Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619205 [32]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64936 [9]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: NTU '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Senator: Between 1950 and present, the number of women diagnosed with [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO it should be D.
If all types of depression are incorrectly attributed to Post Partum depression, it calls into question that the rates have increased by a factor of 10 or have increased at all
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Senator: Between 1950 and present, the number of women diagnosed with [#permalink]
Kudos
C is good.Saying that number increased because of a reason other than people actually falling sick.

I thought D was correct for a moment but 1970 was the dampner
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Senator: Between 1950 and present, the number of women diagnosed with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Senator: Between 1950 and present, the number of women diagnosed with postpartum depression each year in the country of Heranita has increased by a factor of ten. We must improve our systems for supporting women after childbirth to stem this increase in the number of new mothers experiencing postpartum depression.

Which of the following, if true, would most call the argument above into question?

A. The amount of spending on women’s health has increased since 1950.

B. Rates of postpartum depression are not included in official government statistics.

C. The minimum threshold of symptoms women experience before they can be diagnosed has increased since 1950.

D. Until 1970, most doctors were not specific in their diagnoses but instead grouped all types of depression together.

E. It is likely that cases of postpartum depression are underreported in Heranita.

Dear Bunuel ..
I think option D is supporting the argument , instead calling the argument into question .
Please provide the explanation if I am wrong . Thanks in advance !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 211
Send PM
Senator: Between 1950 and present, the number of women diagnosed with [#permalink]
Kudos
I have a question with this stimulus, the question says "1950 and present" Am I to assume that 'present', on a GMAT CR question, refers to the date any test taker is reading the question especially since its the Senator talking... It doesn't seem definite From the stimulus if 'present'refers to before 1970 or today. That's why I dropped option D.
Am I to expect this level of ambiguity on CR questions?

Dear Bunuel, pls shed more light

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619205 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Senator: Between 1950 and present, the number of women diagnosed with postpartum depression each year in the country of Heranita has increased by a factor of ten. We must improve our systems for supporting women after childbirth to stem this increase in the number of new mothers experiencing postpartum depression.

Which of the following, if true, would most call the argument above into question?

A. The amount of spending on women’s health has increased since 1950.

B. Rates of postpartum depression are not included in official government statistics.

C. The minimum threshold of symptoms women experience before they can be diagnosed has increased since 1950.

D. Until 1970, most doctors were not specific in their diagnoses but instead grouped all types of depression together.

E. It is likely that cases of postpartum depression are underreported in Heranita.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Whenever you are asked for an answer choice that will weaken a given argument or conclusion, remember that you should first seek to understand the argument and then you should look to find the gap between the premises of the argument and its conclusion.

You are told here that since 1950 the number of women diagnosed with postpartum depression in Heranita has increased. Because of this, the advocate suggests that the country improve the women's health care system so that women do not have to experience the symptoms of postpartum depression. Already you should see that there are a few gaps here - what if women have symptoms but aren't diagnosed? What differentiates postpartum depression from regular depression?

Only (D) addresses one of those gaps. If cases of postpartum depression were once described under the general umbrella of "depression", then it is impossible to know if postpartum depression is in fact on the rise.

Among the other answers, (A) can be eliminated since just because women's health has increased, there is no telling whether spending to prevent postpartum depression has increased. (B) can be eliminated since another agency outside the government might keep track of rates of postpartum depression so this doesn't affect the argument. (C) can be eliminated since just because the minimum severity of symptoms required for diagnosis has increased doesn't mean that the rate has not increased. (E) can be eliminated because it would in fact strengthen the argument posed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
1970 in D kills that option. Until 1970 fine. What about 2018? Now that postpartum depression is segregated from depression, it is still on the rise. 20 years data(1950-70) is more important than 48 years of another data(1970-2018)?
IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
mikemcgarry can you please help us understand why option C is incorrect.
Also option D is suggesting time period after 1970 but the premise is saying that it is from 1950 to the present .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
C can't be correct as it would lead to a decrease in the number of women being diagnosed with postpartum depression. If the minimum threshold of symptoms women experience before they can be diagnosed has increased since 1950, people who previously would have been diagnosed with it now won't be diagnosed with postpartum depression as they don't meet the new minimum threshold. Option D has a time period after 1970 which fits within the time period from 1950 to the present.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
The stimulus here is that there are ten times as many people being diagnosed with postpartum depression now than there were in 1950. Since we're looking at a weaken question, we're looking for the gap in logic that's going to mean that the argument could be wrong.

The obvious ones are going to be things like 1) what if the category didn't exist in 1950? 2) Can an improvement in the systems for supporting women here even help?

A. can be thrown out. It doesn't address the gap - just because funding has increased doesn't mean that systems have gotten better or that more or fewer women should be expected to be diagnosed.

B. can also be thrown out since it shouldn't matter where the stats are coming from.

C. is tricky, but if C were true it would actually strengthen the conclusion rather than weaken it. Think about it this way: if the threshold of symptoms for something goes up, then you would expect that fewer people would be diagnosed with the illness, not more.

D. works -- Say there are 100 cases of postpartum depression in 1950 - 5 of which were actually diagnosed as postpartum depression and 95 of which were diagnosed under the banner of depression. Then starting from 1970 to present the diagnosis categories change. If 50 people have a listed diagnosis as postpartum depression and 10 people are diagnosed under the banner of depression but in fact have postpartum depression, then even though the total number of people with the symptoms of postpartum depression has gone down (100 --> 55), the number of diagnoses has gone up by a factor of 10.

E. Doesn't really give us information one way or the other.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
This is quite similar to an official question " the classical music "

The conclusion includes the key word "must" implying that without the implementation of plan the increment in the Post depression will not stop.
Now challenge the argument saying " is it a must?"

You'll see that D option actually says that the entire basis of the author's conclusion is based on faulty evidence.

P.S. search the phrase "classical music" in gmatclub,you'll find a similar argument . And a decent explanation by GMATNinja

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
this question is horrible,, C is strengthen and D is a possible/potential weaker, but that is all, a possible/potential weaker, we need 100% weaker
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts