GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 138
Location: India
Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 04:20
2
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

20% (01:17) correct 80% (01:10) wrong based on 297 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.


A. that they believe to be capable

B. that they believe are capable

C. that they believe will be capable

D. believed as capable

E. believed to be capable

_________________
Cheers,
SD
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 208
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 07:20
1
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Scientists have recently received permission to research
embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-
stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of
generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable
ailments.

A that they believe to be capable
B that they believe are capable
C that they believe will be capable
D believed as capable
E believed to be capable

Please explain your answer.


For me it's E.

Just remove the modifying phrase ("derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos")from the sentence and we get..

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells believed to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

OA plz.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: swimming against the current
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 151
Location: Chennai, India
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 07:27
1
1
A, B and C are out as they is ambiguous, D is awkward

E for me
_________________
Gonna make it this time
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 138
Location: India
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 11:38
OK....mates....OA is not E. That's the surprise here.
_________________
Cheers,
SD
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 208
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 12:01
nverma wrote:
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Scientists have recently received permission to research
embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-
stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of
generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable
ailments.

A that they believe to be capable
B that they believe are capable
C that they believe will be capable
D believed as capable
E believed to be capable

Please explain your answer.


For me it's E.

Just remove the modifying phrase ("derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos")from the sentence and we get..

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells believed to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.

OA plz.



On second thought..!!

B, If we take the comma after "that" after "cells" into consideration
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 50
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2010, 13:00
my take on 'B'. it needs a verb only 'b' does this
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 138
Location: India
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 10:01
1
1
The phrase that they believe calls for the subjunctive mood. It needs to be completed by the verb to be in its infinitive form.So eliminate (B) and (C). Answer choices (D) and (E) create invalid sentence structures because they offer back-to-back modifiers without joining them with and or some other conjunction. Only choice (A) remains.

OA is A. Nice try buddies.
_________________
Cheers,
SD
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Preparing for GMAT - March 2011
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 102
Location: London
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 09:15
Its E for me.
answers with "they believe" is incorrect because it doesn't tell us who are "they", it could be scientists or it could be embryos. therefore choice A, B & C are incorrect.

that leave us with choice D & E.
D is incorrect as it refelcets as embryos believes in it but not the scientist.Therefore choice E is correct.
_________________
In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 10:29
1
(A) for me.

The scientists still believe that embryonic stem cells generate new cell growth. So options (D) and (E) are out.
(C) is out because of the usage of "will be" (Suggests a future course of action)

Now the scientists are not sure of the behavior and needs more research. Option (A) looks more apt for the context.
_________________
Raptor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5104
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2010, 11:27
2
2
I don’t think this is case of subjunctive. A subjunctive requires a mandate, or wish or some such thing but certainly 'a belief' is not one among them. Secondly a present subjunctive has to necessarily have a subordinate clause introduced by the connector that. Thirdly and compulsorily, the verb of the subordinate clause will have to be in the imperative mood, meaning, in the base form of the verb. An infinitive form such as 'to be capable' of is not a subjunctive verb.

I feel the debate here is between whether 'to be capable of' is right or 'are capable of' is right. I wouldn’t think there is any significant difference between them; I would rather go with B because of the certainty of the stem cells' capability that the choice exudes. C is out for using the future tense;

More importantly, D and E have a fatal grammar error. As written, both the participles that modify stem cells “derived from, and believed as/ to be capable of’
are required to be necessarily joined by a conjunction ‘and”; otherwise, the second participle will be simply dangling as a run–on. So D and E can be dumped.
_________________
Are you stuck around 630? If you can't make out how to pole-vault over the 630-barrier, you can do so with my one-to-one lessons. (+919884544509)
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1492
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:04
mikemcgarry
I need help, thanks

OA is A because of subjunctive mood, but e-gmat has the similar question and the OA is B.
daagh also has a post about the debate between A and B, he himself supports e-gmat.
What is your opinion?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4472
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 16:13
2
1
chesstitans wrote:
mikemcgarry
I need help, thanks

OA is A because of subjunctive mood, but e-gmat has the similar question and the OA is B.
daagh also has a post about the debate between A and B, he himself supports e-gmat.
What is your opinion?

Dear chesstitans

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Quite honestly, I think this question is so bad that it should be taken out back and shot.

All five answer choices awkwardly interrupt the relationship between the target noun "stem cells" and the noun modifier with a parenthetical phrase "derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos" that gratuitously adds more vocabulary to the sentence. If this statement were set off in dashes, then (A) & (E) certainly would work, and (B) would be correct in a more colloquial sense but perhaps not formal enough for the GMAT. This question is atrocious at a number of levels, a true disaster.

Here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question.
Alternative Energy Sources

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________
Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1492
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 19:03
mikemcgarry wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
mikemcgarry
I need help, thanks

OA is A because of subjunctive mood, but e-gmat has the similar question and the OA is B.
daagh also has a post about the debate between A and B, he himself supports e-gmat.
What is your opinion?

Dear chesstitans

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Quite honestly, I think this question is so bad that it should be taken out back and shot.

All five answer choices awkwardly interrupt the relationship between the target noun "stem cells" and the noun modifier with a parenthetical phrase "derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos" that gratuitously adds more vocabulary to the sentence. If this statement were set off in dashes, then (A) & (E) certainly would work, and (B) would be correct in a more colloquial sense but perhaps not formal enough for the GMAT. This question is atrocious at a number of levels, a true disaster.

Here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question.
Alternative Energy Sources

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


I am thankful; that you have given me a wonderful explanation. There is still one problem. This question comes from Kaplan advance which is a reliable source.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58434
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 01:12
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts or early-stage embryos, that they believe to be capable of generating new cell growth and curing previously incurable ailments.


A. that they believe to be capable

B. that they believe are capable

C. that they believe will be capable

D. believed as capable

E. believed to be capable


KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



The phrase that they believe calls for the subjunctive mood. It needs to be completed by the verb to be in its infinitive form, allowing you to eliminate (B) and (C). Answer choices (D) and (E) create invalid sentence structures because they offer back-to-back modifiers without joining them with and or some other conjunction. Only choice (A) remains.

An 800 test taker is one of the few people who knows how to use the subjunctive correctly.
_________________
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5929
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 19:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2019, 19:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scientists have recently received permission to research embryonic ste

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne