It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scared to ask for recommendation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Scared to ask for recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 19:47
I'm basically scared that if I ask for a recommendation, and if I don't get into the schools I want, I'll be doomed. To me it seems like the end of the world. Will the employer look at me as unreliable? Will they think of me as not loyal? Will good work assignments slide away from me? I just don't know how to handle this situation. Please help? I am sweating over such a tiny thing in life. Should I, in general, change my attitude and look at this in an entirely new way? All suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm crippled by fear. I live in the US.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Sloan MIT Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Darden '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Scared to ask for recommendation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 01:03
30mgmat wrote:
I'm basically scared that if I ask for a recommendation, and if I don't get into the schools I want, I'll be doomed. To me it seems like the end of the world. Will the employer look at me as unreliable? Will they think of me as not loyal? Will good work assignments slide away from me? I just don't know how to handle this situation. Please help? I am sweating over such a tiny thing in life. Should I, in general, change my attitude and look at this in an entirely new way? All suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm crippled by fear. I live in the US.

I think it depends on your personal relationship with your recommendors.
For me, I was lucky enough that my current manager agrees to write me the LOR without these problems.
If you think by asking your current boss for LOR would affects your work, then you can ask your ex-boss.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 09:40
30mgmat wrote:

What is your employer's policy on b-school (encouraged, discouraged, etc.)? I'd like to think your manager would be supportive of anything to help your career (even if it means leaving for b-school), but I suppose not all managers are like that. Alternatively, you could ask a previous employer, etc. for recommendation?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 07:50
omizzle wrote:
30mgmat wrote:

What is your employer's policy on b-school (encouraged, discouraged, etc.)? I'd like to think your manager would be supportive of anything to help your career (even if it means leaving for b-school), but I suppose not all managers are like that. Alternatively, you could ask a previous employer, etc. for recommendation?

First omizzle, take a deep breath! Now, let me try to reassure you that you are not the first to have these thoughts. And that sometimes you are correct in having reservations. Let me tell you from the adcom side (I have been on the reading end of these applications for over 15 yrs) and I can say there is a way to manage this. You can get someone you trust in the organization (if there is someone- and if not- you need to get out! But that's another story), this person does not have to be in your direct line of command- but if they have seen your work product currently or in the past that can suffice. Then in the optional essay you mention that the climate for MBA seekers has been hostile at times and you can't risk tipping your hand now so you have asked xxx, who has seen your work on xxx project, to be your recommender. Adcoms have seen it all and if you explain it simply and with this jist, it should not have a negative impact on the application. I hope that helps, and if there are any other tips or issues that you'd like to discuss, you can reach our office for a free consult to find out how a consultant might be able to work with you on a short term basis to answer some questions or to work with you on full applications. Best wishes to you! http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 19:12
Hey,
Most employers should be pretty open about giving recommendation for b-school application. You are not leaving them for competitors or another job.
Also like people mentioned above, you can ask previous employer, or organisation you interned or University professors you worked closely with etc. A recommendation from current employer could add extra value as its latest. Just ask for one!!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: Scared to ask for recommendation   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2017, 19:12

Scared to ask for recommendation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap