GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 02:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:47) correct 28% (02:23) wrong based on 64 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length of \(14\sqrt{2}\) units. If the ratio of the length of a side of ABCD to a side of DEFG is 3 : 4, what is the sum of the areas of the squares?

A. 196
B. 100
C. 64
D. 52
E. 36

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Aug 2018, 05:25
Bunuel wrote:
Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length of \(14\sqrt{2}\) units. If the ratio of the length of a side of ABCD to a side of DEFG is 3 : 4, what is the sum of the areas of the squares?

A. 196
B. 100
C. 64
D. 52
E. 36

Let x and y are the length of the sides of the squares ABCD & DEFG respectively.

Given x:y=3k:4k
Given, segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length of \(14\sqrt{2}\) units
Or, BD+DF=\(14\sqrt{2}\)
Or, \(\sqrt{2}(x+y)\)=\(14\sqrt{2}\)
Or, x+y=14
or, 3k+4k=14
Or, k=2

So, x=3k=6, y=4k=8

So sum of area of both the squares=\(6^2+8^2=100\)

Ans. (B)
Edit: Fixed the mathematical formula

Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine

Originally posted by PKN on 23 Aug 2018, 03:59.
Last edited by PKN on 23 Aug 2018, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 05:17
PKN wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 196
B. 100
C. 64
D. 52
E. 36

Let x and y are the length of the sides of the squares ABCD & DEFG respectively.

Given, segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length of \(14\sqrt{2}\) units
Or, BD+DF=\(14\sqrt{2}\)
Or, \sqrt{x}+[fraction]y[/fraction]=\(14\sqrt{2}\)
Or, x+y=14
or, 3k+4k=14
Or, k=2

So, x=3k=6, y=4k=8

Ans. (B)
Hi PKN,
Can you please show the diagram of the question stem. I am not able to comprehend the question stem.

Thanks in Advance.
Sumit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Director
Director
P
Premium Member
Re: Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 05:49
sumit411 wrote:
PKN wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 196
B. 100
C. 64
D. 52
E. 36

Or, BD+DF=\(14\sqrt{2}\)
Or, x+y=14
or, 3k+4k=14
Or, k=2

So, x=3k=6, y=4k=8

Ans. (B)
Hi PKN,
Can you please show the diagram of the question stem. I am not able to comprehend the question stem.

Thanks in Advance.
Sumit

Hi sumit411,

I have enclosed the required diagram.
Thank you.
Note:- Since x and y are of different ratio, hence squares are not identical though it seems identical in figure.
Attachments

Double square.JPG
Double square.JPG [ 18.6 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]

Regards,

PKN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 00:52
PKN wrote:
sumit411 wrote:
PKN wrote:
[quote="Bunuel"]Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length of \(14\sqrt{2}\) units. If the ratio of the length of a side of ABCD to a side of DEFG is 3 : 4, what is the sum of the areas of the squares?

A. 196
B. 100
C. 64
D. 52
E. 36

Or, BD+DF=\(14\sqrt{2}\)
Or, x+y=14
or, 3k+4k=14
Or, k=2

So, x=3k=6, y=4k=8

Ans. (B)
Hi PKN,

Thanks in Advance.
Sumit

Hi sumit411,

I have enclosed the required diagram.
Thank you.
Note:- Since x and y are of different ratio, hence squares are not identical though it seems identical in figure.[/quote]Thanks for your effort :)
Surely helps.

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 18:23
Bunuel wrote:

A. 196
B. 100
C. 64
D. 52
E. 36

We see that 14√2 is the sum of the lengths of the diagonal of square ABCD and the diagonal of square DEFG. Since the ratio of the sides of the two squares is 3:4, the ratio of the diagonals of the two squares is also 3:4. So we can let the diagonal of square ABCD = 3x and the diagonal of square DEFG = 4x and we have:

3x + 4x = 14√2

7x = 14√2

x = 2√2

Therefore, the diagonal of square ABCD is 3(2√2) = 6√2 and hence its side = 6 and its area = 6^2 = 36. Similarly, the diagonal of square DEFG is 4(2√2) = 8√2 and hence its side = 8 and its area = 6^2 = 64. So the sum of the areas of the two squares is 36 + 64 = 100.

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 01:23
Using the unkown multiplier approach:

according to the formula for 45-45-90 triangles, the side opposite to the 90° angle = \(x\sqrt{2}\) = 14\(\sqrt{2}\)
thus the length of the 2 triangles combined = 14

ratio of the sides of the 2 sqares: \(3x/4x-> total = 7x\)
7x = 14
x=2 = unkown multiplier

sides lengths are:
\(2*3 and 2*4\)

Areas of both squares \(= 6^2+8^2 = 100\)

Hit Kudos if you liked this answer
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 09:42
How do we know that the two squares only intersect at one point (D)?

Given the conditions, is it possible that the two squares share point D and overlap at two sides? Thus the given diagonal 14(root2) would simply be the diagonal of the larger square?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 10:28
hastee wrote:
How do we know that the two squares only intersect at one point (D)?

Given the conditions, is it possible that the two squares share point D and overlap at two sides? Thus the given diagonal 14(root2) would simply be the diagonal of the larger square?

Hi hastee,

Could you please enclose the diagram you have cited above?

Regards,

PKN

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 11:01
I have too few posts to link an image.

My question: what verbiage in the question tells us that squares only intersect at point D. My concern is that 3 vertices of the smaller square may lie on the larger square, with the 4th point of the smaller square contained within the larger square.

The larger DEFG would contain, or intersect all points of square ABCD.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 11:02
Now, I have enough posts

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 11:34
hastee wrote:
Now, I have enough posts

Given in the question:-
Segment BDF has a length of \(14\sqrt{2}\) unit.
Here two cases can be concluded from the nomenclature of the segment BDF. viz.,
1) B - D - F
2) F - D - B

In succinct, D lies in between B and F or F and B.

According to your figure neither of the above terminology meets. Rather 'D' is at one corner making D_B_F or F_B_D. where B lies in between F and D.

Regards,

PKN

BSchool Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 11:25
I made this diagram because someone mentioned they diagram already posted by someone else had the squares look the same size.

Though, you don't really have to go to all that of a hassle to solve this question.

Attachments

File comment: Diagram of squares with bisecting segment
IMG_20180830_002115.jpg
IMG_20180830_002115.jpg [ 4.36 MiB | Viewed 442 times ]

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length &nbs [#permalink] 29 Aug 2018, 11:25

Segment BDF bisects both square ABCD and square DEFG and has a length

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap