Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Scoring 620 no maths knowledge [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gaetano123 wrote:
Hello everyone,
Do you think it's possible to score around 630 practicing 2 hours a day for 6 months if i'm starting off with basically no knowledge of any high school maths fundamentals?
Unfortunately I never paid any attention during maths lessons during high shool and have retained almost nothing.
I have a more humanistic background and could probably score pretty good in the other non quantitative sections. I'm not trying to achieve an incredibly high score but rather to surpass the minimum treshold of 600 that is required for my master degree of choice. Thanks for any asnwer

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Gaetano123

Welcome to GMAT CLUB community!

Since you question is 'Can I...' so my answer is '100% Yes'

But there are always some ifs and buts.

I think it's very important that you know where you stand right now and also it's important that you follow the right strategy as per your weakness and strong areas in GMAT exam.

e.g. a candidate scores a 630 with (Q-49 and V-28) and also with (Q-44, and V 34) but teh two candidates are completely different

Looking at your understanding about your level in quant I am sure you should look for ward to the score such as (Q-44, V 34).

Now, Q-44 is not difficult even if you regain basic command on Quant till high school. To attain that level you must start from official guide and start going through the concepts to understand the problem areas and comfort areas. Then make the next strategy based on how weak you are.

Subscribing any video course may not help you at this stage so you must picj teh books, take professional help (private tutoring) if you feel like and can afford.

once byou gain the level where you can solve OG quant questions, you should consider taking video course of quant and classes if you feel that way.

Just to tell you the fact, 44 in Quant is easy. Just get 60% questions correct with first 5 questions correct in quant. :)

feel free to ask more concerns

Two MUST join YouTube channels for GMAT aspirant GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
For a Comprehensive Topicwise Quant Video course at an affordable price CLICK HERE
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gaetano123,

Welcome to the GMAT club. It is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more. You are recommended to visit various posts and utilize this forum in the best efficient way.

Learning is a continuous process, and it shines with practice. Math is a very tricky subject that is easy to understand and difficult to apply.

Success in GMAT Math is entirely based on vital concepts, rigorous practice, complete knowledge of math question types and patterns, quick approaches, and time-management.

You can schedule a Counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 30 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club, which gives a complete Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html#p1641411

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve your target score. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

After visiting the post, now is the time to start with the basics. To strengthen the basic concept on various topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems, you may refer to many free materials available in GMAT Club. Our website also helps strengthen the necessary "skills of math”.

Solve as many questions as you can relate to different topics, and it is recommended that you try to connect with many proven experts. You can visit the Math Revolution and get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

While concept learning, try solving 600 level questions by topic and be habitual of creating the error log. Prepare the list of all the doubts you face during solving and practicing questions. This practice will help you assess the topics in which you need more time to prepare. After solving as many questions as possible, take the 1st mock test and assess your performance. You may try our free diagnostic test once. Let some experts evaluate it to make you understand it better.

Continue the process with 650+ level by topic and then 700+ level questions by topic. The entire mock test should be completed in a disciplinary manner. Since this is a bit long journey, 1-on -1 tutoring can also be helpful to shorten the study period if your study budget is affordable.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.
If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.

Good luck!
Punit Joshi
Math Revolution Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts