Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Schools to apply for a career in Management Consulting ? [#permalink]
rpratt620 wrote:
I wanted to update this thread in regards to ranking schools by their strength in MC - particularly among MBB. I ran some numbers using data over the past 4 years (2007-2011) This accounts for how schools performed when the market was both great (2007,2008) and horrid (2009,2010) for Management Consulting. Thankfully, based on the economy, recent press released from top consulting firms, and other sources, it appears that recruiting is once again on the rise and 2011 stands poised to be a big year again.

This ranking was derived using the following methodology:
1. (50%) # of MBB hires from the school divided by # of total students seeking employment.
2. (50%) # of MBB hires divided by the proportion of consulting industry students in from the school seeking employment.
An index score was then assigned to each school so that we can see how far apart they are in relation to each other . Top school = 100

*Note: HBS, Stanford, and Stern are highly protective of their recruiting #'s and refuse to give them out. It is assumed that HBS/Stanford are the best MC schools, but its hard to know w/o any hard #'s. I have no clue about Stern - my guess is they would be in the 10-15 rank range...

Here is how they stacked up relative to one another:

1. HBS/Stanford/Wharton - 100
4. MIT - 87
5. Kellogg - 83
6. Columbia - 80
7. Chicago - 67
8. Tuck - 66
9. Ross / Haas - 47
11. Darden - 41
12. Duke - 29

Obviously, this is flawed because it really depends on # of students who want MBB/ # of students who get offers. This is also assuming that the quality (based on undergrad school/GPA/GMAT) is comparable across schools. I mean someone with a 3.8 engineering GPA at MIT and 780 GMAT is different than a 2.9 soft major GPA ,unknown school and 610 GMAT trying to get on a closed list for the first interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
socalmike wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:
I wanted to update this thread in regards to ranking schools by their strength in MC - particularly among MBB. I ran some numbers using data over the past 4 years (2007-2011) This accounts for how schools performed when the market was both great (2007,2008) and horrid (2009,2010) for Management Consulting. Thankfully, based on the economy, recent press released from top consulting firms, and other sources, it appears that recruiting is once again on the rise and 2011 stands poised to be a big year again.

1. (50%) # of MBB hires from the school divided by # of total students seeking employment.
2. (50%) # of MBB hires divided by the proportion of consulting industry students in from the school seeking employment.
An index score was then assigned to each school so that we can see how far apart they are in relation to each other . Top school = 100

*Note: HBS, Stanford, and Stern are highly protective of their recruiting #'s and refuse to give them out. It is assumed that HBS/Stanford are the best MC schools, but its hard to know w/o any hard #'s. I have no clue about Stern - my guess is they would be in the 10-15 rank range...

4. MIT - 87
5. Kellogg - 83
6. Columbia - 80
7. Chicago - 67
8. Tuck - 66
9. Ross / Haas - 47
11. Darden - 41
12. Duke - 29

Obviously, this is flawed because it really depends on # of students who want MBB/ # of students who get offers. This is also assuming that the quality (based on undergrad school/GPA/GMAT) is comparable across schools. I mean someone with a 3.8 engineering GPA at MIT and 780 GMAT is different than a 2.9 soft major GPA ,unknown school and 610 GMAT trying to get on a closed list for the first interview.

In a perfect world we would be able to figure out how many people WANTED to go into MBB. Since that is not possible, the next best thing we can go off of is # MBB hires / # of students that actually went into the consulting industry, and the classic #MBB/ total students seeking employment. GMAT/GPA/Undergrad school is already built into the calculation because it is assumed that the higher schools on this list naturally have higher GMAT/GPA, etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
4. MIT - 87
5. Kellogg - 83
6. Columbia - 80
7. Chicago - 67
8. Tuck - 66
9. Ross / Haas - 47
11. Darden - 41
12. Duke - 29
That looks a lot like the US News Rankings :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
How is INSEAD in terms of US recruiting? If you leave the US, do P1/2 in Singapore, then P3 Fonty, P4 in US and finish in Fonty will you be competitive in terms of m/b/b here in the US? Based on the 2010 #'s it was something like 14 of 237 accepted positions in the US. I'm not sure if this is due to those just wanting international flavor or just poor recruiting outside Europe and Asia. Any comments?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Thanks rpratt620, this information is extremely helpful.
Can you tell me how did you get numbers for Darden, as I did not find company specific list on their employment reports?

rpratt620 wrote:

4. MIT - 87
5. Kellogg - 83
6. Columbia - 80
7. Chicago - 67
8. Tuck - 66
9. Ross / Haas - 47
11. Darden - 41
12. Duke - 29
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
Kudos
Just to chip in that we were shown some recruiting figures during pre-term here that showed that the growth in consulting recruiting at Stern over the past few years has continued through to the most recent class.

The obvious choices for consulting are there for all to see, but outside the top few on each continent (in Europe I would say Insead and LBS in that order) I think the differences become marginal. At any of the top schools I imagine you'll have a good chance, and as many have said before once you've got an interview you're competing with peers all across the board, not in your school. Beyond that I think it's mostly down to the environment you want to be in and personal preference.

For me Stern is a good fit for a few reasons. I'm a career switcher and I know I will thrive more in a group that is largely in a similar position to me, rather than in among a bunch of sponsored consultants. That's a loss on the networking side, but not by too much as there are many alumni around and being in NYC has obvious advantages. It's also definitely a growth area within the school and for me that's a positive thing in and of itself - it has some momentum with recruiters and among the staff in the Office of Career Development which can only be helpful. There are also specific things such as the Industry Mentoring Initiative with Deloitte that could be really helpful for a career switcher - I'll be applying for that and if successful will be happy to report back.

I'm not saying Stern's the best for consulting and you will undoubtedly find more people from the big firms at other schools (how that translates into recruitment is another matter), but I do think it's under-represented as a strong and growing area at the school. I feel like the opportunities are definitely there and it's up to me to maximise them. At the end of the day that's all you can ask of a school, at which point you need to focus on by far the biggest variable: how you conduct/develop/present yourself, regardless of what school you end up at.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Stern may recruit ok in consulting but the placement is usually around M/B/B + Booz. With regards to these firms, the recruiting outside M7+Tuck, then Michigan/VA becomes very small in comparison. If you're just aiming for a decent gig or a boutique firm in consulting, then any T20 program will probably offer the opportunity to get an interview, but for landing at MBB, it's all about the name.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Schools to apply for a career in Management Consulting ? [#permalink]
For class of 2014 28% got full-time jobs in consulting compared to 27% in banking. As Stern does not reveal exact number of students placed in each company, does anyone have any idea about the management consulting recruitment at Stern in the last few years? Are they getting better at Consulting? How many are the MBBs hiring here? 3* in the employment report does not really help.

Stern is the only admit I have and I need to make sure if it is worth joining given its focus on banking.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
viks004 wrote:
For class of 2014 28% got full-time jobs in consulting compared to 27% in banking. As Stern does not reveal exact number of students placed in each company, does anyone have any idea about the management consulting recruitment at Stern in the last few years? Are they getting better at Consulting? How many are the MBBs hiring here? 3* in the employment report does not really help.

Stern is the only admit I have and I need to make sure if it is worth joining given its focus on banking.

Thanks.

For schools that don't release information like that, my recommendation is to use www.Linkedin.com/alumni. It's obviously a little less scientific, but still, it gives you an idea of how many people may end up in consulting from the various schools. For Sternies who graduated in 2013 - 2014, it looks like there are 6 Associates at McKinsey and 60 at Deloitte.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3