GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 04:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (00:52) correct 78% (00:53) wrong based on 182 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

A. that they believe to be capable

B. that they believe are capable

C. that they believe will be capable

D. believed as capable

E. believed to be capable

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 07:20
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Scientists have recently received permission to research
embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-
stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of
generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable
ailments.

A that they believe to be capable
B that they believe are capable
C that they believe will be capable
D believed as capable
E believed to be capable

Please explain your answer.

For me it's E.

Just remove the modifying phrase ("derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos")from the sentence and we get..

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells believed to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

OA plz.
Manager
Manager
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 07:27
A, B and C are out as they is ambiguous, D is awkward

E for me

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 11:38
OK....mates....OA is not E. That's the surprise here.

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 12:01
nverma wrote:
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Scientists have recently received permission to research
embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-
stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of
generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable
ailments.

A that they believe to be capable
B that they believe are capable
C that they believe will be capable
D believed as capable
E believed to be capable

Please explain your answer.

For me it's E.

Just remove the modifying phrase ("derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos")from the sentence and we get..

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells believed to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

OA plz.

On second thought..!!

B, If we take the comma after "that" after "cells" into consideration
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 13:00
my take on 'B'. it needs a verb only 'b' does this
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 10:01
The phrase that they believe calls for the subjunctive mood. It needs to be completed by the verb to be in its infinitive form.So eliminate (B) and (C). Answer choices (D) and (E) create invalid sentence structures because they offer back-to-back modifiers without joining them with and or some other conjunction. Only choice (A) remains.

OA is A. Nice try buddies.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 09:15
Its E for me.
answers with "they believe" is incorrect because it doesn't tell us who are "they", it could be scientists or it could be embryos. therefore choice A, B & C are incorrect.

that leave us with choice D & E.
D is incorrect as it refelcets as embryos believes in it but not the scientist.Therefore choice E is correct.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 10:29
(A) for me.

The scientists still believe that embryonic stem cells generate new cell growth. So options (D) and (E) are out.
(C) is out because of the usage of "will be" (Suggests a future course of action)

Now the scientists are not sure of the behavior and needs more research. Option (A) looks more apt for the context.

Raptor

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 11:27
I don’t think this is case of subjunctive. A subjunctive requires a mandate, or wish or some such thing but certainly 'a belief' is not one among them. Secondly a present subjunctive has to necessarily have a subordinate clause introduced by the connector that. Thirdly and compulsorily, the verb of the subordinate clause will have to be in the imperative mood, meaning, in the base form of the verb. An infinitive form such as 'to be capable' of is not a subjunctive verb.

I feel the debate here is between whether 'to be capable of' is right or 'are capable of' is right. I wouldn’t think there is any significant difference between them; I would rather go with B because of the certainty of the stem cells' capability that the choice exudes. C is out for using the future tense;

More importantly, D and E have a fatal grammar error. As written, both the participles that modify stem cells “derived from, and believed as/ to be capable of’
are required to be necessarily joined by a conjunction ‘and”; otherwise, the second participle will be simply dangling as a run–on. So D and E can be dumped.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:04
mikemcgarry
I need help, thanks

OA is A because of subjunctive mood, but e-gmat has the similar question and the OA is B.
daagh also has a post about the debate between A and B, he himself supports e-gmat.
What is your opinion?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 16:13
chesstitans wrote:
mikemcgarry
I need help, thanks

OA is A because of subjunctive mood, but e-gmat has the similar question and the OA is B.
daagh also has a post about the debate between A and B, he himself supports e-gmat.
What is your opinion?

Dear chesstitans

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Quite honestly, I think this question is so bad that it should be taken out back and shot.

All five answer choices awkwardly interrupt the relationship between the target noun "stem cells" and the noun modifier with a parenthetical phrase "derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos" that gratuitously adds more vocabulary to the sentence. If this statement were set off in dashes, then (A) & (E) certainly would work, and (B) would be correct in a more colloquial sense but perhaps not formal enough for the GMAT. This question is atrocious at a number of levels, a true disaster.

Here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question.
Alternative Energy Sources

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 19:03
mikemcgarry wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
mikemcgarry
I need help, thanks

What is your opinion?

Dear chesstitans

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Quite honestly, I think this question is so bad that it should be taken out back and shot.

All five answer choices awkwardly interrupt the relationship between the target noun "stem cells" and the noun modifier with a parenthetical phrase "derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos" that gratuitously adds more vocabulary to the sentence. If this statement were set off in dashes, then (A) & (E) certainly would work, and (B) would be correct in a more colloquial sense but perhaps not formal enough for the GMAT. This question is atrocious at a number of levels, a true disaster.

Here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question.
Alternative Energy Sources

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

I am thankful; that you have given me a wonderful explanation. There is still one problem. This question comes from Kaplan advance which is a reliable source.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 01:12
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

A. that they believe to be capable

B. that they believe are capable

C. that they believe will be capable

D. believed as capable

E. believed to be capable

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The phrase that they believe calls for the subjunctive mood. It needs to be completed by the verb to be in its infinitive form, allowing you to eliminate (B) and (C). Answer choices (D) and (E) create invalid sentence structures because they offer back-to-back modifiers without joining them with and or some other conjunction. Only choice (A) remains.

An 800 test taker is one of the few people who knows how to use the subjunctive correctly.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 01:12

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap