It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC-vacation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

SC-vacation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:12
For many travelers, charter vacations often turn out to cost considerably more than they originally seemed.

(A) they originally seemed
(B) they originally seem to
(C) they seemingly would cost originally
(D) it seemed originally
(E) it originally seemed they would

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-vacation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 20:43
E.. This question got debated to death in several forums. Please do a search in this forum for detailed explanations

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2008, 21:24
spriya wrote:
For many travelers, charter vacations often turn out to cost considerably more than they originally seemed.

(D) it seemed originally

For this one there is a dispute b/w A and E. In E how can "it" refer to plural vacations. Hence I will go with A.

Some information from other posts
ELLIPSIS
1. Though the remains of someof the oldest homind specimens have
almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the
bone, most are not mineralized, only partially are so.

a) only partially are so.
b) only in part.
c) only partially
d) or only in part
e) or are only partially so.

I personally make a choice between a) and e). What is not clear for me is what "so" is refered to? I thought so can be refered to adj.: "the question is SO tricky that..." Then, what is the correct word order rule?
ERIN:First, we should notice that we need a conjunction between the two parts of the sentence. That gets us down to D and E.

D is not possible because only in part is not logically parallel with anything.

E is the best answer for sure, and so replaces mineralized. so is what some people call a "proform," i.e., it can replace other parts of speech. Think of it as a pronoun, but not for nouns. I bet you already use this--I think so, He didn't say so, etc.

so... that... is totally different. so... that... together is a conjunction and doesn't replace another part of speech.

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

A. had elected early retirement rather than face
B. had elected early retirement instead of facing
C. have elected retiring early instead of facing
D. have elected to retire early rather than facing
E. have elected to retire early rather than face

The official answer is E. What I can't understand is that the "face" used w/out "to". Since "retire" and "face" both modify "elected", it would be more || for me if it sounds like "have elected TO retire early rather then TO face". Why "to" is omitted?
First of all, it's grammatically correct to use it either way, and we don't have the option of choosing it, you must agree--all other answer choices violate important grammar rules. Second, I would suggest that have and face are parallel, not retire and face, since the doctors are not "electing" between "retiring early..." and "facing threats..." But I think this second point is very minor and understanding it doesn't really help us get the right answer
Similar to rising interest rates, consumer and producer prices once have been rising
A.
B Consumer and producer prices have been rising, as have interest rates
C. As interest rates are rising, so have consumer and product prices
D. Consumer and producer prices have been rising like interest rates do
E. Consumer and producer prices, as interest rates, have been rising

The official answer is B. But again I have a question about omission. The tense is Present Perfect Continious = have + been + [ing]. BUT in the second part there is only "have": "as have interest rates". Where is "been"?? Why it is omitted?
This one's tricky, and perhaps not easy to explain or understand. The short answer is that we can "ellipse" (omit by the process of (Omission problem)ellipsis) parts of the verb phrase that are repeated.

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 10:34
x97agarwal wrote:
spriya wrote:

(D) it seemed originally

For this one there is a dispute b/w A and E. In E how can "it" refer to plural vacations. Hence I will go with A.

Some information from other posts
ELLIPSIS
1. Though the remains of someof the oldest homind specimens have
almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the
bone, most are not mineralized, only partially are so.

a) only partially are so.
b) only in part.
c) only partially
d) or only in part
e) or are only partially so.

I personally make a choice between a) and e). What is not clear for me is what "so" is refered to? I thought so can be refered to adj.: "the question is SO tricky that..." Then, what is the correct word order rule?
ERIN:First, we should notice that we need a conjunction between the two parts of the sentence. That gets us down to D and E.

D is not possible because only in part is not logically parallel with anything.

E is the best answer for sure, and so replaces mineralized. so is what some people call a "proform," i.e., it can replace other parts of speech. Think of it as a pronoun, but not for nouns. I bet you already use this--I think so, He didn't say so, etc.

so... that... is totally different. so... that... together is a conjunction and doesn't replace another part of speech.

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

A. had elected early retirement rather than face
B. had elected early retirement instead of facing
C. have elected retiring early instead of facing
D. have elected to retire early rather than facing
E. have elected to retire early rather than face

The official answer is E. What I can't understand is that the "face" used w/out "to". Since "retire" and "face" both modify "elected", it would be more || for me if it sounds like "have elected TO retire early rather then TO face". Why "to" is omitted?
First of all, it's grammatically correct to use it either way, and we don't have the option of choosing it, you must agree--all other answer choices violate important grammar rules. Second, I would suggest that have and face are parallel, not retire and face, since the doctors are not "electing" between "retiring early..." and "facing threats..." But I think this second point is very minor and understanding it doesn't really help us get the right answer
Similar to rising interest rates, consumer and producer prices once have been rising
A.
B Consumer and producer prices have been rising, as have interest rates
C. As interest rates are rising, so have consumer and product prices
D. Consumer and producer prices have been rising like interest rates do
E. Consumer and producer prices, as interest rates, have been rising

The official answer is B. But again I have a question about omission. The tense is Present Perfect Continious = have + been + [ing]. BUT in the second part there is only "have": "as have interest rates". Where is "been"?? Why it is omitted?
This one's tricky, and perhaps not easy to explain or understand. The short answer is that we can "ellipse" (omit by the process of (Omission problem)ellipsis) parts of the verb phrase that are repeated.

I agree with (B)
(B) Consumer and producer prices have been rising,
as have interest rates

first part (present continuing) says prices are rising and second (present over) says already have risen.Hence a comparison is made.
So its necessary that when two trends are compared one should have occurred before other.

Here in the below Question my query is actually regarding :

(D) it seemed originally

Can anyone help solving?
Is it the same question as mentioned above ?

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: SC-vacation   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2008, 10:34

SC-vacation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap