GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

SC Improvements and Obstacles for e-gmat online self study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
SC Improvements and Obstacles for e-gmat online self study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 10:06
Hi all fellow e-GMATers,

Give a little bit background on myself (Non-native) – undergrad major in Finance and working full time. Preparing for graduate school (Master in computer science) which requires GMAT for admission. For weekdays, I spend 1-2 hours; for weekend, I spend average 4-5 hours to study.

I signed up for e-Gmat (verbal & Quant online) course on Dec 23, 2018. For the first week, I went through the “Getting Started” section and completed the OG Diagnostic quizzes for SC, RC, CR, Arithmetic & Algebra. The sub-section results are brutal for SC (23%), RC & CR (both above 50%).
For second & third week, I completed “Master Comprehension” & Module 1 (Foundation Concepts) & Module 2 (Subject Verb) in Verbal Section. Here it is my first hurdle comes …

After “Subject Verb” Module, my concepts of SV must exist, SV # agreement & SV must make sense already engraved in my brain. Even though I am not really comfortable to apply e-gmat 3 step processes. I forced myself to write down notes in a systematic way, 1) Meaning Analysis, 2) Error Analysis & 3) POE. My result for the 1st OG quizzes goes up to 54%. (By the time, I was so thrilled that only 3 weeks my SC ability have significantly improved).

However, when I did OG SC VR quiz … my score dropped back to 30%. I sat down and calmed myself down. What’s wrong with me?
The first problem, when I applied 3 step process, I won’t be able to spot some of the errors on the original sentence. I am fine with the SV part(still have some silly mistake), while other parts: pronoun, verb, idiom, modifier etc., I wasn’t able to find out what is wrong since I didn’t go via yet?

What I am thinking … should I go back to day 1 and revise all “Master Comprehension” tutorials, Module 1 (Foundation Concepts) & Module 2 (Subject Verb) in Verbal Section, then re-attempt OG SV by using 3 step process?

Please advise and help me overcome this SC obstacle!

Thank you very much!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
SC Improvements and Obstacles for e-gmat online self study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 07:51
You should keep continuing with the course. The thing is that with the OG Quiz for SV agreement is that even though the sentence are testing only SV agreement to eliminate wrong answers you need to know the other rules as well.So basically by time you finish the entire course you will see tremendous improvement in your SC scores.

Also complement your SC course with these summary notes as well.They're really helpful.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-study-not ... l#p2066141

Hit the the kudos button if you like the post

Verbal Question Banks:-
1.Collection of ALL 775 Verbal GMATPREP Questions 2.Aristotle RC-99 The Definitive RC Guide 3.Aristotle SC Grail 4.Vocabulary List 5.Kaplan 800 Advance Studies

MBA Resources:-
1.Top 25 US MBA Application Fees 2018-2019 2.Top 20 US MBA Tuition Fees 2018-2019

Thanks

RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: SC Improvements and Obstacles for e-gmat online self study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:11
Hello jacqui ...... welcome to the community.

All the sections in GMAT are application based. It takes some time to internalize the concepts before they become your second habit. I completely agree with GmatWizard .... you should continue learning and practicing. SV Qs , rather any SC Qs, does not tests you on a single rule ... rather they are mixed up with other issues as well - namely, pronoun, parallelism, comparison meaning etc.
I would try to complete the course diligently and then try to gauge or judge my ability and accuracy under timed condition. Till then .... learn mindfully and happily :-) .

All the best !!

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 09:16
Thank you GMatwizard & u1983!

As advised, will do a brief concepts review to solidify my knowledge and then complete SV OG error analysis before I move on to the next Module.

Thank you again and appreciate your advise!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 10:27
jacqui wrote:
Hi all fellow e-GMATers,

Give a little bit background on myself (Non-native) – undergrad major in Finance and working full time. Preparing for graduate school (Master in computer science) which requires GMAT for admission. For weekdays, I spend 1-2 hours; for weekend, I spend average 4-5 hours to study.

I signed up for e-Gmat (verbal & Quant online) course on Dec 23, 2018. For the first week, I went through the “Getting Started” section and completed the OG Diagnostic quizzes for SC, RC, CR, Arithmetic & Algebra. The sub-section results are brutal for SC (23%), RC & CR (both above 50%).
For second & third week, I completed “Master Comprehension” & Module 1 (Foundation Concepts) & Module 2 (Subject Verb) in Verbal Section. Here it is my first hurdle comes …

After “Subject Verb” Module, my concepts of SV must exist, SV # agreement & SV must make sense already engraved in my brain. Even though I am not really comfortable to apply e-gmat 3 step processes. I forced myself to write down notes in a systematic way, 1) Meaning Analysis, 2) Error Analysis & 3) POE. My result for the 1st OG quizzes goes up to 54%. (By the time, I was so thrilled that only 3 weeks my SC ability have significantly improved).

However, when I did OG SC VR quiz … my score dropped back to 30%. I sat down and calmed myself down. What’s wrong with me?
The first problem, when I applied 3 step process, I won’t be able to spot some of the errors on the original sentence. I am fine with the SV part(still have some silly mistake), while other parts: pronoun, verb, idiom, modifier etc., I wasn’t able to find out what is wrong since I didn’t go via yet?

What I am thinking … should I go back to day 1 and revise all “Master Comprehension” tutorials, Module 1 (Foundation Concepts) & Module 2 (Subject Verb) in Verbal Section, then re-attempt OG SV by using 3 step process?

Please advise and help me overcome this SC obstacle!

Thank you very much!

Hi,

Hang in there! Egmat SC course is the best in the market and I am sure it will materialise soon. Continue the process of taking notes and devoting those free 5-10 minutes in a day to revising them! Once you get the hang of it,everything else will fall into place.

Also,do read the MGMAT SC guide for a much more detailed understanding.

Best wishes :)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 11:25
Thank you guys, I only watched one item from egmat course and studied the rest from another resource and couldn't go benoyd solving any sentence, will revise them and take notes to solidify my knowledge.

Thank you jacqui for submitting this post.

Sent from my BAC-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 18:20
Hi jacqui,

As everyone else has mentioned in this thread, not every question tests you on SV alone. Some questions from the OG test you on multiple topics, the primary one being the topic it is put under. You should review the solutions to the quiz and mark the questions that tested various topics. After completing the entire course you can come back and solve these bookmarked questions as by then you would know all the topics.

For any further queries, please feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com.

Regards,
Aditee

Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: SC Improvements and Obstacles for e-gmat online self study   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2019, 18:20

SC Improvements and Obstacles for e-gmat online self study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: egmat

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap