Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [3]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the [#permalink]
Gmat

Hi Shraddha, I am still unsure after reading your explanation. I picked answer choice E. You say that you can ignore modifiers and apply "including" to the noun. In this case, is "...from central and western Europe" not a modifier? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the [#permalink]
crazi4ib wrote:
Gmat

Hi Shraddha, I am still unsure after reading your explanation. I picked answer choice E. You say that you can ignore modifiers and apply "including" to the noun. In this case, is "...from central and western Europe" not a modifier? Thanks!

Greetings crazi4ib!

While the experts reply here are my 2 cents,

Yes, "including" can jump " from central and western Europe" but still it is of no good.

The logical noun to be modified is "Sculpted boulders", which is 1) pretty far, 2) due to presence of verb "are" "incluing" cannot modify "Sculpted boulders".

Please let me know If I missed out on something, I would be happy to expand more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
crazi4ib wrote:
Gmat

Gmat or any other experts please kindly advise!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the [#permalink]
egmat or other experts please kindly chime in on this!

(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

I picked answer choice (E) and interpreted 'including' to be referring to 'examples of the earliest monumental art known...'. I don't understand why this answer choice is wrong. How come the 15 figures must refer to the 'sculpted boulders'?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
crazi4ib It's useful to notice that "comma + -ing" creates an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier. So regardless of proximity, "including" can't modify "boulders" or "art." Rather, it would have to modify the previous action: "Boulders are examples." The "including" phrase doesn't add any depth, explanation, or result to the idea that the boulders are examples, so this doesn't work.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DmitryFarber

Thanks for your input. If 'comma-ing' is not a noun modifier, how come others are all saying that it seems 'including' is referring to 'central and western Europe'?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle daagh KyleWiddison sayantanc2k egmat or other experts please kindly chime in on this!

(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

I picked answer choice (E) and interpreted 'including' to be referring to 'examples of the earliest monumental art known...'. I don't understand why this answer choice is wrong. How come the 15 figures must refer to the 'sculpted boulders'?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
yeah this is such a poor explanation lol. the prerequisite definition she uses doesnt align consistently with any of her examples.

jmuduke08 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Hii Shraddha.
I need to ask one question. Doesn't the "including" modifies the subject of the preceding clause and I guess subject is "examples of the earliest monumental art".

Hi Marcab,

Sorry for getting back on this so late.
We know that when comma + verb-ing modifier appears after a clause, it modifies the entire preceding clause while making sense with the subject of that clause. However, "including" is an exception" to this rule. Preceded by a comma or not, "including" always modifies the preceding noun.

So basically, the thing to keep in mind is that "including" is a versatile NOUN modifier. It always modifies a NOUN. But it is usually separated by a comma. And it may modify a noun that is separated by modifiers as well. Here are a few official sentences:
Example 1: (GMATPrep)
A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, which includes the
establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

D. including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing

Comma + Including modifies "REMEDIES". But look at the modifiers that lie between this modifier and the modified noun.

Example 2: (GMATPrep)
The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany including , three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

E)mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of toolsfound in Germany, including

Comma + Including modifies "TOOLS". But look at the modifier that lie between this modifier and the modified noun.

Example 3: (GMATPrep & Verbal 2nd Edition #107)
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.
Correct choice has , including where including modifies preceding noun

B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from
Comma + Including modifies "musicians" - in this case the closest noun.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.

apologies for revisiting this thread but i am still a bit confused. you said that including always modifies a noun and in your examples it can modify a noun separated by modifiers. In this question, why arent we allowed to say including is describing sculpted boulders and the rest is modifying sculpted boulders?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
I still find it difficult to determine what is "examples of... modifying.." does it refer to the boulders or to the site lepavinvski
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

(A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes - SV agreement

(B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include -- Correct

(C) Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include - changes the meaning

(D) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes - SV agreement

(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, \(including\) -- 'including' modifies the whole previous clause. Doesn't make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

eliminate a and d , subject verb error the subject is sculpted boulders plural and includes is singular verb
eliminate e , including modifies western europe
eliminate c meaning error
answer b
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts