It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2010, 13:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:43) correct 28% (00:42) wrong based on 71 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the atlantic solo.

A) Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the atlantic solo.

B) In 1984,Joe Kittinger, setting a distance record,piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo

C) In 1984, joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy,setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo

D) Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe Kittinger set a balloon distance record in 1984

E) Joe Kittinger,in 1984 ,piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy,setting a new distance record,becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Guyz i dont understand how i can deal with subject,.....,....., sutructure comma and comma again i am so confused....help meee
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Last edited by broall on 30 May 2017, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question, OA added
Manager
Manager
Re: Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2010, 14:51
A) Misplaced modifier - 1984 isn't setting the record joe is...
B) Modifier - Joe piloted the balloon which set a record
C) Correct - parallel easiest to understand
D) Rather hard to understand
E) Misplace Modifier - becoming the first... should modify joe not record
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2010, 19:30
Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his balloon from maine to italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the atlantic solo.

a) Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his balloon from maine to italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the atlantic solo modifier + Wordy

b)In 1984, Joe Kittinger, setting a distance record,piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo Wordy

c)In 1984, joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy,setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo Main Clause, V_ing …

d)Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe Kittinger set a balloon distance record in 1984 Awkward

e)Joe Kittinger,in 1984 ,piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy,setting a new distance record,becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo Use of Verb

Therefore, C is the Correct answer choice.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 02:34
c)In 1984, joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy,setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo Main Clause, V_ing …

my problem is;

setting should touch the noun Joe kittinger. Modifier should touch the noun which modified by modifier.Shouldnt it?

i have a problem when the gmat guyz use that sutructure. For example i supposed that setting modify In 1984 or italy so it is wrong. Can you upload new questions about that sutructure.

Noun,.................,.............., i am confused.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 03:05
yep
C
follow the parallel construction
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
,ing verbs modify the entire proceeding clause.

setting & becoming in a parallel form modify the entire previous clause "joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy" not just the first noun.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 07:30
Can you explain it on this plz

fossils of the arm of a sloth,found in puerto rico in 1991,dated at 34 million years old,made it the earliest known mammal of the greater antilles Islands.

can you tell me the difference between a and d?

when we use -ing after second or third clause it will modify the main noun? but if the other forms,except -ing, be used it means that there is a mismodifier?

a)

d)sloth, found in puerto Rico in 1991,have been dated at 34 million years old,making the sloth the earliest mammal known on

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 07:39
can you post the whole thing, its just really hard to grasp anything when you don't see it all
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 13:37
Fossils of the arm of a sloth,found in puerto rico in 1991,dated at 34 million years old,made it the earliest known mammal of the greater antilles Islands.

a)

b)sloth,that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991,has been dated at 34 million years old,thus making it the earliest mammal known on

c)sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991,was dated at 34 million years old,making this the earliest known mammal of

d)sloth, found in puerto Rico in 1991,have been dated at 34 million years old,making the sloth the earliest mammal known on

e)sloth which,found in Puerto Rico in 1991,was dated at 34 million years old,made the sloth the earliest known mammal of

after you answer i will ask my questions

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2010, 14:04
fatihaysu wrote:
Fossils of the arm of a sloth,found in puerto rico in 1991,dated at 34 million years old,made it the earliest known mammal of the greater antilles Islands.

a)

b)sloth,that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991,has been dated at 34 million years old,thus making it the earliest mammal known on

c)sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991,was dated at 34 million years old,making this the earliest known mammal of

e)sloth which,found in Puerto Rico in 1991,was dated at 34 million years old,made the sloth the earliest known mammal of

after you answer i will ask my questions

B
Implied pronoun and idiom error
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2010, 09:24

a)sloth,found in puerto rico in 1991,dated at 34 million years old,made it the earliest known mammal of
Fossils is plural It is singular which I guess goes to the sloth but the focus switches from the fossils to the sloth which I just don't like.

Who is they? Also fossils is plural has is singular

SVA fossils are plural was is singular

The answer is D
SVA was is singular fossils is plural

D - I don't think this question really has anything to do with modifiers there are SVA or pronoun agreement errors in 4 answer choices.

I don't know about the split between on/of at the end I was thinking of but I don't really know.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '17, NUS '17

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 11:49
I selected B as a answer, because of became. As we are discussing about here past. Can anyone help me with this doubt?
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 00:44
We don't need "became" here because neither "becoming" nor "setting" is used as a verb in the correct version. They are both present participles that serve as modifiers, showing the result of Kittinger's action. Notice that even in B, we have "setting."

B is problematic because it moves the modifier ("setting") in front of the action. The meaning is less clear this way. It seems like Kittinger was setting a record the entire time, whereas in C it's clear that "setting" and "becoming" both show the end results of his action. Additionally, by creating a new clause ("and he became"), B implies that becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo was a separate, additional action, when in fact it was the same action as "piloted." The idea is that when we piloted the balloon, he set a speed record and became the first one to cross the Atlantic solo. Since both of these things are consequences of the main action ("piloted"), the use of a modifier with -ing words makes the most sense.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 22:18
C correct
Ving modifier to express result

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 08:10
A - year didnt set
B - same as A
C - comma comma - meaning changes
In 1984, joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy,setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo
In 1984,setting
isnt this incorrect?
D - meaning change
E answer
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:26
Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

A. Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.
B. In 1984, Joe Kittinger, setting a distance record, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.
C. In 1984, Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.
D. Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe Kittinger set a balloon distance record in 1984.
E. Joe Kittinger, in 1984, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a new distance record, becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:34
Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo.

A. Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. Dangling modifier. Setting ... should modify Joe.
B. In 1984, Joe Kittinger, setting a distance record, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. we don't need a pronoun. The subject is already Joe.
C. In 1984, Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. - Correct
D. Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe Kittinger set a balloon distance record in 1984. Passive
E. Joe Kittinger, in 1984, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a new distance record,becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. highlighted portion misses a conjunction such as 'and'

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:37
TaN1213 wrote:

A. Setting a distance record, in 1984 Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. Dangling modifier. Setting ... should modify Joe.
B. In 1984, Joe Kittinger, setting a distance record, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, and he became the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. we don't need a pronoun. The subject is already Joe.
C. In 1984, Joe Kittinger piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a distance record and becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. - Correct
D. Having been first to cross the Atlantic solo, and with a voyage from Maine to Italy, Joe Kittinger set a balloon distance record in 1984. Passive
E. Joe Kittinger, in 1984, piloted his balloon from Maine to Italy, setting a new distance record,becoming the first balloonist to cross the Atlantic solo. highlighted portion misses a conjunction such as 'and'

Thanks TaN1213 for explanation

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
SSSNW wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:

Thanks TaN1213 for explanation

Welcome. That's what we are here for.
Best way to thank someone on this portal is to give a kudo. :)

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 12:55
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Re: Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 12:55

Setting a distance record,in 1984 joe kittinger piloted his

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap