GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ryerson (Ted Rogers) or McMaster (DeGroote - Co-op MBA) [Canada]

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
Ryerson (Ted Rogers) or McMaster (DeGroote - Co-op MBA) [Canada]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 13:00
Hey Guys,

I have an admit from both Ryerson and Degroote (Co-op). I have the pros and cons for the both the schools, but i need a second opinion to be ultra sure whether my decision is right or wrong.

Ryerson :
Pros
- Fees ($40k)
- Prime location
- Great recent reviews from alumni and current students in terms of jobs and salaries.

Cons:
-Comparatively a young MBA school (10-11 years old)
-University's reputation is less than mcmaster's

Degroote:

Pros
-Co-op : 12 months paid internship. Might get a chance to get a full time job within the mba.
-$5000 scholarship. Not a big amount, but still this shows that I am good fit for the school.
-Living expenses will be cheaper

Cons
- THE BIGGEST ISSUE: FEES ($85-90K for 28 months). Which is around 45 lakhs INR. Too much.
- Location : Not many companies come there or are located there. Might need to move to some other place after MBA.
- Mainly a finance oriented school (which is not my field/interest)

For now, I have decided to go to Ryerson because of various factors and decisions.
Need to know whether the decision is right, or should i change my decision.

A little heads up : I come for a marketing/operations background with a 2.5 years of work ex.
I am looking for a career either in Consulting or Marketing (Branding).

Please help me by giving your opinions.

Thanks in advance :)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.12
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: Ryerson (Ted Rogers) or McMaster (DeGroote - Co-op MBA) [Canada]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 04:28
what have you decided
Intern
Intern
Re: Ryerson (Ted Rogers) or McMaster (DeGroote - Co-op MBA) [Canada]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2018, 11:50
Hope you've successfully made it to Ryerson and are enjoying your time here!

An international student's perspective for anyone looking to address this in the future:

Ryerson and McMaster are very different programs.

1. Class: Generally speaking, Ryerson MBAs tend to have a lot more experience under their belts than those at McMaster. Doesn't necessarily mean the post-MBA prospects would be much better, but just goes to show the difference.

2. Cost: Yes, McMaster is more expensive but you more than make up for it in terms of Canadian experience which is extremely, extremely relevant post-MBA. So, on paper Ryerson has lower opportunity costs but if your job search extends beyond the initial few months post-graduation, the advantages associated with a shorter program duration are completely negated. Also, living costs in Toronto are outrageous. Budget $1500 - 2000 per month if by yourself - unless you're okay living in roach/rodent infested apartments.

3. Location: It makes a difference but not as much as you'd expect. Networking remains key and is essentially driven by individual motivation rather than the school's location. Ryerson, despite its stellar location, hosts very few on-campus information sessions for MBAs. It's just a marketing gimmick after all!

4. Areas of interest: Not all of your courses at Ryerson will be available when you want them, so be prepared for the heartbreak!

5. Career Services: Not sure about McMaster, but Ryerson's Careers staff is woefully under-prepared to guide you. Although extremely nice people, they are overworked and just don't have the bandwidth to support you when you need them the most.

Not exhaustive, but hopefully this addresses some questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ryerson (Ted Rogers) or McMaster (DeGroote - Co-op MBA) [Canada] &nbs [#permalink] 19 Oct 2018, 11:50

Ryerson (Ted Rogers) or McMaster (DeGroote - Co-op MBA) [Canada]

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap