GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1479
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 23:34
1
rma26 wrote:
Why ''including...'' can't modify previous clause here? I considered that part a modifier and chose A, as I thought it gives a new meaning which is more meaningful!

Hi rma26, the property that you've mentioned (modify previous clause) is applicable for participial phrases.

The word including is actually a preposition (not a present participle) and hence, the normal rules of present participles do not apply to including.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana makes a special note of this usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 59 times

To download please login or register as a user


_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 933
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 01:30
1
hfbamafan wrote:
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

(A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes
(B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
(C) Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
(D) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes
(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including


look at choice C.
"boulders " can not be "art". this meaning/logic error is typical of gmat. be ready to see the frequency of this error on SC. frankly speaking, this kind of error is basis of gmat SC apart from grammar points.
gmat test this kind of error to make our formal written english logic. in spoken english, we say

5 eggs per week is good for health

this is wrong in formal written english because 5 eggs can not be good.

eating 5 eggs per week is good for health

this is logic.

this point is very simple and can be learned easily but is fatally important. we need to change our thinking of spoken english.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 429
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 22:02
thangvietnam wrote:
hfbamafan wrote:
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

(A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes
(B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
(C) Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
(D) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes
(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including


look at choice C.
"boulders " can not be "art". this meaning/logic error is typical of gmat. be ready to see the frequency of this error on SC. frankly speaking, this kind of error is basis of gmat SC apart from grammar points.
gmat test this kind of error to make our formal written english logic. in spoken english, we say

5 eggs per week is good for health

this is wrong in formal written english because 5 eggs can not be good.

eating 5 eggs per week is good for health

this is logic.

this point is very simple and can be learned easily but is fatally important. we need to change our thinking of spoken english.


nice explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 00:59
Gmat

Hi Shraddha, I am still unsure after reading your explanation. I picked answer choice E. You say that you can ignore modifiers and apply "including" to the noun. In this case, is "...from central and western Europe" not a modifier? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 55
Location: India
Schools: CBS Deferred "24
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 05:45
crazi4ib wrote:
Gmat

Hi Shraddha, I am still unsure after reading your explanation. I picked answer choice E. You say that you can ignore modifiers and apply "including" to the noun. In this case, is "...from central and western Europe" not a modifier? Thanks!


Greetings crazi4ib!

While the experts reply here are my 2 cents,

Yes, "including" can jump " from central and western Europe" but still it is of no good.

The logical noun to be modified is "Sculpted boulders", which is 1) pretty far, 2) due to presence of verb "are" "incluing" cannot modify "Sculpted boulders".

Please let me know If I missed out on something, I would be happy to expand more.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 05:55
crazi4ib wrote:
Gmat

Hi Shraddha, I am still unsure after reading your explanation. I picked answer choice E. You say that you can ignore modifiers and apply "including" to the noun. In this case, is "...from central and western Europe" not a modifier? Thanks!


Gmat or any other experts please kindly advise!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 23:35
egmat or other experts please kindly chime in on this!

(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

I picked answer choice (E) and interpreted 'including' to be referring to 'examples of the earliest monumental art known...'. I don't understand why this answer choice is wrong. How come the 15 figures must refer to the 'sculpted boulders'?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1563
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 23:54
crazi4ib It's useful to notice that "comma + -ing" creates an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier. So regardless of proximity, "including" can't modify "boulders" or "art." Rather, it would have to modify the previous action: "Boulders are examples." The "including" phrase doesn't add any depth, explanation, or result to the idea that the boulders are examples, so this doesn't work.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 00:40
DmitryFarber

Thanks for your input. If 'comma-ing' is not a noun modifier, how come others are all saying that it seems 'including' is referring to 'central and western Europe'?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 07:46
EducationAisle daagh KyleWiddison sayantanc2k egmat or other experts please kindly chime in on this!

(E) Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

I picked answer choice (E) and interpreted 'including' to be referring to 'examples of the earliest monumental art known...'. I don't understand why this answer choice is wrong. How come the 15 figures must refer to the 'sculpted boulders'?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2019, 07:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne