Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [21]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Several critics have claimed that any contemporary poet who writes for [#permalink]
GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma

Although i understood the passage, but the answer choices seemed very difficult to comprehend and link to the conclusions. Can you experts please shed some light on each answer choice and its meaning and how it relates/not relates/affects the argument.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Several critics have claimed that any contemporary poet who writes for [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Several critics have claimed that any contemporary poet who writes formal poetry—poetry that is rhymed and metered—is performing a politically conservative act. This is plainly false. Consider Molly Peacock and Marilyn Hacker, two contemporary poets whose poetry is almost exclusively formal and yet who are themselves politically progressive feminists.

The conclusion drawn above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) No one who is a feminist is also politically conservative.

(B) No poet who writes unrhymed or unmetered poetry is politically conservative.

(C) No one who is politically progressive is capable of performing a politically conservative act.

(D) Anyone who sometimes writes poetry that is not politically conservative never writes poetry that is politically conservative.

(E) The content of a poet’s work, not the work’s form, is the most decisive factor in determining what political consequences, if any, the work will have.

Train yourself to read the argument critically i.e. identify gaps while you read.

Several critics have claimed that any contemporary poet who writes formal poetry—poetry that is rhymed and metered—is performing a politically conservative act.
Critical say that formal poetry writing is a politically conservative act.

This is plainly false.
Conclusion: Critics are wrong.

Consider Molly Peacock and Marilyn Hacker, two contemporary poets whose poetry is almost exclusively formal and yet who are themselves politically progressive feminists.
These two poets write formal poetry but are politically progressive feminists.

I see the gap. The premise says that the poets are progressive. But format poetry writing is a conservative act. So until and unless I can say that anyone who is a progressive cannot commit a conservative act, this needn't be false.

We need the conclusion to be logically followed. So we should be given that anyone who is progressive cannot commit a conservative act.

(A) No one who is a feminist is also politically conservative.
Irrelevant. We need to link the kind of person with the kind of act.

(B) No poet who writes unrhymed or unmetered poetry is politically conservative.
Irrelevant. We don't know anything about poets who write non formal poetry.

(C) No one who is politically progressive is capable of performing a politically conservative act.
Correct.

(D) Anyone who sometimes writes poetry that is not politically conservative never writes poetry that is politically conservative.
We don't know anything about poets who write non conservative poetry.

(E) The content of a poet’s work, not the work’s form, is the most decisive factor in determining what political consequences, if any, the work will have.
Irrelevant. Doesn't link act to the person.

Answer (C)

Thank you so much VeritasKarishma for prompt response. Well , i am trying to read the argument critically and inculcate this habit of pre-thinking. But i seldom able to fill the gap with correct assumption without looking at the answer. I solved LSAT 700 level questions just on assumptions, however the accuracy was only 50%. At that point , i was not using any pre-thinking. I just read the passage and try to answer the question by looking at the answer choices. But it seemed that i was taking too much time on average like 2 min 30 secs . Thats when i thought of resorting to pre-thinking.

Any suggestions on how to progress on pre-thinking would be appreciated.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts