GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Should i mention my previous MBA experience for my future MBA app.?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Should i mention my previous MBA experience for my future MBA app.?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 11:12
Hello GMAT Club folks,

I am writing this post to get some guidance from the community regarding my resume and whether or not i should mention few things for my future MBA Application.

To fill you guys in, I have been a student at Rotman School of Management for less than a year and attended a full semester of MBA. I have not been very satisfied with the school and have already put my MBA on hold from Rotman. I am looking to apply to a better (super elite) school in the US and was wondering if i should mention anything about Rotman in my application?

I have also been very active while i was at Rotman and have a couple of accomplishments, but again i am not sure if i should mention anything about it. Do you think mentioning anythign about Rotman could negatively impact my application in

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Should i mention my previous MBA experience for my future MBA app.?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 13:23
I will say that you may have to depending on what the school requests in the application process. Some schools request all transcripts from degree bearing institutions and also on your resume unless you include your time at Rotman how will you explain the time gap?

I will say if you choose or have to mention your time at Rotman, be prepared to have a well thought out response to why you chose to leave and what will be different if you attend their school. It is pretty rare for students to leave an MBA program once they matriculate so you will need a clear explanation, which still will probably invite some doubt. Overall feedback is to make sure you are honestly including the information requested by the school and be prepared to explain your situation at Rotman

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Should i mention my previous MBA experience for my future MBA app.?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 13:57
I should have been clearer... It was a part time program and i am working full time. So there isn't any gap. Also, i did not complete a full degree, just a semester. Does that change your answer?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 23:11
Hey nitinjaitely ,

I would not prefer you to mention the same. Since you attended the program for less than a year and that too didn't complete it, I believe it may have a negative impact on your application. If not so, you may have an extra overhead of proving your point.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 23:47
nitinjaitely wrote:
I should have been clearer... It was a part time program and i am working full time. So there isn't any gap. Also, i did not complete a full degree, just a semester. Does that change your answer?

If you were working full time, you don't necessarily have to list your part time academic pursuits, esp if you weren't happy with it. That you decided to quit midway may bring up uncomfortable questions. Best to leave it unmentioned.
Two questions you should ask yourself however,
1) What is it you are seeking from a school and what post-it? (What are your Career goals, therefore what is it in a school that would help... and so on, and why would you expect that "it" to be different at those schools that you apply to hereafter.. Try to write down an answer to this question.
2) Has enrolment and the part time MBA meant your work has gone on the back/side-burner. If yes, you need to be able to jack that up, many notches (if you want to apply to full-time MBAs) .

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 03:13
nitinjaitely wrote:
Hello GMAT Club folks,

I am writing this post to get some guidance from the community regarding my resume and whether or not i should mention few things for my future MBA Application.

To fill you guys in, I have been a student at Rotman School of Management for less than a year and attended a full semester of MBA. I have not been very satisfied with the school and have already put my MBA on hold from Rotman. I am looking to apply to a better (super elite) school in the US and was wondering if i should mention anything about Rotman in my application?

I have also been very active while i was at Rotman and have a couple of accomplishments, but again i am not sure if i should mention anything about it. Do you think mentioning anythign about Rotman could negatively impact my application in

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Hi nitinjaitely,

Considering this was a part-time program and you not mentioning the same will not lead to the creation of a gap in your profile, it is recommended that you avoid mentioning that you ever took this up. This will save you an additional explanation, as well as any negative feedback from the Admission Committee.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should i mention my previous MBA experience for my future MBA app.? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 03:13

Should i mention my previous MBA experience for my future MBA app.?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap