which will include:
- ~2.5 years as a Senior Analyst at PwC India in front-end Investment Banking with a focus on the retail and consumer sector. I was promoted last year and received a rating of 1 (scale of 1-5, with 1 being the highest) and was due for promotion this year as well which unfortunately got deferred to next year in the light of the current pandemic situation. I have worked on several buy-side and sell-side M&A/PE transactions in the past two years and have also co-authored few thought leaderships and newsletters published by PwC India in the consumer sector. My responsibilities have included deal origination (development of pitch books), financial modeling, preparation of information memos and assisting in due-diligence. I have also significantly contributed to pitches for two large marquee companies for which we got the mandate and are currently working on deal execution.

- 5 months at EY Global in the Assurance team

Extra Curriculars: I was the President of the Finance Cell in my college where we conducted multiple events and fests like strategy games, mock stocks, Bplans etc., I was also a member of the entrepreneurship cell in my college.

Post MBA goals: I think my primary purpose for doing an MBA is to get positions at leading management consulting and investment banking firms. My limited experience in financial consulting has allowed me to develop a preliminary understanding of the industry and the skills required. While I enjoy what I currently do, I believe that an MBA from a top business school would allow me to grow faster, enhance my - technical, business and management skills further as well as build my network (which I have come to learn is very important in consulting and IB) to advance to the next level in my career. As for my long term goal, I am quite intrigued by Venture Capital because of the thrill and rigour that comes with exploring, understanding and analysing new companies and industries.
So I am attracted towards the prospect of working in that field after gaining relevant experience. However, this is more early stage and may change as my career advances.

I would also like to seek suggestions on what I can do to build my profile further and what my ideal GMAT score should be to put me in a safe space in terms of getting admits from Ross and other Top 10-15 US business schools. Additionally, it would also be helpful to understand if applying next year with 4 years of work-ex by Sep'2021 (total of 5 years at the time of joining), a possible promotion at my current org/or switch to hopefully a better role would make my profile more compelling than applying this year with 3 years of work-ex by Sep'2020 this year (total work ex of 4 years by the time I will join).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hello Gylmitul,

Good to know about your interest in Ross MBA. :)

Looking at your profile details, I'm happy to see your ambition, but also feel that if you apply in Fall this year, you would have lesser than average work experience and it might not work in your favor. While consulting firms generally prefer younger candidates, they also value work experience and I would like to think that you might have a better shot if you apply next year.

Having said that, if you have something extraordinary in your profile or on the extracurricular aspects, then the age and lesser work ex. might not matter as such.
Also, with the recent changes caused by Covid-19, schools are struggling, and might continue to struggle over next few months, to find good candidates, so it might be a good time to take a shot.

For Ross, I'd suggest aiming for a GMAT score of at least 740+. It would also help you in your recruiting for consulting postions.

I'm including the following articles for your help

How do business schools evaluate your profile
https://vibranture.com/articles/how-scho ... rofile.htm

Top 5 ways to build profile for MBA applications
https://vibranture.com/articles/build-pr ... ations.htm

If you want to talk to me personally, feel free to email me at mail@vibranture.com :)

Good luck!

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi

I am an Indian female (24 years old) with a finance and accounting background. I am planning to apply to B-schools fall of 2020 this year .

Undergrad Information: B.com Honours at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University

Target GMAT Score: 730 (looking to understand what it should be to maximise chances of admission)

GPA: 76% aggregate, passed first division (we do not have a GPA/ percentile system at Delhi University, so not sure what the best way to convert the same would be)

Work experience and leadership: I will have 3 years of total work experience by September 2020 which will include:
- ~2.5 years as a Senior Analyst at PwC India in front-end Investment Banking with a focus on the retail and consumer sector. I was promoted last year and received a rating of 1 (scale of 1-5, with 1 being the highest) and was due for promotion this year as well which unfortunately got deferred to next year in the light of the current pandemic situation. I have worked on several buy-side and sell-side M&A/PE transactions in the past two years and have also co-authored few thought leaderships and newsletters published by PwC India in the consumer sector. My responsibilities have included deal origination (development of pitch books), financial modeling, preparation of information memos and assisting in due-diligence. I have also significantly contributed to pitches for two large marquee companies for which we got the mandate and are currently working on deal execution.

Extra Curriculars: I was the President of the Finance Cell in my college where we conducted multiple events and fests like strategy games, mock stocks, Bplans etc., I was also a member of the entrepreneurship cell in my college.

Post MBA goals: I think my primary purpose for doing an MBA is to get positions at leading management consulting and investment banking firms. My limited experience in financial consulting has allowed me to develop a preliminary understanding of the industry and the skills required. While I enjoy what I currently do, I believe that an MBA from a top business school would allow me to grow faster, enhance my - technical, business and management skills further as well as build my network (which I have come to learn is very important in consulting and IB) to advance to the next level in my career. As for my long term goal, I am quite intrigued by Venture Capital because of the thrill and rigour that comes with exploring, understanding and analysing new companies and industries.
So I am attracted towards the prospect of working in that field after gaining relevant experience. However, this is more early stage and may change as my career advances.

I would also like to seek suggestions on what I can do to build my profile further and what my ideal GMAT score should be to put me in a safe space in terms of getting admits from Ross and other Top 10-15 US business schools. Additionally, it would also be helpful to understand if applying next year with 4 years of work-ex by Sep'2021 (total of 5 years at the time of joining), a possible promotion at my current org/or switch to hopefully a better role would make my profile more compelling than applying this year with 3 years of work-ex by Sep'2020 this year (total work ex of 4 years by the time I will join).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi Shea

Thanks a lot for the feedback. My plan was to apply this year in R1 for 2021 intake. By the time of joining I should have 4 years of work experience. However, there's been a lot of buzz going around about international deferrals and a larger applicant pool due to the COVID19 situation. Do you think that will make things even more competitive. If yes, would you suggest deferring MBA plans to target the 2022 intake?

SheaRai wrote:
Hello Gylmitul,

Looking at your profile details, I'm happy to see your ambition, but also feel that if you apply in Fall this year, you would have lesser than average work experience and it might not work in your favor. While consulting firms generally prefer younger candidates, they also value work experience and I would like to think that you might have a better shot if you apply next year.

Having said that, if you have something extraordinary in your profile or on the extracurricular aspects, then the age and lesser work ex. might not matter as such.
Also, with the recent changes caused by Covid-19, schools are struggling, and might continue to struggle over next few months, to find good candidates, so it might be a good time to take a shot.

For Ross, I'd suggest aiming for a GMAT score of at least 740+. It would also help you in your recruiting for consulting postions.

If you want to talk to me personally, feel free to email me at mail@vibranture.com :)

Good luck!

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I understand your concern Gylmitul.

The situation is still very unclear and while most schools are trying to be helpful, many might not allow deferrals. I know of a few schools that have announced that students either join this year - by starting through online classrooms and joining in-person when they can, or forego their admissions and reapply next year. If that happens with most schools, there might not be as big a pool of applicants deferred from this year.

But all this could change based on how most schools and students eventually make decisions at the end of the admission cycle. I suggest you follow the forums and keep track of how things evolve at your target b-schools and make your decision accordingly.

One thing, in my opinion, could increase the applicant pool in the upcoming Fall and Winter rounds - is the economic outlook which doesn't seem optimistic for the next year and therefore, it might be seen as a good time for many to go back to school.

Hope that helped :)

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi Shea

Thanks a lot for the feedback. My plan was to apply this year in R1 for 2021 intake. By the time of joining I should have 4 years of work experience. However, there's been a lot of buzz going around about international deferrals and a larger applicant pool due to the COVID19 situation. Do you think that will make things even more competitive. If yes, would you suggest deferring MBA plans to target the 2022 intake?

SheaRai wrote:
Hello Gylmitul,

Good luck!

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
SheaRai wrote:
I understand your concern Gylmitul.

The situation is still very unclear and while most schools are trying to be helpful, many might not allow deferrals. I know of a few schools that have announced that students either join this year - by starting through online classrooms and joining in-person when they can, or forego their admissions and reapply next year. If that happens with most schools, there might not be as big a pool of applicants deferred from this year.

But all this could change based on how most schools and students eventually make decisions at the end of the admission cycle. I suggest you follow the forums and keep track of how things evolve at your target b-schools and make your decision accordingly.

One thing, in my opinion, could increase the applicant pool in the upcoming Fall and Winter rounds - is the economic outlook which doesn't seem optimistic for the next year and therefore, it might be seen as a good time for many to go back to school.

Hope that helped :)

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi Shea

SheaRai wrote:
Hello Gylmitul,

Good luck!

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi

Chiming in here as a Ross alum from a couple years ago. Here are my thoughts on your strengths and improvement areas, which include some similar things to what has been mentioned. Also, please note that my feedback may be pretty direct, but it's based on my experience and I want to share what I believe will be helpful for your candidacy.

Strengths
- Type of work experience (not to be confused with amount of experience): Ross tends to have a lot of career switchers and a vast majority don't have as many candidates with stronger business backgrounds. They tend to be engineers, teachers, or more functional roles in business like strictly accounting, IT consulting (not true management consulting), etc. As an IB analyst with a promotion in 2 years especially for a woman applying for Ross, you stand out. That kind of WE is usually what I've seen from candidates at Kellogg, Tuck, etc.

Improvement Areas:
- GMAT: could be slightly higher based on the competitive set you'll be up against
- Amount of work experience: Ross's average age at matriculation is 28, so candidates have 5-6 years experience. In order to be an exception to this case (with only 2-3 years WE), you must be exceptional in all other facets of your application or have some kind of tie to UMich, Detroit, or the state of Michigan.
- Goals: stating consulting and banking together in the same sentence is a HUGE red flag. every MBA knows that you cannot pursue both paths. the recruiting for each alone is brutal. it's completely unmanageable for any human being to do both, since you need to fly to NYC for banks while there are consulting firms at campus the same exact time for events. If you straddle both sides of the fence during recruiting, firms will see it and you won't be getting invites to interview. You also mention VC, which Ross doesn't have as many resources or connections to besides the local VC network in Ann Arbor. Unless you're willing to make a compelling argument for why you want to do VC in Detroit/AA and have the story to back it up, that story won't stick. At the end of the day, MBA programs want to know you'll be employed by industries and companies that recruit there, so it's best to be pragmatic here even if you decide to change course when you matriculate.
- Skills needed from the MBA: I'm sure you'll do the due diligence here, but I'll emphasize certain things here in case. You'll need to be concrete on what exact business, technical, and management skills you want; what classes, clubs, events, etc. will get you those skills to fill that gap for you to excel in your next role post-MBA; and what that exact role is (tying back in the previous bullet point).

The skills, goals, and your story should be seamless and coherent. What would help is finding something you're passionate about and leverage that as your mission for your next role after Ross, which is a place that's both mission driven and action oriented. If you've taken steps and proven to succeed in that passion, that'll be evidence that you can execute on your "business plan" for your career, which is essentially this application. Based on your profile thus far, it's very career and functionally driven, but there isn't enough about a grander mission that you'll do for certain companies, organizations, countries, society. That's the extra compelling story that needs to be told, otherwise you'll look like every other MBA application any school receives.

Hope all that detail helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
chanduram7 wrote:
Hello everyone,
Extra-Curriculars:
Thanks in advance!

Below is my take on your profile.

Improvement Areas:
- Stats: because you have a lower GPA, you absolutely need a high GMAT to even be on par with your competitive set (740-750).
- Amount of work experience: Ross tends to have 5-6 at matriculation, so you're lacking here.
- Story: needs to be compelling for why consulting after operations management. What industry are you in now? What kind of operations - is it supply-chain/logistics or is it more general operational/functional?

It seems like you're very interested and passionate about certain causes, which is why you devoted so much time and energy in them, at the expense of your grades. If there's a common theme there or a grander story, I think it's worth sharing and crafting it to tie to your long-term goals in consulting. Without knowing what those events and clubs are in detail, it'd be hard to see how that all ties to your story. But if it's related, then you've got something to work with that many people have trouble finding at times even with high grades. You're still very young, so you got time. What I will say is that you need a high GMAT, exceptional career progression, strong recommenders about your leadership skills (not just your ability to execute), and a coherent story to overcome the lower GPA and also stand out from your competitive set.

If the GMAT and GPA both end up a bit lower than average, it'll be a stretch and you'll absolutely need to apply Round 1. Otherwise, chances would be a lot lower in other rounds.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  14   
Moderators:
MBA Section Director
438 posts
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
203 posts
49 posts