GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar

Round 3 or wait for next year?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Round 3 or wait for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 09:39
Trying to decide if I should apply to B School during Round 3 of this year, or wait until next year and try to get into a stronger program. A big concern of mine is that i'm overestimating the strength of my profile, and will end up waiting a year to attend a school I could've gotten into during Round 3 of this year. Any advice, or considerations about things i'm overlooking/missing would be greatly appreciated!

Long story short, my personal situation has changed quite a bit since the start of this application season and I’m no longer concerned about staying close to my current location. Just got accepted to MSU (Broad) after applying in Round 2 (only school I applied to), but now that my options for school are more open I don’t want to commit myself to a program only known for SCM and I don’t think the program is worth attending if I pursue a different field.

Profile:

27 y/o White Male living in the Midwest
GMAT 710 (Q46/V41)
3.6 Undergrad GPA
5 years WE as a Test Engineer working in Product Development at a Fortune 700 company.
Part of my responsibilities includes maintaining/creating relational databases in Access and I have a decent familiarity with VBScript/SQL.

Interested in pursuing a career in data analytics at a tech company (Google/Microsoft/Intel/IBM/etc) after graduation.

Applying Round 3:

Considering application deadlines/requirements, as well as schools I would be interested in attending where I think I could get an admit in round 3 – the only B school I would apply to during Round 3 would be Kelley.

Pros: I Like the campus and atmosphere of IU, they also have a fairly strong analytics program and based on the hiring companies from their employment report they attract companies I would be interested in working at after graduation.

Cons: Might be able to attend a stronger program if I wait a year, or receive a much larger scholarship from Kelley if I apply in Round 1 of next year. Would have to apply as a readmit if I don't get in this year.

Round 1 Next Year:

Schools I’m interested in applying to next year if I decide to postpone applying until then:

Reach: Berkeley (Haas)
Slight Reach: Michigan (Ross) and UCLA (Anderson)
In Range: Cornell (Johnson) and UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Safe: IU (Kelley) and Notre Dame (Mendoza)

Pros: Maybe gain admittance to a stronger program next year, and receive better scholarship offers to offset some of the financial burden of a FT MBA. Should be able to move into a senior position at my job around November of this year (hopefully a bit sooner to include in Round 1 applications). More time to round out the rest of my application with more volunteer experience etc.

Cons: Have to wait another ~18 months before starting my MBA, feels like a lot of wasted time as I’m looking to switch industries. Will be 29 when I start the program if I go this route.
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 281
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Round 3 or wait for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Feb 2018, 08:12
1
Fopak58 wrote:
Trying to decide if I should apply to B School during Round 3 of this year, or wait until next year and try to get into a stronger program. A big concern of mine is that i'm overestimating the strength of my profile, and will end up waiting a year to attend a school I could've gotten into during Round 3 of this year. Any advice, or considerations about things i'm overlooking/missing would be greatly appreciated!

Long story short, my personal situation has changed quite a bit since the start of this application season and I’m no longer concerned about staying close to my current location. Just got accepted to MSU (Broad) after applying in Round 2 (only school I applied to), but now that my options for school are more open I don’t want to commit myself to a program only known for SCM and I don’t think the program is worth attending if I pursue a different field.

Profile:

27 y/o White Male living in the Midwest
GMAT 710 (Q46/V41)
3.6 Undergrad GPA
5 years WE as a Test Engineer working in Product Development at a Fortune 700 company.
Part of my responsibilities includes maintaining/creating relational databases in Access and I have a decent familiarity with VBScript/SQL.

Interested in pursuing a career in data analytics at a tech company (Google/Microsoft/Intel/IBM/etc) after graduation.

Applying Round 3:

Considering application deadlines/requirements, as well as schools I would be interested in attending where I think I could get an admit in round 3 – the only B school I would apply to during Round 3 would be Kelley.

Pros: I Like the campus and atmosphere of IU, they also have a fairly strong analytics program and based on the hiring companies from their employment report they attract companies I would be interested in working at after graduation.

Cons: Might be able to attend a stronger program if I wait a year, or receive a much larger scholarship from Kelley if I apply in Round 1 of next year. Would have to apply as a readmit if I don't get in this year.

Round 1 Next Year:

Schools I’m interested in applying to next year if I decide to postpone applying until then:

Reach: Berkeley (Haas)
Slight Reach: Michigan (Ross) and UCLA (Anderson)
In Range: Cornell (Johnson) and UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Safe: IU (Kelley) and Notre Dame (Mendoza)

Pros: Maybe gain admittance to a stronger program next year, and receive better scholarship offers to offset some of the financial burden of a FT MBA. Should be able to move into a senior position at my job around November of this year (hopefully a bit sooner to include in Round 1 applications). More time to round out the rest of my application with more volunteer experience etc.

Cons: Have to wait another ~18 months before starting my MBA, feels like a lot of wasted time as I’m looking to switch industries. Will be 29 when I start the program if I go this route.


Fopak58,
1) No one else can answer this question for you. You have to take a call.
2) If possible, take a deferral on your MSU admission (just for the sake of keeping your anxiety in check)
3) The actual difference between starting MBA in 2018 vs 2019 is 12 months, and not 18 as you may like to think.
4) If getting a chance to chase your goals in a better way enthuses you.....
5) If getting from a higher order school, and getting to be invited of all the top school alum gatherings of a school 5-10 ranks higher excites you....
_________________

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.


The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/


Originally posted by TheIvyLeagueEdge on 15 Feb 2018, 02:47.
Last edited by TheIvyLeagueEdge on 21 Feb 2018, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Round 3 or wait for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 11:31
Interesting dilemma...I always recommend applicants to make sure they accept their admits with no second guessing. Given you had a few things limiting your options this application season, I think it makes sense to request a deferment and pursue other options for R1 2018. I think you have the type of profile that can win and allow you to potentially secure an admit at a higher ranked and a program better aligned for your career goals.

Even if Broad does not allow you to defer I think you can get an admit next year at a peer school or higher. At your age I dont think delaying things 12 months will hurt you much at all
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

INSEAD Thread Master
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1601
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Round 3 or wait for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 22:35
I think you should wait for round one. You will have a lot more choices, I do think that it makes sense for you to get some community service on the board that connects the dots with your narrative, and I don't think it would hurt you to get at least 20 more points on the board with your GMAT score. White males are kind of part of an overrepresented group and so I think you would be in a different position with 730. Don't think of it as wasting time in your current job as much as lining things up to maximize your chances for success in round one. Given your goals I'm curious why you have not included Kellogg.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 459
Re: Round 3 or wait for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 00:46
Fopak58 wrote:
Trying to decide if I should apply to B School during Round 3 of this year, or wait until next year and try to get into a stronger program. A big concern of mine is that i'm overestimating the strength of my profile, and will end up waiting a year to attend a school I could've gotten into during Round 3 of this year. Any advice, or considerations about things i'm overlooking/missing would be greatly appreciated!

Long story short, my personal situation has changed quite a bit since the start of this application season and I’m no longer concerned about staying close to my current location. Just got accepted to MSU (Broad) after applying in Round 2 (only school I applied to), but now that my options for school are more open I don’t want to commit myself to a program only known for SCM and I don’t think the program is worth attending if I pursue a different field.

Profile:

27 y/o White Male living in the Midwest
GMAT 710 (Q46/V41)
3.6 Undergrad GPA
5 years WE as a Test Engineer working in Product Development at a Fortune 700 company.
Part of my responsibilities includes maintaining/creating relational databases in Access and I have a decent familiarity with VBScript/SQL.

Interested in pursuing a career in data analytics at a tech company (Google/Microsoft/Intel/IBM/etc) after graduation.

Applying Round 3:

Considering application deadlines/requirements, as well as schools I would be interested in attending where I think I could get an admit in round 3 – the only B school I would apply to during Round 3 would be Kelley.

Pros: I Like the campus and atmosphere of IU, they also have a fairly strong analytics program and based on the hiring companies from their employment report they attract companies I would be interested in working at after graduation.

Cons: Might be able to attend a stronger program if I wait a year, or receive a much larger scholarship from Kelley if I apply in Round 1 of next year. Would have to apply as a readmit if I don't get in this year.

Round 1 Next Year:

Schools I’m interested in applying to next year if I decide to postpone applying until then:

Reach: Berkeley (Haas)
Slight Reach: Michigan (Ross) and UCLA (Anderson)
In Range: Cornell (Johnson) and UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Safe: IU (Kelley) and Notre Dame (Mendoza)

Pros: Maybe gain admittance to a stronger program next year, and receive better scholarship offers to offset some of the financial burden of a FT MBA. Should be able to move into a senior position at my job around November of this year (hopefully a bit sooner to include in Round 1 applications). More time to round out the rest of my application with more volunteer experience etc.

Cons: Have to wait another ~18 months before starting my MBA, feels like a lot of wasted time as I’m looking to switch industries. Will be 29 when I start the program if I go this route.


Hi Fopak58,

You should apply in R1 cycle :) Don't look at this period as a waste. Instead, focus on improving your GMAT score by a few points, engage in leadership roles both at work as well as in social-sector activities and focus on strengthening your profile. Of course, you must write to Broad seeking if it would be possible for them to defer your application :) Quite frankly, the third round always gets a bit dicey and it is not recommended at this point.

Hope this helps!

All the best! :)
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Round 3 or wait for next year? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 00:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Round 3 or wait for next year?

  new topic post reply Update application status  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.